Aftermarket wheels | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

I could actually use a spacer on both front and rear.

I'm actually wondering how you got away with such a high offset?

I hope the combo of being lowered and a 25mm offset will work and won't poke outside the fender too much. I just cannot seem to find a definitive answer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear you, but it's a matter of choice, what one likes.

Like I mentioned, Tirerack rates the Paradas as all season.
The Contis where the only summer tire in the 285/40 size as I did not want a 35 profile. Although I was not enthralled with paying $131.50 more per tire, plus tax of course, but I personally had issues with the Parada busy tread pattern! Paying the extra for the tread pattern I like better was a no brainer for me. So in case you don't knowI bought new Edge Sport wheels from the dealer, $6k, (insane price)plus tax, plus had wheel adapters $340 made for the wheels to kick them flush with the fender lips (will
install in Spring)
So bottom line, is I bought what applead to me regardless of cost, not what
was better for my wallet.

285/40/22 is a difficult tire size to find. Lucky for me there were a few more choices at the 265/40/22 size. I looked closely at the Conti's and considered them as an option. Talked to a few car geek friends and asked their opinion. They all brought up two concerns.
1) The Conti's may not be strong performers during the Midwest spring and fall months when the temps could be in the 30-40's and wet and I haven't switched over to winter tires yet.

2) They all said the Yoko's would be a better 'summer' tire (April-Nov) tire for me, especially for the price difference and the amount of miles I drive. I do a lot of driving around the tri-state area to different golf courses. Best estimates were I would get two years out of the Conti's while they all thought 3 years for the Yoko's. Over a 10 year span (how long I hope to keep the Explorer) that would save me an extra $500 every year on tires. That's a lot of rounds of golf. :)

I love the Parada Spec X pattern on my Ex. I'm running a 295 series tire, so maybe that's why I like the pattern. Looks very aggressive, however I can see on a smaller tire not as wide it may look funny.

I hear you, but it's a matter of choice, what one likes.

Like I mentioned, Tirerack rates the Paradas as all season.
The Contis where the only summer tire in the 285/40 size as I did not want a 35 profile. Although I was not enthralled with paying $131.50 more per tire, plus tax of course, but I personally had issues with the Parada busy tread pattern! Paying the extra for the tread pattern I like better was a no brainer for me. So in case you don't knowI bought new Edge Sport wheels from the dealer, $6k, (insane price)plus tax, plus had wheel adapters $340 made for the wheels to kick them flush with the fender lips (will
install in Spring)
So bottom line, is I bought what applead to me regardless of cost, not what
was better for my wallet.

I love the Parada Spec X pattern on my Ex. I'm running a 295 series tire, so maybe that's why I like the pattern. Looks very aggressive, however I can see on a smaller tire not as wide it may look funny.
Ran them in the 255 series on my 2011 Explorer Ltd and they looked great.:thumbsup:

Peter

I accepted delivery of my new wheels today. I waited all day for them to be delivered. I was told between 10am and 5 pm. The truck pulled up in front of my house at 4:58pm. Talking about making a guy wait till the last minute... :)
FD0142A3-F305-4D0D-B2EE-C44B7867344B_zpswperaypc.jpg

I ordered the wheels with the TPMS installed. Tonight after i swapped out the winter wheels for the summer set, I started the Explorer up to go get some fresh beers (I got thirty while changing wheels) and I fully expected the TPMS warning light to light up and alert me. Only it didn't. I thought MAYBE there was a small chance the Explorer was still picking up the old winter tires since they were staked only a few feet away. But a trip to the store with engine shutoff and restart, and still nothing. I even took a drive tonight to see how the new wheels handle. I drove for about 30 minutes and put on over 20 miles. Still nothing.

Does anyone know if the Ford Explorer TPMS somehow resets itself without using TPMS programmer? I have a programmer ready to use, but at this point it doesn't appear I am going to get a warning.

P.S. I will post pics of the new wheels installed tomorrow. It was to dark for photos tonight by the time I got the wheels installed.

Unless the sensors are clonable/ programmable, you will need them synched every time you swap. Discount tire does it free of charge. Mine are clonable and they still cant get it right. They tell me its all good, and when the next season rolls around and I swap, sure enough the light is back. And back I go with both sets to try again

........Does anyone know if the Ford Explorer TPMS somehow resets itself without using TPMS programmer? I have a programmer ready to use, but at this point it doesn't appear I am going to get a warning.

P.S. I will post pics of the new wheels installed tomorrow. It was to dark for photos tonight by the time I got the wheels installed.
There are a couple of members who posted that the EXplorer automatically picked up the TPMS in new wheels they installed.

Peter

There are a couple of members who posted that the EXplorer automatically picked up the TPMS in new wheels they installed.

Peter

Thanks Peter. This must be the case with the Explorer. Because I certainly did not accidentally program the new stems, yet the TPMS is not giving me a warning.

