ABS light is on but no code thrown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light is on but no code thrown

Peanut74

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles
My '97 Exploder has thrown me a msytery that I can not figure out. My ABS light is on but when I take to the shop to get the code read there is no code stored. I have taken it twice thinking that maybe the second time it was in memory. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Having the mechanic tell me, "Keep driving it you should be fine" is not a very comforting thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a fairly common problem is that the speed sensor on the rear axle can go out. also check that the 2 front ABS sensors to make sure they're not caked with crud and that the wires aren't damaged.

You're going to need a slightly more powerful code reader then just a normal code reader that pulls engine codes. ABS codes are a different set. You can go to Advance Auto Parts or another auto parts store and they should be able to tell you what is causing this code to be thrown.

On both of my Explorers that I have owned, it has been the ABS sensor in the front hub. If you find out that is the culprit, then it is a pretty easy fix to swap in a new hub. There is a walk through on this forum for how to do it.

Well I took the front hubs apart and cleaned of the sensor ends in addition I also cleaned off the sensor in the rear end. The light is still on so that does not appear to have been the problem. The next step I am thinking of trying is replacing the speed sensor in the rear end.

Cleaning them doesn't necessarily fix them. Find a mechanic with a good code reader. If the light is on, the error is recorded. I easily read mine with a Snap On Scanner.

Back