CA - AZ "newbie run" Truck Haven Oct. 20 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CA - AZ "newbie run" Truck Haven Oct. 20

I finally got my tow hooks, tow strap, and my CB today. so now I know I will be able to be pulled out easier hehe.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doh!

Wow, I'd love to join the party!!! :roll:

It's just that my buddy and his wife are flying in from Chicago on the 20th and I'll have to talk them into going offroad right after the landing :D

I took my bone-stock truck to the calcite mine in march. Unfortunately it was at dusk and so I didn't get to see much of the view up there. But the trail was real nice and I do need to go there again - at dailight. ;)

Finally I'd like to meet some enthusiasts in person and see some hardcore offroading. :)

...goblin, be sure to get that cb tuned with a swr meter before you try and transmit on it...;)

LOL yeah well I hope I get my stuent loan atleast a week before the run so I can get my 4.56 gears and then I know I wouldn't have any trouble lugging this thing over the pass :confused: lol. If I get the gears I am gonna put in a locker in the rear. :D

Did you get your student loans from "Studentloanstouseforwheelin.com" or what?:rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

im tryin to get ready :D
100_2455.jpg
100_2456.jpg
100_2457.jpg

Did you get your student loans from "Studentloanstouseforwheelin.com" or what?:rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

how did you know.;) hehe

Actually I am getting the student loan to pay for some bills because I can't work at the moment. I am spending all of my free time taking care of things at my grandpas house so I don't have the time to work.:rolleyes:

oh and I don't have a meter anymore, my dad tok my last one. I have been listening around for the heck of it.

I can't wait to hit the dirt. I am really needing it hehe :D:cool:

oh and tbars, HA ha.

oh and I don't have a meter anymore, my dad tok my last one. I have been listening around for the heck of it.

If you don't get it set/checked before the trip.. I'll have my swr meter in the truck with me with at truckhaven (It stays in the truck since its a small thing).

~Mark

If you don't get it set/checked before the trip.. I'll have my swr meter in the truck with me with at truckhaven (It stays in the truck since its a small thing).

~Mark

Kewl thanks man..:thumbsup:

hey goblin, are you wanting someone to possibly tow your load or just be there in case? because we can hook up if you want.

hey goblin, are you wanting someone to possibly tow your load or just be there in case? because we can hook up if you want.

I would just like to have someone be there just incase. I was able to pull it over the hill on the 52 from lakeside to my house ok. I am just not sure on how it will do over the pass by Julian.:rolleyes:

I just rebuilt the trans and I am not sure if it will over heat the trans or not.:confused:

Just remember use DRIVE not overdrive when towing:cool:

I've been working on mine too:D I put the tube doors back on the front, and gave everything a once over before hitting the trail.

I've just got to get my rear hatch fixed still. I'm waiting on a replacement latch and pushrod. Mine's fubar. The door only opens from the inside.

Just remember use DRIVE not overdrive when towing:cool:

Oh I know. I don't use overdrive too much because it is kinda week at the start. I think I wont have too much troble as long as I don't go over 45mph up the hill.:D

I am just not sure on how it will do over the pass by Julian.:rolleyes:

Go around the pass by taking the 78 out of Ramona, then north (left) on SR-79 at Santa Ysabel, then right onto S-2, then left onto S-22 into Borrego Springs. Then the only big hill you have to worry about is the Montezuma Grade past Ranchita into Borrego. You also avoid all those twisty tight turns around Julian, which is no fun with a long vehicle/trailer combo.

You live in Santucky or San Diego? If you live in north San Diego (Mira Mesa / Poway / Scripps Ranch areas) then take Scripps/Poway Parkway up the hill to SR-67, then up the hill to Ramona. Its a steep grade, but only a few miles long. I drove the Explorer up that many times towing a 2500 pound trailer, and now I drive the 16,000 pound RV pulling the Explorer up same hill.

Go around the pass by taking the 78 out of Ramona, then north (left) on SR-79 at Santa Ysabel, then right onto S-2, then left onto S-22 into Borrego Springs. Then the only big hill you have to worry about is the Montezuma Grade past Ranchita into Borrego. You also avoid all those twisty tight turns around Julian, which is no fun with a long vehicle/trailer combo.

You live in Santucky or San Diego? If you live in north San Diego (Mira Mesa / Poway / Scripps Ranch areas) then take Scripps/Poway Parkway up the hill to SR-67, then up the hill to Ramona. Its a steep grade, but only a few miles long. I drove the Explorer up that many times towing a 2500 pound trailer, and now I drive the 16,000 pound RV pulling the Explorer up same hill.

I only live about 4 miles from you maybe 5 miles. I know I can make the scripps poway parkway because I drive to ramona all the time and I have no rouble with out the trailer. I never thought about the other rout around julian instead of through it.

I was wondering if anyone was gonna go on Friday the 19th at all. I was thinking of heading out that day as log as someone else was too.:rolleyes:

I think I will be able to make it. All I have to do is make sure I just go slow and don't push it too much.:D

I want to go out friday also. Maybe i can follow you Froader, given you know where we are going and i haven't a clue.

I should be able to make it out Fri. too, probably late afternoon or hopefully the boss man will let me have a short day and I can come out earlier:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would like to go out friday, since i've only been once and missed half of it.

Back