• Register Today It's free!

adjust timing on v-8?

pufferfish

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mounty 5.0
before you say it, i searched and the words are too vague to come up with anything specific. so, yes, i probably has been discussed before but i can't find anything.

i was taking a look at the 5.0 in my mounty. it has a connector running out of where the distributor would be with the basic distributor clamp. is this where the computer reads crank/cam position for timing? if so, can it be loosened and turned to gain a higher base timing like a distributor can? if so, are there timing marks and a pointer and is there a spout connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

before you say it, i searched and the words are too vague to come up with anything specific. so, yes, i probably has been discussed before but i can't find anything.

i was taking a look at the 5.0 in my mounty. it has a connector running out of where the distributor would be with the basic distributor clamp. is this where the computer reads crank/cam position for timing? if so, can it be loosened and turned to gain a higher base timing like a distributor can? if so, are there timing marks and a pointer and is there a spout connector?

Noooo!!!
Do not move this, it is the camshaft position sensor
It times the fuel injector pulses--ignition timing is determined by the crank position sensor--
Your best bet for achieving performance is a PCM flash or a chip. This is where the timing curve is adjusted---

you need to do any tuning electronically.

good to know! glad i asked! thanks!

Back