Adtlas Edge 521000 rear wheel bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adtlas Edge 521000 rear wheel bearing

joachimf

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Dear @all,

just in the process to overhaul the rear axle of our '02 Explorer 4.0 M/T RWD.

Received the rear wheel bearings and plan to install 'em the coming weekend. Bearings came from Transbec in Canada, "Atlas EDGE 521000'.

Does anybody have experience with this product?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of them, but they can't be any worse than those originally installed on your X. I suggest getting a press and doing your own as there will certainly be more bearings in your future.

Removing the old bearing may involve damaging it; not a problem. However, installing the NEW bearing requires care not to place PRESSING FORCE through the bearing assembly. The press-fit of the OUTER RACE (bigger diameter) into the suspension knuckle must be done by pressing on the narrow exposed "ring" of material around the big diameter. This may be done using an appropriately-sized BIG socket wrench, usually a 3/4" drive, as a "pressing sleeve".

Likewise, pressing the HUB into the bearing's inside diameter must use support from beneath on INNER RACE only.

imp

Just an FYI... I recommend using saved parts of the old bearing inner / outter races to use as pressing sleeve tools. I certainly agree with care being taken so as not to apply pressing force thru the new assy. You don't want to inadvertently load the bearing the new bearing.

Just an update:

The Atlas Edge bearing went in easily. Old one came out in one piece and spindle was still usable.

Back