Air will not come out through the vents | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air will not come out through the vents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar problem on my 97 XLT Explorer 4x4 w/ 3 knob A/C control. When using Max A/C and going up a hill, the vent shifts to defrost. I assume that I have a vacuum leak in the lines to the vent system somewhere. I checked the vacuum canister and the vacuum line from the engine manifold all the way to the connection behind the glove box with no problems noted. With the glove box door disconnected I noted that the recirculation door did not actuate with Max A/C selected (also while driving). Has there been a problem with leakage at the control unit?

I thought that I had throughly checked the vacuum line... Turns out the line to the water valve vacuum motor had touched the exhaust manifold and was leaking. A quick splice and everthing is back to normal.

So how is the best way to access the "globe"? Through the engine compartment or from under the truck thru the fender well????

There is a 4" round globe thingy in the front passenger wheelwell,behind corner lamps.It has 2 hard vacuum lines attatched to it. Check that those lines haven't broken-disconnected

Jt smith---looking at this thread for similar issue with my 04 XLT. I could not locate the reservoir behind either front wheel well.

Any suggestions for other possible locations?

thanks,
N

Jt smith---looking at this thread for similar issue with my 04 XLT. I could not locate the reservoir behind either front wheel well.

Any suggestions for other possible locations?

thanks,
N
I have to plead ignorance--sorry.

jt--I know this seems to be a recurring problem that has appeared in many posts. But all the solutions, drawings, and pictures make reference to models below 2000. In my case, it is an 04 XLT, so I am wondering if maybe Ford discontinued the use of the black ball during some year, and now uses some other mechanism.
I stuck my hand in both front wheel wells, prodded around, removed panels, and did not see the black ball, nor a space in which it would fit. Maybe I need to look behind the glove compartment. Although this excellent post
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125962&highlight=vacuum+motor

keeps mentioning the actuator motor and the recirc function. Is that related or the same thing as the issue with the vacuum line to the black ball?

N

I believe that all Ford vehicles since the invention of the air conditioner have got a vacuum reservoir. They are all different shapes, find your AC vacuum lines at the firewall, and follow them out to the reservoir. Good luck,

CDW--thanks for your reply. I followed a white and black line that go into the firewall, and they go into the glove compartment. Behind it, is a black container. Not round, but rather like a large vitamin pill. It has a black line that goes into it, and if you take it out, it makes a suction noise. Therefore, I assume this giant pill is indeed my elusive vacuum reservoir.
Now that it is found. I took out the line, and reattached it, and while doing so put the AC on normal and MAX----no difference. So, I assume that my problem is not caused by the reservoir, but maybe the recirc motor that is not closing that vent. Where is that recirc vent located?
I checked all fuses, and they are fine.

Thanks again all,
N

The recirculate function is basically always a vacuum switch, simply a diaphragm where the vacuum line goes. Look under the glove box at the few choices, it's usually right there. In the 95-01's it is a white vacuum line.

I found the culprit!!!!
I found a small motor that has an arm that slides in or out. In front of that arm is a black knob that rotates to open or close the air vents for defrost/max (the recirc!!).
However, that arm is not attached to that knob at all, and thus the problem. It doesnt look like anything is broken, but it appears that something must be misting to attach that arm to that knob. I called 2 Ford dealers, and they don't find anything that could act as a fastening clip or screw. I tried a home solution, but not sure if I want to do that. It looks as though I am missing some small clip or fastening device that has caused this problem.

Thoughts?
N

Post up a picture for us, that sounds like the vacuum switch I mentioned. If it is electrical then I need to know about it for another project.

Explorer Vents That Do Not Blow Very Hard

Sorry
trying to insert pictures, but not working properly.
I finally did a home remedy to the problem, and it works fine.
I have the jpegs on my desktop. If someone can post instructions on how to instert pics (sorry), then I can put before and after shots.

N

I believe that you have to be Elite to upload pictures. You can locate them on a free website and use the URL for them instead.

My ac isn't blowing out the front vents but only out the defrost. The dealership said it would cost me $1166 to fix. This peice they found broken and called it the recirculation arm. Can i fix this? What is this part actually called?

IMG_1999.jpg

sprince32

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem, but my symptoms are different. Both lines lead out from the round globe one goes to the break line and the other is dangling freely in the eingine compartment. It still has a connector on it which tells me it came off of another hose the same size. The problem is I cannot find where this second vacume line goes as there is nothing within its reach that it could connect to. I have had the wheel, fender off to look at it clearly and cannot for the life of me find where this bugger connects. I am in a 02 ST 4.0 SOHC. Any pictures or explanations would be greatly appreciated, will take pictures and post to photo bucket if needed, but it HOT herein the Southland!

Thanks,
R

Back