How to- Fiberglass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to- Fiberglass

Hey Guys im woundering what all is required to fix fiberglass. Say im workign osmethign that is already fiberglass, but want to fix a hole in it. I know that to build speaker boxes out of Fiberglass you use Fleece and all that, but i dont think that would be practical in a situation liek this. SO can someone give me a run down. Do i jsut cover the 'glass in resin and lay it over it since i already have the form and curviture? Also after i let that dry, do i cover it with bondo and sand it out till its smooth?

What is some supplys i need to purchase? I know 'glass, resin, Brushes, Whatelse?

Thanks for the help, also any tips would be appreciated...

Thanks

-Caleb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They sell fiberglass reinforcing mat. Dip the mat in the resin until it turns pretty clear then apply like a bandaid. Be careful of bubbles though. Other than that you will need the resin, hardner, something to mix them in, and sopmething to spread them on. Using the bondo topcoat saves a lot of work if you can do it. I'm no expert, so I'm sure someone wil add something else important that I am overlooking.

i think you'll find it easier not to dip it. dipping it really seems to encourage bubbles. rather paint just enough resin on the surface to get it sticky, then place the matting on then blot the resin on top tamping down airbubbles with the brush. then stack another piece of matting on top and do the same thing. 3-5 layers is good for most repairs (although you didn't say what- and as many as 10 or so are necessary for some things automotive)

Well upon closer inspection today, i got soem big stuff i need to fix, getting some one professional to do it is not an option, My brother is good at fiberglass, and my dad use to make Boats outta fiberglass, so i have all the help i need, But im tying to do this on my own, without them, i will get some pictures later of what the problem areas are, for surface scratches cn bondo jsut fix them??

Thanks Guys

-Caleb

Home Depot baby!

They've got a fiberglass "fix" kit for like $10. It's got resin, tape/mat, and everything. HEre are the key points:
1) Do it outside.
2) Wear rubber gloves or don't get any on your hands.
3) The compound is photosynthetic, so it won't dry unless in direct sunlight; no matter if the temp is 60 degrees, or 90 degrees.
4) Sand down between applications to get rid of bubbles. After the first layer or two sand with 60 grit. After the next couple of layers sand with 130 grit. Next layer 200 grit. End with 1000 if possible.

Hope all this helps. Let us know what this is fixing and we'll probably be even more help!

Karl

This is Fixing some holes in a dune buggy.

Heres a Picture, I will get soem pictures of the areas i need to patch up today as i clan it up....

5.JPG

Thanks for the help guys

That dune buggy looks like it will be real fun once it is done. :)

karl_burns said:
3) The compound is photosynthetic, so it won't dry unless in direct sunlight; no matter if the temp is 60 degrees, or 90 degrees.

That must have been my problem. Ir was cold and dark this winter, and I couldn't get it to dry. This fact will help me greatly.

Helped me....

I wanted my speaker pods to dry and left them outside in 85 degree weather for 6 hours. Resin was still wet. Left them in the sun for 10 minutes and they were hard as a rock.
Figured it out.
Karl

Back