Aftermarket springs/shocks to lift rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket springs/shocks to lift rear

63falcondude

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 2000 explorer EB edition with roughly 130k miles. The rear is sagging with the driver side even lower than the passenger side. It feels like I'm driving a boat when I go over bumps. Does anyone have something to recommend? I rarely ever haul stuff.

I'd like to raise the whole truck a little and make it better for driving in snow and slight "off-roading". I have the stock wheels and tires on it. My father recommended Monroe air shocks but reviews said they are best for hauling (which I don't do). Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace the leaf springs. Shocks only dampen & control the ride characteristics, and have nothing to do with lift.

Plenty of threads on this here. ;)

Thanks, ill look into it more.

Replace the leaf springs. Shocks only dampen & control the ride characteristics, and have nothing to do with lift.

Plenty of threads on this here. ;)

I disagree..
Load Adjust Shocks, the ones I have, will raise the truck.

They'll "raise" the truck, but not correctly or safely.

Look up Warrior 153 shackles (I think, been a while), Spring Over Axle, or Add A Leaf to lift the rear.

The sagging issue is the driver/fuel tank both being on the driver side. Most just swap their leaf springs from side to side to "help" it, but it WILL happen again.

Good luck!

I disagree..
Load Adjust Shocks, the ones I have, will raise the truck.

Lol. Ok. Those have springs on them do they not? Those assist sagging springs. If you have the drivers gangsta lean due to one spring sagging more than the other, your still not going to be level, and putting stress on the shocks to carry the weight, which the mounts were not designed for. There nothing but a bandage for the lazy mechanic.

Your missing the point. ;)

Rebuild, add, replace the springs for proper even lift. Why? Because I do know better and have gone thru this many times over.

Lol. Ok. Those have springs on them do they not? Those assist sagging springs. If you have the drivers gangsta lean due to one spring sagging more than the other, your still not going to be level, and putting stress on the shocks to carry the weight, which the mounts were not designed for. There nothing but a bandage for the lazy mechanic.

Rebuild, add, replace the springs for proper even lift. Why? Because I do know better and have gone thru this many times over.

Yes, I agree with you, but the shock mounts are fine with that weight. The factory air suspension for example. It takes a lot of weight and puts it on the shock mounts.
It's not to lift the rear end, it's to give a firmer ride and level it out a little.
In fact, mine gave me a slight lift, since I didn't have any rear sag.

Yes, I agree with you, but the shock mounts are fine with that weight. The factory air suspension for example. It takes a lot of weight and puts it on the shock mounts.
It's not to lift the rear end, it's to give a firmer ride and level it out a little.
In fact, mine gave me a slight lift, since I didn't have any rear sag.

The OP wants to take his rig offroad. Lets keep that in mind here.

Trying to fix sagging springs with helper shocks is not an answer for a permanent fix, and for offroad use. If you want to debate this further, we can in a different thread, as I am happy to break it down for you. ;)

I don't know anybody that offroads, and uses luxury street air suspension. I would love to see someone doing it tho. Be a good laugh. :)

For the price of a decent pair of shocks, you can replace the weak sagging springs and get your ride height back to stock or higher, and being level on both sides. It is more work, but anything worth it usually is. I built a set of 4" lift springs for $100. Took an afternoon to install them. Worth it? Hell yes it was.

:salute:

The OP wants to take his rig offroad. Lets keep that in mind here.

Trying to fix sagging springs with helper shocks is not an answer for a permanent fix, and for offroad use. If you want to debate this further, we can in a different thread, as I am happy to break it down for you. ;)

I don't know anybody that offroads, and uses luxury street air suspension. I would love to see someone doing it tho. Be a good laugh. :)

For the price of a decent pair of shocks, you can replace the weak sagging springs and get your ride height back to stock or higher, and being level on both sides. It is more work, but anything worth it usually is. I built a set of 4" lift springs for $100. Took an afternoon to install them. Worth it? Hell yes it was.

:salute:

He said slight 'offroading.'
And I said, I agree with you. They aren't for offroading. Proper coil overs in the front are, but proper leaf springs will always be better than a coil over shock in the back.

The load adjust shocks are about $25 more for a pair (compared to shocks alone) compared to $150 for a new set of leaf springs. If you need new shocks anyway, its a very economical option to get the load adjuster shocks with the helper spring.

The mounts were designed to carry load from the air shocks. Unless Monroe was extremely foolish, they wouldn't design their load adjusters to put more stress on the shock mounts than the factory air shocks, or they'd be exposing themselves to a ton of liability.

