ABS problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS problems

Ramza414

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hi everyone
Not only did I buy my first explorer yesterday, I bought my first Ford.
I have to admit that I'm not really a gearhead so my lingo may be wrong but i was hoping someone could help me with this issue.
I have a 94 explorer completely stock. The ABS light was on before i bought the truck so the previous owner changed the left front ABS sensor. The light went out when he did.
So here's the problem. With the sensor hooked up, the last 10 feet or so of all my stops are very rough and i can feel some feedback in the brake pedal. It usually chirps the tire. With the sensor unhooked, everything works as it should, except the ABS light is on.
Thus far, we have bled the brake and that didn't help.
Right now, I am driving it with the sensor unhooked so that everything works right. But this is something i would like to fix.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect 1 of the front abs sensors. The ABS light will stay on but the truck will finally stop properly.

It's possible your ABS module needs to be bled, which can only be done with a special (expensive) tool. I had to take mine to Ford after I did a complete brake system rebuild last year...had symptoms like yours...and that fixed the problem. Also, make sure the face of the sensors are clean, a wire brush will do that.:usa:

What is the possibility of the new sensor being bad from the factory? Would you need to change out both sensors? It seems that if you just replace a sensor and never crack a line in the brake system that it would be a bad sensor. Is there any other way to bleed the ABS unit without the dealership?

Back