aftermarket wheels whats best spec? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket wheels whats best spec?

SB98UKexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
UK croydon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer 4.0 SOHC v6
im just having a nose on ebay for a set of rims with normal road tires, im just wondering whats the best size 22" or 24", also the offset and tire width?

Can the aspect ratio can give a better ride comfort if it was bigger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not a wheel person myself but youd probably have more luck in the usa section as well as they seem to respond a lot better

I spoke to a bloke who had put 22" rims and low profile tyres on his Ex and he said it banged and crashed over every bump in the road.
I would expect it would feel more positive going round the twistys though.
Have you ever seen one with big wheels and low profile tyres? Not sure if they look quite right too me. Tyres are also mega expensive.
Thats my twopenneth.
Kev.

Not a great idea- low profiles on these, the way the suspension is set up- the tyres are a vital part of it if even from a comfort point of view!
Certainly the back end is ancient tech.........Leaf springs really belong behind a horse not a car. I will when I am due tyres again just get a decent set of off road capable tyres and wack them on the stock rims.
Cant see the point of blinging her up too much- Its expensive enough to keep them in petrol at the moment!

Thinking of putting a set of General Grabber AT2 (50/50) on mine have heard good things about these, not too expensive either

i have one general grabber on the front of mine fab tyre not to noisey either,and dam near armour plating, hit a kerb and the kerb will move lol.

tread looks nice aswell and doesnt seem to get clogged up.
would like to get some more but had to buy normal ex goodyears to pass mot

(couldnt afford generals just to pass mot lol)

theres a guy here in essex whoim gonna use he said theres not gonna be that much differance between the 22s and 24s as soon as my money comes ill be at his door bling bling yes please

just remember, the more rim you put on there the less tire you'll have. so that's less of a cushion to prevent bumps and what not.

i'm personally looking for a good set of 18" or 19", because i can get a tire that will still give enough cushion so it'll feel good, and also not mess up my mileage and speedometer to much.

just some things to consider

yeah thats a good idea

Back