Adding Navigation Later | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

Don't know if this is helpful or not, there was a safety recall for some 2011 Edge/F150 where it actually updated the as built data, but for the BCM. Thought it might be helpful as it explained how to do it through IDS. The recall number was 10S14-S3.

Appreciate the thought however as I stated IDS locks out APIM ABD programming on purpose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding Navigation After Purchase

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to add navigation to the MyTouch after purchase?

Is yours equipped with the NAV software, and missing the SD card for it? Or does it not have the NAV option at all?

Some folks on here have added Garmin to their MFT interface, maybe they can chime in. I'm not sure if you'll need the factory NAV options, however.

No it doesn't have any nav. It has am SD card slot, if that means anything.

They're all equipped with an SD slot. Someone with more knowledge on the MFT system will have to chime in, but I'm fairly certain that you can add an aftermarket Nav system, somehow.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to add navigation to the MyTouch after purchase?
I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. I think you may find your answer here.

Peter

Can Add Aftermarket Only

Hi there… Just to be clear, first, the cars are all locked at the factory and they will not allow navigation to be unlocked afterwards… So you must get an aftermarket product installed on your car.

I do not know where you are located, but go to any specialty auto shop that specializes in customize Asians such as window tinting car starters, and other gimmicks and gadgets… In Ottawa I was quoted $1500 for the lowest price To integrate a navigation system which will run on the same screen as you have on your XLT model or higher. There is no navigation system that I am aware of for the base model… They require the touch screen with my fork touch

Add in Navigation

I can only assume after a few years now that no one has found a way to put navigation into an existing Explorer?

I had thought it was simply a matter of adding in the antenna and changing out or adding a module here or there and was hoping four years out since buying my 2011 that someone would have nailed this but I guess not??

Nope. Ford has the software locked down pretty good. Even knowing people on the inside is of no help.

Actually, there is a way!
All you need to do is to find MFT with Navigation from some wrecked Explorer, swap it and here you go!
Its been done by Foci people, check this out:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529066

You would need to find one that has all the same option that yours contains within the MFT screen plus NAV.

I am working on adding NAV and am confident it will work but it requires programming hardware. There is a seller on ebay selling replacement APIM for your vehicle VIN with NAV added for the low price of like $1300 if recall correctly.

You would need to find one that has all the same option that yours contains within the MFT screen plus NAV.

I am working on adding NAV and am confident it will work but it requires programming hardware. There is a seller on ebay selling replacement APIM for your vehicle VIN with NAV added for the low price of like $1300 if recall correctly.

AS far as I know Explorer's MFT has only so few different configurations: with/without Nav and same with back-up camera, all the rest is totally the same, so it is not a big deal to find MFT with Nav and back-up camera from wrecked Ex and swap it in, it is gonna be wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper. MFT from totaled Foci comes as low as $200.

There are a lot more differences than that. It totally matters if u have heated seats steering wheels etc. Basically anything that can be controlled via the display should be the same option wise. Also matters what stereo you have (Sony versus non Sony). You also won't get the navigation menu in the right side of the instrument cluster by just swapping out the APIM. You will still be stuck with the compass only there.

Just an update on adding OEM NAV to a non NAV vehicle. I have done some extensive playing now. I have three test APIMs for my vehicle, lol. NON NAV APIMS do not have a NAV license and this seems to be the key. I can push changes to add the NAV software and tell it that it has NAV software but without the NAV license (which all NAV APIMS have the same license) it will not function. Until it can be figured out how to add the NAV license the only way is to get a APIM with NAV and then reconfigure it for your vehicles options which you need special tools for.

There is a place on ebay doing this for $1200 where you swap out APIMS. Pricey but I have offered a similar type deal for Taurus owners for $500 now that I can alter the data, just not the NAV license.

Just an update on adding OEM NAV to a non NAV vehicle. I have done some extensive playing now. I have three test APIMs for my vehicle, lol. NON NAV APIMS do not have a NAV license and this seems to be the key. I can push changes to add the NAV software and tell it that it has NAV software but without the NAV license (which all NAV APIMS have the same license) it will not function. Until it can be figured out how to add the NAV license the only way is to get a APIM with NAV and then reconfigure it for your vehicles options which you need special tools for.

There is a place on ebay doing this for $1200 where you swap out APIMS. Pricey but I have offered a similar type deal for Taurus owners for $500 now that I can alter the data, just not the NAV license.

So basically you still cannot add navigation after the fact? What exactly does someone get for the $500?

So basically you still cannot add navigation after the fact? What exactly does someone get for the $500?

A used APIM with nav configured for their vehicle and a A5 nav card.

Guys-I have stated multiple times in this thread that your best option is the IGO system. It's a far better navigation system then the ford system. It utilizes your existing touch screen. Nothing about your vehicle changes! When my wife bought her explorer the vehicle didn't have a nav system. The dealer said of course they could put nav into it. They were up front and explained the IGO system. To be honest unless someone knew it wasn't a factory system you wouldn't know.

IGO is easier to update, able to be used while driving, interfaces with all media, and web capability if you pay for it. Aside from that every gas station, restaurant, and available attractions are mapped.

I believe the cost was around $1600 installed.

Navigation HELP Question Titanium Focus?????

So my mother in law buys a focus titanium. It has the big screen and does not have navigation?
I thought the titanium is the loaded version???
If I buy her the A5 sd card what else will she have to have done to get the navigation to work?
Does the dealer have to do anything software wise??? It says information where the navigation button usually is on the top right on the main home screen.

HELP HELP HELP

So my mother in law buys a focus titanium. It has the big screen and does not have navigation?
I thought the titanium is the loaded version???
If I buy her the A5 sd card what else will she have to have done to get the navigation to work?
Does the dealer have to do anything software wise??? It says information where the navigation button usually is on the top right on the main home screen.

HELP HELP HELP

Not that easy. You'll have to swap out the "big screen" to one that had navigation from the factory. Homework, homework, homework.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that easy. You'll have to swap out the "big screen" to one that had navigation from the factory. Homework, homework, homework.
Some homework has been done. jmr061 has put OEM nav into non nav Explorers. Not sure if he can do the same for the Focus.

Peter

Back