Adaptive Cruise Intermittently Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adaptive Cruise Intermittently Working

brett5534

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Limite
Last summer on a long trip the adaptive cruise control quit working while driving. Figured something was lodged by the sensor and washed the car off and it still didn't fix it. Since then it has worked upon first starting the car for anywhere between an hour to just only 5 minutes. No engine codes or anything else appears, just a message stating the sensor is blocked and adaptive cruise is not functioning. Does anyone have any ideas on what is needed to diagnose or repair? If a new sensor is needed will a dealer have to program it? Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Brett. :wave:
Have you checked to see if it could be a bad/loose connector at the radar unit?

Peter

So I have an 18 Platinum and I started receiving that message after owning the car for a couple of years.. But it was intermittent, even on the same drive.. It would allow me to turn it on, but then 20min later kick off and throw up the sensor blocked message on the dash and then later let me turn it back on without having to restart the car. Took it to the dealer and they said the bracket is bent which is causing the module to fail (never had front end damage while I owned the car, but did buy it used). The brackets are a fail point for a lot of manufacturers when it comes to AAC based on videos I've seen on YouTube / TikTok.

Luckily I have a warranty which covered the repair as the cost was close to $3K (for both the bracket and a new module). And yes a dealer would have to program the new module for distance purposes.

You can go under the car and find the module. It should be behind the bumper towards the bottom near the drive side fog light. For me it is behind a piece of plastic (I know I have a 16-19 redesign with a different front end).

See if you can get the module to move. if so it may just the bracket which is the problem and not the module.

Back