The load adjust shocks are about $25 more for a pair (compared to shocks alone) compared to $150 for a new set of leaf springs. If you need new shocks anyway, its a very economical option to get the load adjuster shocks with the helper spring.

The mounts were designed to carry load from the air shocks. Unless Monroe was extremely foolish, they wouldn't design their load adjusters to put more stress on the shock mounts than the factory air shocks, or they'd be exposing themselves to a ton of liability.

Alright now this is just getting out of hand. Bad or half truth info has run rampant lately. Enough of the half a** uneducated advise being thrown out there. I'm going to offer some thought on this last post. To the OP, I'm sorry your thread has become cluttered with all this, but it is important to the next person down the road that stumbles upon this.

"$25 more for a pair"
Really? For what brand/model? Shocks range from $15 to $2000. Depending on what your use is. Just throwing out a number like that is ridiculous.

"Compared to $150 for a new set of leaf springs"
Really? New or used? If new, do you have a link for them? Last I looked the cheapest set of new were over $300, and the Deavers I wanted were over $700. Call a dealer and ask what they want for a new set of stock leafs, HAHA! If you meant a new set of used stock packs, that's high. I can find em all day for $50. Geography can make a diff here, so I will let that go.

"The mounts were designed to carry load from the air shocks."
Really? Are you an engineer for Ford? Because you say so, everybody should feel safe, and take your word for it? Are you ready to be held liable for your statement, in case of a failure that ends up in someones harm, possibly a child?
Have you ever looked close up at the stock upper mount on a non air ride or a air ride equipped vehicle?
Can you tell me the difference in the mounts? Do you know the gauge of the stamped metal?
Do you know if they are riveted, bolted, spot welded or bead welded to span the frame? I can.
You believe that the engineers made the upper mounts strong enough, just in case some aftermarket company decided to make a load assist shock that will take weight off the leaf springs they designed to handle the weight? Really?

Speaking of... Monroe just made the parts, they didn't sell them, or install them in your vehicle. They have waivers built in every part they sell that holds them not liable for any damages incurred by YOUR decision to use them in your vehicle, and under your conditions used, and for what purpose you used them in. Next time you buy a new shock, read that little piece of paper inside the box. They have no idea what your going to use them on, when they made them. They tested and marketed them in vehicles equipped from the factory to use them safely, and mostly robotic arms in a test lab, and that's that. There is no liability to them for your mistake of improper install. Just because a company sells them or lists them under your vehicle, does not mean you should use them, it just means the data base shows the measurements, and the dimensions fit your vehicle, nothing more. It's listed on an algorithm software. Do you think that a company such as rockauto.com would be liable for damages incurred from a part failure? No, they will tell you your responsible for the research, and the proper install of the parts they sell. They will direct you to the manufacturer. Remember that liability waiver from them? Yeah, It's on you the consumer to actually use common sense and research on your own for your own safety and the liability falls on your shoulders for your actions. Make any sense yet?

If I was to use these rear spring over load assist shocks, I would replace the rear upper mount with a stronger mount. A carbon steel sq tube of 1/4"x1.5", spanning the width and bolted/welded to the frame.

As tempting as a 10 min install, instant repair sounds using these type of shocks, I would never install them to repair a set of sagging leafs, as I would just replace the leafs with good sets.

I have been using the Monroe load assist, shocks for 20 + years now on several ranger based vehicles, never had a problem,

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I am thinking that I want to replace the rear leaf springs to get rid of that lean and sagging. Also I would like to get stiffer shocks to stop the boat feeling. I would love for Eddie to get a small lift without looking dumb with the OEM wheels and tires.

When I said slight offroading I was referring to dirt roads, high snow, campsites, etc. not rock crawling or mudding stuff lol.

Alright now this is just getting out of hand. Bad or half truth info has run rampant lately. Enough of the half a** uneducated advise being thrown out there. I'm going to offer some thought on this last post. To the OP, I'm sorry your thread has become cluttered with all this, but it is important to the next person down the road that stumbles upon this.

"$25 more for a pair"
Really? For what brand/model? Shocks range from $15 to $2000. Depending on what your use is. Just throwing out a number like that is ridiculous.

Really? New or used? If new, do you have a link for them? Last I looked the cheapest set of new were over $300, and the Deavers I wanted were over $700. Call a dealer and ask what they want for a new set of stock leafs, HAHA! If you meant a new set of used stock packs, that's high. I can find em all day for $50. Geography can make a diff here, so I will let that go.

