After a Year of Anticipation...... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After a Year of Anticipation......

I finally put something after market on my truck...:D

I got my Birthday money from my parents and decided to brighten things up a bit (Pun intended).

All the lights are cheapo's from HF or Meijer. The top set are the "off road lighting system" you can buy and then the amber fogs are the 14.99 ones that are just basic 55w lights. The stock Fog lights were all but destroyed so I replaced those with the aux driving lights from Meijer. All in all, I've probably spent about 5 hours on it.
I soldered all the connections I could inside my house and then took them out and installed them. I had a Problem with my Soldering iron outside so I had to use Crimp Connectors :mad: I'm looking into getting a Butane Soldering Iron. I just can't get the Iron to get hot enough with a Plug in one Outside. Even when It's plugged directly into a Socket. It also is a Pain to back the truck up to the Side of the house just to get the iron in range. ;)

I have yet to Wire up switches in the Cab. I plan on getting relays and doing it the right way. Here's some pics.
PICT0502.jpg

These (Above) "off road lights" will have a Switch that will make them have three options. ON(always on)/Auto(brights)/Off. These are attached through the bumper. If you plan on doing this, Mind the teeth of your drill when you get close to the Grill, it'll eat up the chrome, Be careful.

PICT0503.jpg

These (Above) will be hooked up to the parking lights and have the same options as the off road lights except instead of brights, It'll be the parking lights. They are Attached to the Lower Valance. They do bounce a bit, but I don't mind.
PICT0500.jpg

These (Above) are the stock configuration. Not a huge Surprise.
PICT0504.jpg

These (Above)are all of them on.
PICT0494.jpg

My truck has White eye in this one (Above). (red eye for Trucks)
PICT0506.jpg

My "artsy" picture of them all on. Ready and Waiting for the sun to set. If you look hard enough, You can see my foot. Thank you for looking at my pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good keep up the good work

lookin good man... u mite wanna consider topping off ur lights with some clear housings for ur stock lights... u get alot more light on the road with clear lenses than with the stock ones

lookin good man... u mite wanna consider topping off ur lights with some clear housings for ur stock lights... u get alot more light on the road with clear lenses than with the stock ones

I thought they were clear? I mean, I can see through them. :D Har har har.

I actually don't know the difference. I'm guessing that the Stock are a bit less opaque (sp?) then true clear lenses? I'll search it up. Thanks for the Compliments guys.

Lights look good.

On the soldering iron problem, get a larger iron, say a 60 watt unit, they are still small enough.

I have found the butane units are not soo good.

I use a 60 watt iron and have no problem with soldering in all kinds of weather. Just watch the solder flow and don't burn it.

ltr,

I just bought a $20. "cold" soldering iron at Walmart on Sun. (nothing else open). Uses 4-AA batteries. It doesnt do as good a job as the iron & flux in sucking the solder between the wires but its OK.

I'm leaning towards the butane, I have a 30 watt right now. I do alot of work on my truck in places that don't have available electricity (ah, apartment life), so I think a non-electrical one would be good to have. Even if it's just a Backup. My wife almost baught me one of the cold irons, but I just don't like the idea. She got me a Drill instead I think. It's worked well. THanks for the Comments. lata.

I thought they were clear? I mean, I can see through them. :D Har har har.

I actually don't know the difference. I'm guessing that the Stock are a bit less opaque (sp?) then true clear lenses? I'll search it up. Thanks for the Compliments guys.

haha well yea theyre clear but ur rite... they have less reflective material in them and lets the light go directly to the road thru a flat, clear lens with an aftermarket housing... if u look at some of the others on here ull see... they get more light on the road and the color is less yellow

Back