Access through the firewall/bulkhead for wiring. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Access through the firewall/bulkhead for wiring.

rwp1946

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Aerostar XLT 4L RWD
Hello all

does anyone know of any access holes or knockouts in the firewall/bulkhead in and around the steering column ? I need to run some wires from my brake control and trans temp gauge from the passenger compartment to the battery area .... also the trans temp gauge sending unit wire....

Now... in the past I have just drilled a hole through near the steering column where there is a blank space.... BUT ... I thought I should ask this esteemed group of knowledgeable experts if they know of any holes or knockouts I haven't found ....

Regards.... Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Previously drilled holes were on previous vehicles..... this is new vehicle for me and wanted to make sure I didn't miss any potential knockouts that I didn't know about.... will drill hole... and, yes, use grommet....

I'm not totally familiar with Aero's firewalls, but isn't there a cable for the throttle or something? I've always just poked a hole there and passed through:

IMG_2585.jpg

That's an Explorer, but maybe there is a similar place?

Many thanks for the tip.... will take a look

There are places to go through, but they are limited to the number of wires, and gauge of the wires. If there are many wires, then it's best to drill a hole, and use a large rubber grommet. Approximately how many wires are you planning on snaking through the firewall?

Back