Really? Are you an engineer for Ford? Because you say so, everybody should feel safe, and take your word for it? Are you ready to be held liable for your statement, in case of a failure that ends up in someones harm, possibly a child?
Have you ever looked close up at the stock upper mount on a non air ride or a air ride equipped vehicle?
Can you tell me the difference in the mounts? Do you know the gauge of the stamped metal?
Do you know if they are riveted, bolted, spot welded or bead welded to span the frame? I can.
You believe that the engineers made the upper mounts strong enough, just in case some aftermarket company decided to make a load assist shock that will take weight off the leaf springs they designed to handle the weight? Really?

Speaking of... Monroe just made the parts, they didn't sell them, or install them in your vehicle. They have waivers built in every part they sell that holds them not liable for any damages incurred by YOUR decision to use them in your vehicle, and under your conditions used, and for what purpose you used them in. Next time you buy a new shock, read that little piece of paper inside the box. They have no idea what your going to use them on, when they made them. They tested and marketed them in vehicles equipped from the factory to use them safely, and mostly robotic arms in a test lab, and that's that. There is no liability to them for your mistake of improper install. Just because a company sells them or lists them under your vehicle, does not mean you should use them, it just means the data base shows the measurements, and the dimensions fit your vehicle, nothing more. It's listed on an algorithm software. Do you think that a company such as rockauto.com would be liable for damages incurred from a part failure? No, they will tell you your responsible for the research, and the proper install of the parts they sell. They will direct you to the manufacturer. Remember that liability waiver from them? Yeah, It's on you the consumer to actually use common sense and research on your own for your own safety and the liability falls on your shoulders for your actions. Make any sense yet?

If I was to use these rear spring over load assist shocks, I would replace the rear upper mount with a stronger mount. A carbon steel sq tube of 1/4"x1.5", spanning the width and bolted/welded to the frame.

As tempting as a 10 min install, instant repair sounds using these type of shocks, I would never install them to repair a set of sagging leafs, as I would just replace the leafs with good sets.

I appreciate your feedback but whats with all of the anger? Life's too short man :)

As a technician I see these so called "helper shocks" destroy more explorers then do good. They usually blow threw the upper shock mounting point and either pop holes threw the body into the rear cabin or cause excessive damage to brake lines and your evap system.

I regularly tell customer's to fix it right the first time or problems will occurr.

First off, you need to chill out. So generous of you to "apologize" to the OP for the rest of us posting such "half a** uneducated advise".

"$25 more for a pair"

A pair of load adjusting shocks is $83.79 from Rockauto as of 25-Mar-2014. A regular non-load adjusting shock is $30.79 from Rockauto as of 25-Mar-2014. So the load adjusters are about $24 more than the regular shocks.

What I said in my previous post:

"The load adjust shocks are about $25 more for a pair (compared to shocks alone)"

I was $1 off. You say that shocks are $15-2000. Sounds like you are throwing random numbers out, not me.

Really? New or used? If new, do you have a link for them? Last I looked the cheapest set of new were over $300, and the Deavers I wanted were over $700.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Ford_Explorer_Mountaineer_s/1883.htm

I believe 1991-1994 springs are interchangeable with 1995-2001 springs. If not, I apologize. 1991-1994 springs are $80 per side, 1995-2001 springs are $100 per side.

I'm not a Ford engineer, but I am an engineer. Irrelevant either way.

People should feel safe to use this product because Monroe designed them specifically for this application. Since this is a public forum, I am providing my experience and information in good faith and wouldn't do so if I thought it would expose others to harm.

Likewise, if someone decided to cut their frame support out (like you suggest below) and weld in a new one, damaged their frame in the process, and caused it to fail and kill someone, would you be held liable? Why not?

If the lawyers and engineers at Monroe had collectively half a brain between them, they would not design a shock that overloaded the frame on a stock vehicle.

It's rare that an aftermarket company even offers an alternate design like this. You can be sure they did their homework or there would be frames cracking left and right and lawsuit after lawsuit.

You really think Ford would install two different cross members based on the trim level? I don't. Maybe someone who worked at the Ford plant can chime in, but based on my experience in GM's fairfax plant, the frames are assembled early in the build process and standardized. The trim and optional content is added later.

It would be more trouble than its worth to save a few pennies on a different cross member stamping and maintain the logistics from it. And then what happens if one gets mixed up? Cross member breaks and Ford gets sued.

