Aftermarket wheels | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

I'm looking at possibly getting the base model 17" steelies to mount my winter tires on. I was at the dealership yesterday and the parts guys couldn't confirm the 17s would fit my Limited. He said Ford has not supplied them with any specs and won't say which wheels are interchangeable on any of their models. He said the only way is for him to order one and try it. Oh yes, they ain't cheap. $174 for the wheel and $71 for the hubcap. All figures in Canadian $. The steel wheel for the 2010 was $84. He said the part numbers are not close to being the same and again, no specs to tell you what the difference is. I think I'll wait until one of the local tire shops gets it updated parts book next month and see what it says.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I ordered steel wheels for my previous car (2006 G6 GTP), I ordered them off of Tire Rack for $50 each...they served their purpose.

Hey, are you hanging out here now?

Hey Peter, been lurking for a while. Like you, I'm interested in the EX to replace my 09 Highlander in a year or thereabouts, so keeping abreast of issues, recommendations, mods etc being posted here.

Cheers.

I agree the 18" chrome edge wheels look great on the explorer! Dealer did a switch for me just so I could see! Wish I could find a set at a reasonable price! Would be interested in trading my 20" limited painted wheels for some good looking 18"

I like all black 5 spoke wheels on the platinums... here's one that kinda shows what I mean...

ExplorerDUBRender-white-zoom1.jpg

Actually, this one is real and looks better...

2011-ford-explorer-by-funk-master-flex-rear-view.jpg

I really like the ones on the Funkmaster Flex X but those 24s with not a lot of sidewall. The tires they have on there are about 7-8 mph off from original odometer. They do fill the wheelwells nicely though.

Nice find on the wheels, I like the look as wsell.

I looked into it and they do make them in 22s to fit but I don't know if they will have that concave look because 1. They wheels they show are 10.5 inches wide and 2. The X is FWD based instead or RWD like the Range Rover. If you check Vossen's website there are pics of FWD cars with 9 inch wheels like that and they are flat. The are suppose to make great wheels though.

You can see some on an X on KC Trends website showcase also. They look to narrow on there.

Does anyone know if the Edge Sport wheels will fit?

Per my wheel guy they the bolt pattern fits but the Edge wheels have a much larger center bore. He said he is not sure if the make a hub ring to fit put said you could get some made. The Edge wheels are nice wheels but if you are paying full price for them you would be better getting aftermarket.

Per my wheel guy they the bolt pattern fits but the Edge wheels have a much larger center bore. He said he is not sure if the make a hub ring to fit put said you could get some made. The Edge wheels are nice wheels but if you are paying full price for them you would be better getting aftermarket.
If the Edge wheels do have a larger center bore (they could very well be), that's not really that big of an issue if the lug nuts are the tapered acorn style nuts. Believe it or not, but no vehicle load is carried on the hub bore- it's all carried by the clamping force in about a 1" diameter circle around each lug stud. So a larger wheel bore isn't a big deal- you just need to make sure to tighten the lugs down almost all the way (if not all the way) with the wheel still in the air. This will allow the wheel to center itself with the help of the acorn lug nuts.

I've been doing this for years with the winter wheels on my wife's VUE.

w1kedz---

I've been trying to decide between these 2 for two weeks now :)

What size and type of wheel/ tire package is on your 2011?

jdsjds
I have the OEM 20" painted aluminum wheels with Yokohama Prada Spec-X tires. Dumped the Hankooks the day I picked up the Ex.

Looking into getting some new wheels because I hate the limited wheels. I have been looking around but have not had any luck finding any pictures really. I would like to stick with 20's and something in black, post up some ideas please.

Would you be interested in selling those?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and yes I would be interested in selling the stocks once I find something I like.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and yes I would be interested in selling the stocks once I find something I like.

Cool, send me a private message if that day arrives.

Does anyone know the offset of the OEM 20" wheels? I though I read somewhere that it is +25 but not sure. The wheels have the size on the inside of the wheel on one of the spokes.

got the better polished option rims (20's) with my limited. looking for 20's for nitto terra grapplers off road tires wince i already replaced one of the optimos that came with the car going off road. wouldnt mind seeing what folks think and any links to cheap rims for off road use i can swap out... thanks!

btw, im assuming our rims are 20x8.5 - what is the bolt pattern?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got the better polished option rims (20's) with my limited. looking for 20's for nitto terra grapplers off road tires wince i already replaced one of the optimos that came with the car going off road. wouldnt mind seeing what folks think and any links to cheap rims for off road use i can swap out... thanks!

Ben, I think the only off road type tire out there are the Nittos. I think they also make the size in the Dune Grapplers. It appears that there is a very slight rake to the Explorers so i bet someone will come out with a leveling kit that might allow a little bit bigger tire but not much. Good luck with your search.

By the way the stock wheels are 8.5 wide and bolt pattern is 5-114.3

Back