Adding Sirius | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Sirius

factory nav is WAY overpriced. pick up a Pioneer AVIC-D3 (its their 2007 model) for $900, get the Pioneer SIRI-PNR2 module for $75, and youre set!

It's not WAY overpriced on ebay. If you are a sharp buyer, you can get the Ford (Pioneer) unit for around $1000 and retain the steering wheel controls along with the ability to use my motorola bluetooth hands free kit (Ford wiring harness) through the factory radio.

I just (personally) didn't want to screw around with aftermarket stuff, particularly when the stock one is such a nice system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory nav is made by Pioneer. Besides, by the time you get done spending $$ on adaptors and all the other crap you end up needing you could have just spent the money for a factory unit anyways and be done. The factory antenna you have to drill a hole in the roof. much cleaner than having that wire going from the antenna down to the weatherstripping.

have Sirius - want Nav too

Hello all, I'm looking at buying an 06 X which has the factory audiophile with Sirius but no Nav. I would like to add the factory Nav but unsure where the GPS antenna is mounted. Does the NAV share the same roof mounted factory antenna that the Sirius uses or is there another GPS antenna mounted somewhere else in the vehicle.

Would appreciate any advice from folks who have made this upgrade.

Hello all, I'm looking at buying an 06 X which has the factory audiophile with Sirius but no Nav. I would like to add the factory Nav but unsure where the GPS antenna is mounted. Does the NAV share the same roof mounted factory antenna that the Sirius uses or is there another GPS antenna mounted somewhere else in the vehicle.

Would appreciate any advice from folks who have made this upgrade.

They use different antennas.

The factory nav install takes about 20 minutes if you take your time. The antenna is located on top of the speedometer cluster (under the dash), but on mine I just placed it under that little tray in the center of the dash w/ some good velcro.

The trick is getting a Nav system programmed properly for your truck and options.

I bought mine from:

Robert Lederer
Chicago Parts & Sound, LLC.
635 Wheat Ln.
Wood Dale, IL 60191
Phone: 630-350-1500
Fax: 630-350-0178

Fair price, lightning fast shipping, and an authorized Ford parts dealer, they will properly program prior to shipping.

They use different antennas.

The factory nav install takes about 20 minutes if you take your time. The antenna is located on top of the speedometer cluster (under the dash), but on mine I just placed it under that little tray in the center of the dash w/ some good velcro.

The trick is getting a Nav system programmed properly for your truck and options.

I bought mine from:

Robert Lederer
Chicago Parts & Sound, LLC.
635 Wheat Ln.
Wood Dale, IL 60191
Phone: 630-350-1500
Fax: 630-350-0178

Fair price, lightning fast shipping, and an authorized Ford parts dealer, they will properly program prior to shipping.

Great news! Thanks for the info.

Hello all, I've found quite a few different units with "18C963" in the part number but they have different part numbers otherwise. Are any differences that I need to be aware of between the differerent versions as far as connectivity or fit? Also, will I need a special bracket to mount it behind the kick panel?

Looks like the going rate for used OEM unit is around $150...but that does not usually come with antenna. As long as it all works, that's a good price compared to the $375 aftermarket sirius kit sold on the previously posted website.

Sirius with no sound

dwink, think I may have found your problem. I just downloaded the Ford Tech DVD from http://www.fordcds.com/ (had to turn back my pc date to make it work...otherwise it says expired). There is a detailed description of every TSB. I will probably run into the same issue when my Sirius comes in. Even after reading the TSB, I'm not sure what harness I need given that I have moonroof but no DVD...don't see that option. I wonder how the aftermarket harness work?
-------
Here's an extract of TSB 06-14-2:

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer 4dr / Mountaineer vehicles may experience the Satellite Digital Audio Receiver System (SDARS) with no sound coming from the speakers. This may be due to the vehicle having the incorrect DVD jumper harness installed.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check radio speaker operation, check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and verify correct DVD jumper harness is installed utilizing the parts listed based on vehicle content. The radio will appear to function normally, but no sound will be coming out of the speakers. There will also be no DTCs present in either the audio control module (ACM) radio or Satellite Digital Audio Receiver System (SDARS) module.

