Aftermarket water temp guage help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket water temp guage help needed

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I am here at the shop trying to instal my Auto-Meter water temp guage.
A few q's.
It seems I have to remove the intake manafold to acess the two factory water temp senders. :( Does any one know which sender is ECM and which one is for the guage ? One conncetor is brown and one is gray.

Is there another option besides yanking one of the factory sendors ? How about brazing a nut onto the pipe that connects the upper hose? Will that give me a fairly accurate reading ?
If I do yank one of the factory senders what if I splice the two ECM & guage wires together ? Not wise it my initial thought, but,,,,,,

Any other thoughts ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which engine?

You have many options.
You can even put your sender in the hose leading to your heater core.
You can T one of the factory senders so they both work.

On the 5.0L and on the 4.0L OHV the sensor near the thermostat towards the drivers side (in the lower intake) is the one for the gage. But checking the wire colors is your best bet.

I disabled my factory gage and rely on my mechanical gage only.

Is your new gage mechanical or electric?

Getting the water temp from behind the thermostat is the best place to read the temps, it also allows you to watch a your thermostat opens. IE in my truck the temp will reach approx 205 and then drop to about 190 and then slowy raise to 200 again, where it sits steady.

Oops sorry
4.0 SOHC ( I have over 5,000 posts I should know better than to not put that information) ( I feel like such a newb :p )

It is an electrical guage.

On the SOHC there is very little room where the two sensors are. A T likly will not work. Not to mention I would have to remove the upper intake manafold to gain acess. Not a boat load of fun. Although why have a guage if I am not seeking my truest reading. *sigh*

I would prefer that my dummy guage still do something but I am not bound th that desire, push comes to shove.

Okay, I am going back into the shop to finnish my oil pressure gauge. I'll check back here shortly.

Putting it in the hose that leaves the lower intake a goes to the heater core may be a good solution for you, you can use a simple pipe T fitting and hose clamps

This will still give you an indication of the water temp, it does not vary a whole lot throughout the system once warmed up (except pre radiator and aft radiator, many people use two water temp gages to monitor both).

You could replace the fitting that feeds your factory gage, and then either leave the stock gage unhooked or hook it back up near the heater core.

the SOHC is a PITA for this, I have never really worked on them a whole lot aside from changing a thermostat (easy) and servicing the IAC and MAS.

Have you searched some Mustang forums for this? I would think alot of those SOHC guys would have done this.

The sender with one wire is the dash guage (PCM sender has two). I removed that sender and popped in my aftermarket sender. The dash gauge no longer works, but who cares, I've got a real gauge.

both connectors have two wires.

410Fortune said:
Have you searched some Mustang forums for this? I would think alot of those SOHC guys would have done this.

Can ya link me ?

Back