• Register Today It's free!

abs problems

ramren16

Reaction score
City, State
greeley, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
after hours of reading this website for and answer with no luck. what is the process to checking to see if a front sensor is working i.e. volts tests? and how would one clean the sensor i looked for the sensor and i i could find was the line , do i have to take the rotor off to get to the sensor to clean it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any ideas

after hours of reading this website for and answer with no luck. what is the process to checking to see if a front sensor is working i.e. volts tests? and how would one clean the sensor i looked for the sensor and i i could find was the line , do i have to take the rotor off to get to the sensor to clean it

One would check with a scanner capable of ABS diagnostics. The free Autozone one can't handle it. You should be able to get a decent deal on a Snap-On MT2500, now that all the tech are/have switched to the Modis.

Once you have an appropriate scanner, first look for codes. Each wheel speed sensor has it's own code for a failure. (ie; one code for a LF sensor prob., different code for RF , and another for Rear sensor) You can also view live sensor data. Obviously, if you are on a straight, dry road and one sensor has a different speed than the other(s) , then it's not working right.

I would also check the wiring carefully from the wheel up to the plug by the front bumper. Both of my front sensor wires got torn somehow. No, you can;t just splice them back together. It won't work, as the slight increase in resistance, even with a good splice, will mess up the data from the sensor. This will cause erratic ABS operation and/or codes.

To address one of your other questions: You can't clean them. The sensor is bolted into the hub. Despite what some other people will tell you, it's almost impossible to remove a sensor from the hub. The sensor seizes to the hole in the hub, and it usually snaps in half when you try to remove, w/ half staying in the hub, with no good way to get it out. Yes, you can buy just the sensor/wire pigtail if you look hard enough, but they are just as expensive, or more then just buying a complete hub assembly (which almost always comes with a new sensor/wire already installed- if it doesn't- don't buy it).
Besides, it's not the type of sensor where "cleaning" would have any improvement. It's a magnteic pickup type sensor. The only thing that could mess it up, which you could clean, would be metal shavings attached to the magnet. But, if that's the case, then your hub is going bad anyway.

This is one of those times when you need the proper equipment to accurately diagnose a problem. Of course you could pay a shop to read the codes/offer a diagnosis, and do the physical repairs yourself.

What problems are you having? Why do you suspect the front sensor over the rear? 99% of the time ABS light is caused by the rear sensor.

What problems are you having? Why do you suspect the front sensor over the rear? 99% of the time ABS light is caused by the rear sensor.
im having the typical abs signs, it all started a couple days ago the light would come on then turn off if i restarted the car, then the abs started kicking in when i could stop(light still on) now light is just off for good. about 2 months ago i replaced the passenger fron hub the hub i bought was very cheap light $100 so im thinking the sensor on that one when bad already

Have you replaced the rear sensor? They're like $27 from Ford

Have you replaced the rear sensor? They're like $27 from Ford

or $16 or so from autozone. That cured my funky ABS light issues. You can measure reasistance of the sensors, thats what I did. That narrowed it down to the rear sensor.

ok finally found a place that has a abs scanner midas for $35 i am willing to pay that and not just through parts at the car i will let you all know what i found out tommorrow is still think it is the FR sensor

Before you spend the money, take a multi meter, set it to measure resistance, and measure the resistance of all three sensors. I know the rear sensor should be like 1000 ohms, mine was zero, so i replaced it and all was well. I'll edit this post in a second once I find out the resistance values should be.

abs.jpg

I just checked my BWD rear sensor and it reads 1080 ohms. It was defective from new, so there must be other issues with the sensors other than resistance. It triggered the ABS light as soon as I went over 20KPH. I put in a Ford sensor and I had no issues with that one

Pulling to driver's side

I'm having a similar issue: when I push my brakes, the abs engages every time, creating a pulsing sensation and pulling my truck drastically towards the driver's side. I recently changed my pads and rotors, but I cannot find anything that we might not have reconnected or possibly broke. I'm going to try the resistance test in the morning, but please let me know if anyone has any other ideas on what to check. The brakes worked perfected for over two weeks after we changed everything, and if I remove the two fuses for abs, they work perfectly again. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. Also, inh's diagram was great. Got anything for the front?

ok after getting the code scanned the code is c1145 what is that

Front wheel sensor malfunction. Test the resistance on each of the sensors.

Great info I gotta go check mine now.

hardywo-I have the exact same problem. According to a Ford TSB if pulls to right then suspect the sensor on the passengers side. I bought a new Ford Hub assm with sensor, plan on replacing it Saturday along with lower ball joints. As inh said though, check the resistance. I plan on doing that before replacing the Hub assm. I will look for the Ford TSB and post it once I find it. It only pertains to slow stopping/false activation of ABS. My ABS light does not come on when this happens.

F Why Eye, replaced the whole Hub with New Sensor (FORD OEM) today. ABS problem is gone (so far). Slow False Activation of ABS when stopping under 10 mph, pulling to the left. Replaced Passenger side HUB while doing lower ball joints. Good Luck.

I am having a simular problem but when I put a computer tester on it and press on the pedel the readingd disapears and I have to reset the scaning computer. I do get a reading that the Boo is working. I was told I have a bad ABS computer....does this semm right?
98 ford exp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

finnaly fix my problem after taking a look at the sensor it had a lot of cream color grease all over the sensor after cleaning it of i havent had a problem yet it must have been the hub with a lot of extra grease in it

Back