2. A quick check is to have the tech pull back the c-pillar trim panel on the passenger side and check if the correct harness was installed.

3. The following is a list of DVD jumper harnesses and which applications they are to be used with SDARS.

Engineering Number Radio Application
6L2T-18B971-AK Harness - Less SDARS, With Moon Roof And With DVD
6L2T-18B971-BD Harness - Less SDARS, Without DVD
6L2T-18B971-CH Harness - Less SDARS, With DVD But No Moon Roof
6L2T-18B971-DF Harness - With SDARS, With Moon Roof And With DVD
6L2T-18B971-EC Harness - With SDARS, Without DVD
6L2T-18B971-FE Harness - With SDARS, With DVD But No Moon Roof

4. If the correct harness is installed, yet there is still no sound coming from the speakers, perform normal diagnostics as outlined in the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00.
5. If the incorrect harness is installed, order the appropriate harness for vehicle application and install as required following WSM.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-14588-DA Harness - With SDARS, With Moon Roof And With DVD
6L2Z-14588-EA Harness - With SDARS, Without DVD
6L2Z-14588-FA Harness - With SDARS, With DVD But No Moon Roof

same problem

dwink, did you get your radio working? I just got my 18C963 model in and had the same problem as you....no sound but all the channels are there. Curious if your new wiring harness fixed the problem.

Thanks

1. Check radio speaker operation, check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and verify correct DVD jumper harness is installed utilizing the parts listed based on vehicle content. The radio will appear to function normally, but no sound will be coming out of the speakers. There will also be no DTCs present in either the audio control module (ACM) radio or Satellite Digital Audio Receiver System (SDARS) module.

2. A quick check is to have the tech pull back the c-pillar trim panel on the passenger side and check if the correct harness was installed.

3. The following is a list of DVD jumper harnesses and which applications they are to be used with SDARS.

Engineering Number Radio Application
6L2T-18B971-AK Harness - Less SDARS, With Moon Roof And With DVD
6L2T-18B971-BD Harness - Less SDARS, Without DVD
6L2T-18B971-CH Harness - Less SDARS, With DVD But No Moon Roof
6L2T-18B971-DF Harness - With SDARS, With Moon Roof And With DVD
6L2T-18B971-EC Harness - With SDARS, Without DVD
6L2T-18B971-FE Harness - With SDARS, With DVD But No Moon Roof

4. If the correct harness is installed, yet there is still no sound coming from the speakers, perform normal diagnostics as outlined in the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00.
5. If the incorrect harness is installed, order the appropriate harness for vehicle application and install as required following WSM.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-14588-DA Harness - With SDARS, With Moon Roof And With DVD
6L2Z-14588-EA Harness - With SDARS, Without DVD
6L2Z-14588-FA Harness - With SDARS, With DVD But No Moon Roof

So Step 2 up there says to pull the c pillar trim panel on the passenger side, A pillar is the windshield, B pillar is between front and rear door, Is the C pillar behind the rear door?

I have the harness, it is big, 6 feet or so, just want to dig in the right spot first.

TIA

I just purchased the sirius receiver and I have the nav already. How did you remove the kickpanel by the passenger side, and how did you get the harness all the way to the radio? Also, what did you end up doing for the Satellite Antenna? Thanks, any help would be appreciated?

Others may have different experiences, but this is what worked for me.

well it turns out (for at least 3 of us so far) that you can't tap into the factory plug in the kick panel....it results in no sound. Again, it’s worth a shot as you may have a different harness for whatever reason. More than likely, you need a specially made Phase II harness modified with a Delphi DLP plug….such as this one:
http://radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=2U6F-14588-BAM

though you "may" be able to get additional line-in with this one (like on 07 models). not sure if it would work on an 06..but looking back I wish I would have tried.
http://radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=2U6F-14588-BAMI

If you are using an OEM Ford/Visteon Sirius unit, then you will need an antenna with a FAKRA-type SMB connector. I used this one and put it out of site on the roof by the tailgate (wires hidden by slipping under panels….cable is just long enough).
http://www.satelliteradioexperts.co...html?zmam=7837956&zmas=1&zmac=7&zmap=SIR-MINI

You could also get the OEM antenna from Ford parts dept, but it requires you to drill a hole in front of the sunroof....which I think is slightly risky not to mention ugly IMHO.

