• Register Today It's free!

Add a leafs & TT setting

justanother1

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT; 97 XLT
I have just purchase a 97 ex 4.0sohc with 3.55 gears and 31s on it. Someone has cranked the torsion bars down (lower) from the factory setting. I want to do a tt twist and add a leaf. Does anyone know what the factory tt setting is? I'm sure that I can use our 96 ex as a reference point to get a 1.5" tt twist. What are add a leaf is everyone using? I have found a short add a leaf but can't seem to find a longer one. I want to set this up to handle a heavy load on my trailer. I already know that the tow limit is 4600lbs according to the owners manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats funny....why would someone lower the torsion bars with 31's? Those barley fit in the first place

Any easy, inexpensive way for the rear is the air lift. Easy install, and could lift the rear end about 3-6in. idk about the front tho, if you have coil springs then yes but if you don't then you cant use them in the front. I install these kits at my shop on a daily basis.

i believe a lot of people use the f150 springs in the back to get a little more lift. As for the torsion bar does the ex look raked? (front lower than the back) or does it look even? If it's raked I would think you could just tweak the bars until it looks level on both sides and that would be your factory setting, or close to it. Than you can work from there. Good luck:thumbsup:

I would say that someone de-adjusted (lowered) the front to get a smoother ride or to level the front with the back. It looks level front to back. I'll see if I can get a set of f150 springs for the back. Should I use all the leaves except the main ply or just add 1 leaf from the f150?

the drivers side always has the gangster lean so it will never get completely even in the front...

How much does an air lift cost? how easy is it to install?

How much does an air lift cost? how easy is it to install?

You could get a setup for the rear for around $200, and for the front, they don't make a lift for the front for an explorer, if you have coils then all you need to do is get the front setup from the same year but an f-150 they just slide inside the coil, If its all stock suspension then you could easily get 3in lift,The front I would imagine not costing any more than $250 at the max. Tho its not meant to lift the truck just for the purpose of lifting it, its used for loads and such but It could handle everyday use. You could go all out and get the onboard air system but then your talking about upwards of a grand. Instead its just a schrader valve.

so for add a leafs, u can just get an f150 leaf pack from the same year model?

ok before someone goes out an buys a F150 leaf pack i will let you know you are not buying the entire pack since they are WAY too big for the explorer. You can take some springs out of the pack and put them in your pack. IMO your better off putting in an Add a leaf system which will get you a level lift. As for air bags in the rear i would only do that if towing not for lifting. 3 inches of lift will not be obtained and if you even tried that you will be messing with the driveline angles for the rear axle.

ok before someone goes out an buys a F150 leaf pack i will let you know you are not buying the entire pack since they are WAY too big for the explorer. You can take some springs out of the pack and put them in your pack. IMO your better off putting in an Add a leaf system which will get you a level lift. As for air bags in the rear i would only do that if towing not for lifting. 3 inches of lift will not be obtained and if you even tried that you will be messing with the driveline angles for the rear axle.

I have the air lift on my ranger, It bumped it up to just around 6in. I have had this on there for bout 2 years now, and no problems with the driveline angles. idk if its just luck but its doin ok lol Not to bash on your parade or anything lol I think it works, but to two its own.

Easiest: Put in an add-a-leaf kit, then crank up the front to level it out.

I wouldn't worry about finding the stock settings right now unless there is rubbing or something.

BTW, the F150 leaf swap was about the same amount of work, but much more expensive. My rear springs were sagging really badly, so I didn't think an add-a-leaf kit was the best for me. I wanted all new parts. Its been a couple of years and everything is still great.

The add-a-leaf you need is the pro comp one, it will be the easiest and most economical thing to do. And for the front just crank the torsion bars up enough to get it level with the rear. And don't forget to get an alignment after you adjust the torsion bars.

The add-a-leaf you need is the pro comp one, it will be the easiest and most economical thing to do. And for the front just crank the torsion bars up enough to get it level with the rear. And don't forget to get an alignment after you adjust the torsion bars.

I have a question, the add-a-leaf since explorers have the spring under axle, will that lift it at all?? Or do you have to flip the springs over the axle??

The add-a-leaf will give you about an 1" to an 1.5" of lift. Spring over axle will give you closer to 6" of lift. I have a set of brand new add-a-leafs for sale if you want them $30 shipped. There's nothing wrong with them I just decided I didn't want to lift my truck.

The add-a-leaf will give you about an 1" to an 1.5" of lift. Spring over axle will give you closer to 6" of lift. I have a set of brand new add-a-leafs for sale if you want them $30 shipped. There's nothing wrong with them I just decided I didn't want to lift my truck.

what brand are they, and thats 30$ plus shipping??, could u please send some pics.
Thanks.

Hmm....Damn good price for new! Yea throw me some pics too would ya?? This might just turn into a for sale thread lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a place that will build you an add-a leaf for $52 plus $12 shipping. They also told me that they would build me a brand new spring pack with a 2.5" lift for both sides @ $205. This is a four leaf pack for each side with the lift already installed. Why take a chance with the used ones when these are so dang cheap?

Back