Access thru the firewall? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Access thru the firewall?

hatris

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited that I am prepping to tow behind a motor home. I am installing a brake controller that requires running a small vacuum line and a couple of wires from the engine compartment thru the firewall to run near the brake pedal. Any body have any suggestions for access - so far, I have not found an easy access hole - Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited that I am prepping to tow behind a motor home. I am installing a brake controller that requires running a small vacuum line and a couple of wires from the engine compartment thru the firewall to run near the brake pedal. Any body have any suggestions for access - so far, I have not found an easy access hole - Thanks.

I hope yours is not 4wd...

The Police Modifiers Guide for upfitters is on the website www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com

It shows where Ford recommends going through the firewall.

Yes - it is a 4wd....why?

Unless it will be on a trailer (all 4 tires), you will run into a lot of issues. The Explorer has to be in accessory mode while towing because of the AWD system. Accessory mode will kill your battery if you do not start it every few hours.

Lots of discussions on this issue. If you were 2wd, you would not have to worry.

I remember one member hooking some type of trickle charger up while towing to combat the battery draining. Regardless, a PITA because it is technically an AWD system which requires the electrical system to be on.

I have a 2013 Interceptor Utility

I've tried running wires for my offroad LED's through the designated spots on the upfitter website, but am not able to locate the points they are speaking of under the glovebox, and am wondering if these holes have just been sealed up.

What would be the path of least resistance if I were to drill thru the firewall to run a cable or set of cables?

So, I need to access the battery of my 2016 Explorer from the interior cabin. I have been under the drivers dash for 20 minutes with a flashlight looking for access through the firewall. It's great that ford took the care to nicely seal the cabin, but.....is there any way to get through the firewall that I am not seeing? All my other vehicles had an access plug, wire harness with extra space that I can slide a wire through, or some way into the engine compartment. This Explorer seem to be tightly sealed. Any ideas?

Just a note for Explorer's: these cars have a battery management system so be sure to connect the ground to the car frame, NOT the battery. Otherwise the battery discharge rate will not be in sync with the BMS. On another note, power is also accessible from the fuse box under the steering wheel column.

Thank you.
You say you have a 2016 but your profile doesn't indicate that. Please update your profile with the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) so it shows in the margin. That is useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

Hi all,

I'm replacing my 2008 Mountaineer with a 2014 Explorer XLT. Since I am an amateur radio operator and a firefighter, I am looking for help with locating access points / grommets on the firewall from the cabin of the truck to the engine compartment. I'll will be running a power and ground line from the cabin to the battery, as well as antenna coax to the front cowls.

I know I can hook up through the fuse panel but I rather keep the radio equipment on it's separate circuit / fuses for obvious reasons. Also for the antennas, I have the sunroof option so I'm limited with mounting an antenna on the roof at this time.

Any information and advice is greatly appreciated. Also if you have similar set ups (scanner, two-way radio) with photos that would be appreciated also.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm replacing my 2008 Mountaineer with a 2014 Explorer XLT. Since I am an amateur radio operator and a firefighter, I am looking for help with locating access points / grommets on the firewall from the cabin of the truck to the engine compartment. I'll will be running a power and ground line from the cabin to the battery, as well as antenna coax to the front cowls.

I know I can hook up through the fuse panel but I rather keep the radio equipment on it's separate circuit / fuses for obvious reasons. Also for the antennas, I have the sunroof option so I'm limited with mounting an antenna on the roof at this time.

Any information and advice is greatly appreciated. Also if you have similar set ups (scanner, two-way radio) with photos that would be appreciated also.

Thanks.

Ford Police Modifiers Guide shows the recommended grommet to use.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/modGuide.html

Hi all,

Thanks.
Welcome to the 5th generation Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one. Here is also a thread you may find of interest.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/any-2011-ham-radio-guys.328688/

73's Peter

Thank you all. Hopefully when I get everything done, I'll post some pictures

Aftermarket sound system for 5th gen

which part of the firewall do i run a 0-4 gauge power cable through?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys not sure which forum to post this in so if this is in the wrong spot please move it.

Since my last explorer was totaled and I have a new one I need to get a radio, inverter, cell amp installed. The main issue for me is how to get power from the battery into the cab of the vehicle. I have hear you cannot go thru the firewall anymore for anything. I would like the stuff mounted under the rear seats or in the cargo area. If I can just figure out how bring power to inside the vehicle i'll be good. Any ideas?

Back