Kickpanel is very easy to remove. Just pop off the sill plate cover, then pull kick panel back (towards rear of truck) to release clips. If you were lucky enough to get an OEM bracket with you Sirius unit...then you are all set. Otherwise, I just made a very simple bracket adapter to mount the unit to the stud (about mid-way up inside the kickpanel) and bolt hole that is about a foot lower than the stud and behind the insulation.

The hardest part was getting the new harness plugs to fit behind the Nav….damn it is tight. I had to do some strategic zip tying and stick a long skinny screwdriver back in there to push on them as I pushed the Nav back….and even then I got some scraped fingers. The harness I had made for me (before I found the one from “radios and more”) is waaaay longer than it needs to be for kick panel use. I zip tied about 5 feet of it on top of the cage above the glove box ....then just routed enough down to the kick panel to plug into the Sirius…you’ll see a routing path once you stand on your head with the glove box down and kick panel out. Not sure if the harness I linked above is as unnecessarily long.

From what I and a few others have experienced, you shouldn't need to reprogram the Nav to add the Sirius...the "SR" media menu just shows up when the Nav detects it plugged in.

Can't say I love lack of features of the OEM unit (no artist search, no channel listing, no channel names on presets buttons, no scrolling song titles, no pause/buffer, etc)....but hell....suppose that's the price ya pay for having it in-dash. I have also notice it drops out very quickly if go under an overpass or tree….not sure if it is my antenna or just a lack of good buffer.

Good luck

Thanks for the In-depth post, I might just end up going with the new stiletto sirius portable receiver, and purchasing the 06/07 specific mount

(http://www.cellularmount.com/order/itemdetail.asp?ID=3113)

This might provide the most bang for my buck out of usefulness for sirius radio.

you still have to take the dash apart to install that aftermarket bracket. install the stock delphi unit you bought. it works great with the nav unit. you will be happy with it.

you still have to take the dash apart to install that aftermarket bracket. install the stock delphi unit you bought. it works great with the nav unit. you will be happy with it.

yup...not to mention an 06 has no OEM audio line input (I don't really consider FM broadcast a good solution)....so you'd have to install some sort of adapter to get that capability.....last I checked PIE didn't make one for our applition, though there may be other sources. I gripe about the OEM Sirius capabilities, but wouldn't trade the clean install for aftermarket....even if it means another $10/month for portable recevier for other vehicles (which I do).

Thanks GH for the post on the Ford TSB. Got the correct cable from Ford for $37.00 and everything works perfect now.

Slightly different, but will any of the aftermarket units be compatible with the Ford Sirius unit? Or, will the Ford antenna connector attach to any of the aftermarket brands? I have the factory Sirius, but I want to change the head unit. I do not wish to remove teh antenna that's already installed.

Slightly different, but will any of the aftermarket units be compatible with the Ford Sirius unit? Or, will the Ford antenna connector attach to any of the aftermarket brands? I have the factory Sirius, but I want to change the head unit. I do not wish to remove teh antenna that's already installed.

From what I understand, all of the Sirius units use the same antenna connector. So, you can re-use your existing antenna, but the module will not work with aftermarket head units.

From what I understand, all of the Sirius units use the same antenna connector. So, you can re-use your existing antenna, but the module will not work with aftermarket head units.

Actually they do not. As mentioned in the earlier posts, the Ford unit used the FAKRA style SMD connector.....I looked at other Sirius antennas that came with the aftermarket module kits and the ones I saw were a different type. Though I'm sure you could splice the plug....but not ideal solution. That's not to say that you couldn't find an aftermarket with a FARKA style....I just didn't see any in my initial search.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually they do not. As mentioned in the earlier posts, the Ford unit used the FAKRA style SMD connector.....I looked at other Sirius antennas that came with the afternarket module kits and the ones I saw were a different type. Though I'm sure you could splice the plug....but not ideal solution. That's not to say that you couldn't find an aftermarket with a FARKA style....I just didn't see any in my initial search.

I'll stand corrected to this point... the FORD SIRIUS module connected right up to to a SIRIUS brand antenna.
(Which BTW worked perfectly under the outside cowl as stated in another post.)

Back