• Register Today It's free!

Ac conversion to propane

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
Okay, my truck is r 12, as I understand, their is a coolant called 406 A that perfectly replaces r 12. Or their is propane, which, is what everyone used before all these people ended up dieing back in the 1920's.
I have read the posts about converting to r !34. They all say the same thing, basically change everything, right. So it was sugessted to me that all the AC places are scamming me. All I need to do is buy the 40$ converstion kit, dont change anything, put 134 in the truck, and I will have AC, maybe not the very coldest, but nonetheless AC. At this point, when I push down on the Ac valve there is a slight hiss.
So Should I take the $40 dollar gamble, buy the kit and hope,or use propane on a system that has a leak!!! Or live without ac this summer in the desert. I mean it is dry heat right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO I would not put propane in your A/C system. The problem ( if the vehicle doesn't explode) will be that the propane will not lubricate the compressor and it will burn up or seize.

I am going with it

Like the looks of the 12 replacement. Do I also need to order the can of oil. And Maybe I should go to a shop and have it pumped clean? Funny, I lived in Cameron Nc for years. Thanks neibor

Freeze 12 is a great replacement. It blows alot colder than 134 and there is no need for a retrofit kit. I use it in both of my trucks. My brother turned me on to it several years back. He used it in his 73 grand prix. He could turn on his defrost in the middle of august (the hottest and most humid month here in Arkansas) and frost would form on the outside of his windshield. If that isn't cold enough I suggest you move north. lol

Can anyone tell me how much refrigerant the explorers system holds?

Back