This will be a huge relief. The method to get the system ready for programming is more complex than the old NES Commando game of up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, B,A, select, start. :salute:x30

For the Expedition it was something along the lines of pressing the brake pedal twice, turn the key to "on" (not start), off, on, off, on then brake again... or something like that. Then the horn honks and your ready to reset each tire starting with the driver front and working clockwise.

Thanks Peter. This must be the case with the Explorer. Because I certainly did not accidentally program the new stems, yet the TPMS is not giving me a warning.

This will be a huge relief. The method to get the system ready for programming is more complex than the old NES Commando game of up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, B,A, select, start. :salute:x30

For the Expedition it was something along the lines of pressing the brake pedal twice, turn the key to "on" (not start), off, on, off, on then brake again... or something like that. Then the horn honks and your ready to reset each tire starting with the driver front and working clockwise.
My dealer still programs mine every time I swap them. Those tires look like the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires I put on my 2011 Ltd.

Peter

I apologise for spreading missinformation, then. I did not think it woupd pick up the new sensors on its own

Good eye. They are the Yoko Prada Spec-X. They look GREAT wrapped around 22's. I will make sure I post plenty of photos tomorrow once I have some proper light to take pictures. I really like how my wheel set looks.

I apologise for spreading missinformation, then. I did not think it woupd pick up the new sensors on its own

No worries. I thought the system might be picking up the new TPMS, but considering I had never owned a system like that before I figured something else was up. I would have figured the exact same thing as you did until Peter posted what others had found.

As promised, here are some pics I snapped with the phone camera. I really like the tread pattern of the Prada Spec-X. Gives it more of a sporty feel.

5A9BA696-FC18-4A1A-9F85-6557103E6EB4_zpshcmrnxw4.jpg

22673F71-3560-4554-96CA-BA4873CA7CB1_zpsvrunnhbj.jpg

636DF36E-2BC9-411A-8479-D7FD12F2B1BD_zpsqdiqdemx.jpg

EB6D3FF5-2C2E-4914-BE5D-9358E8AF88F2_zpsfzigd9kf.jpg

89E29CBA-6623-4EBD-A10B-E4E1AEBEC010_zpswbxmjs1m.jpg

Looks good and it's still a great looking vehicle IMO.:thumbsup:

Peter

When I had my new Edge Sport 22's with 285/40 Conti tires installed, my car also picked up the TPMS automatically.

Peter

As promised, here are some pics I snapped with the phone camera. I really like the tread pattern of the Prada Spec-X. Gives it more of a sporty feel.

5A9BA696-FC18-4A1A-9F85-6557103E6EB4_zpshcmrnxw4.jpg

22673F71-3560-4554-96CA-BA4873CA7CB1_zpsvrunnhbj.jpg

636DF36E-2BC9-411A-8479-D7FD12F2B1BD_zpsqdiqdemx.jpg

EB6D3FF5-2C2E-4914-BE5D-9358E8AF88F2_zpsfzigd9kf.jpg

89E29CBA-6623-4EBD-A10B-E4E1AEBEC010_zpswbxmjs1m.jpg

Seriously NICE! I think I might get a set for mine [if you don't mind]...lol

Seriously NICE! I think I might get a set for mine [if you don't mind]...lol

I don't mind at all. If you decide to buy them let me know and I'll send you the details of the place I ordered from. Very nice to deal with and best price I could find. I was very happy with the transaction.

okay I have been reading a lot and these are the wheels Im looking at. I have the 16 explorer sport

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-s2/s200

Now I think i might have to get these made and Im very unsure of what offset to get and what tire size I should use. Im seeing that 3% variance to not mess up the AWD system and I obviously dont want to rub. I looked at the willtheyfit.com and if this is right is this "aggressive" enough or does anyone have a better suggestion.

275/40/20 or 275/45/20 with the rims 20x9.5 offset (+35)

thank you in advance!

IMO.

I would not bother replacing stock 20'', with another set of 20'' (boring). That size is too small on the Ex, since the smaller Edge Sport came with 22's.

Why would you run two different sets of aspect ratio tires? Guess you don't want to rotate those wheels. BTW. I run 285/40/22.

Have you priced the HRE. wheels yet?
An arm, leg...and another arm.

But it's your dime.

okay I have been reading a lot and these are the wheels Im looking at. I have the 16 explorer sport

Now I think i might have to get these made and Im very unsure of what offset to get and what tire size I should use. Im seeing that 3% variance to not mess up the AWD system and I obviously dont want to rub. I looked at the willtheyfit.com and if this is right is this "aggressive" enough or does anyone have a better suggestion.

thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you in advance!

I like those rims a lot. They were the style I had considered. I also think 20" or 22" look good on an Explorer. You don't have to go bigger to look nicer/better. You should purchase what appeals to you, regardless of cost (as long as you aren't selling a kidney on the black market to pay the bill). :)

Back