No, they would make the mount capable of supporting the maximum load of the air shock.

There is no liability to them for your mistake of improper install... Yeah, It's on you the consumer to actually use common sense and research on your own for your own safety and the liability falls on your shoulders for your actions. Make any sense yet?

You mean common sense, like if Monroe designed and manufactured a shock assembly specifically for 1995-2001 Ford Explorers, that it is safe to use on 1995-2001 Ford Explorers?

EDIT: What a coincidence! The maximum load from the optional air shocks (1,200 lbs) matches the maximum load on the load-leveling shocks (1,200 lbs). Monroe sure got lucky!

Load leveling
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=60655&cc=1119664

Air suspension
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=61802&cc=1119664

You completely missed the point.

Air ride is for street use.

The OP mentions off road in his original post.

The cross member shock mount is a thin stamped section of steel and the mounting holes are the weak point and can shear with the forces put in them off roading.

The dog bone mounts on the upper mounts are thin, and weak compared to a grade 8 bolt thru the bushing, combined with 1/4" square tubing commonly used for structural proven strengthened cross members, properly bolted and welded are much stronger than the weak thin stamped spam mount that is not a part of the frame other than some simple spot welds.

If you don't fabricate, build, and actually use what you build, your not going to understand the point.

For arguments sale, let's just say you obviously know better, have built plenty of off road rigs, have tested them across the country, in the harshest terrains, and know what works, and what will fail. Thanks for letting us all know your credentials, and sharing with us what you have done to be so knowledgeable in this.

So to anybody reading this, it doesn't really matter what we say, in the end, it's your deciaion to make.

The cross member shock mount us a thin stamped section if steel and the mounting holes are the weak point and can shear with the forces put in them off roading.

The dog bone mounts on the upper mounts are thin, and weak compared to a grade 8 bolt thru the bushing, combined with 1/4" square tubing commonly used for structural proven strengthened cross members, properly bolted and welded are much stronger than the weak thin stamped spam mount that us not a part if the frame other than some simple spot welds.

If you don't fabricate, build, and actually use what you build, your not doing to understand the point.

For arguments sale, let's just say you obviously know better, have built plenty of off road rigs, have tested them across the country, in the harshest terrains, and know what works, and what will fail. Thanks for letting us all know your credentials, and sharing with us what you have done to be so knowledgeable in this.

So to anybody reading this, it doesn't really matter what we say, in the end, it's your deciaion to make.

The crossmember is rivited in not spot welded, its very strong unless yours is a rust bucket, its thicker than the frame on all my explorers, and I dont think its possible for the Monroes to come through the floor of the truck, unless its just rotten, and if its bad enough for all that to happen then it shouldn't be on the road, like I said 20+ years I've been using these, hell one of my first sets was on my 74 Plymouth duster, 400+ HP 11 second car, ie hard launcher, I have towed crazy loads like 8000 lbs over rough terrain and blasted across fields with all my RBVs NEVER had a problem, they do fix the lean and sag and my oldest set is around 7 years old and still holding up my trucks ass, I dont off road, but i do play in the snow and travel on alot of dirt farm roads, they also stop the rocking boat feel on both 2 and 4 doors, and none of my 4 door trucks have the stupid 5th shock, it will give you passenger side lean if you install the monroes,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If his cross member is in good condition there's no reason the load leveling shocks would cause it to fail. The cross member is designed to take at least 1,200 lbs of force since this is what the air ride is specified at.

1,200 lbs for a stamped steel part is not much.

The cross member shock mount us a thin stamped section if steel and the mounting holes are the weak point and can shear with the forces put in them off roading.
If you don't fabricate, build, and actually use what you build, your not doing to understand the point.

You seriously need to lose the condescending attitude.

I'm not going to get into this but you have no idea if I "fabricate, build, and actually use what I build".

The OP asked about fixing the sag and making the truck better in snow and "light off-road". If you were building a rock crawler, then I would be inclined to agree, since you would be stressing the vehicle in ways that Ford could never have designed for.

However, the Explorer was built to handle snow and light off-road and I seriously doubt there's any risk of overloading the frame by doing so.

You said its his/her decision to make. So why would you get into liability like you did earlier?

Because you say so, everybody should feel safe, and take your word for it? Are you ready to be held liable for your statement, in case of a failure that ends up in someones harm, possibly a child?

Bottom line, a new set of leafs runs $160-200 and is the best end result. If you need to replace your shocks, the load leveling shocks are an extra $25 over the regular shocks. Both will result in better ride height.

Back