• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Light?

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
Hello, My Air Bag Light Has Been On For A Couple Years Now I Believe. The Truck Has Never Been In An Accident Or Hit Hard. Which Means The Air Bags Never Deployed. But The Light Is Always On. It Comes On And Stays On Then Goes Off Then Back On And Flashes. Any Idea Why This Does That? And What To Do To Fix It. Thanks For Any Input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the flashes are codes. you need to count the flashes.

Ok,after I Count The Flashes,then What Do I Do?it Will Flash A Few Times Then Stop And Stay On Without Flashing Then Go Off For A Few Seconds.

Count the flashes-then post

Count the flashes as said above. It will probably be a 34 or similiar.
The light should flash some number of times, wait a second, then flash some more. Count these. It will repeat the code twice I think (maybe three times). Then the light will come on a stay on.
If it is intermittent, it may go off for a while, then come back on solid. Don't know.
Mine flashes the seat belt tensioner fault, passenger side. It stys on all the time after flashing the code.

Let us know what the code is, and we'll tell you what's wrong.

Dave

Welcome to this forum! Check WWW.Veryuseful.Com for the code. The codes are also listed in the useful threads section. A lot of the time it is caused by the connectors underneath the front seats. Clean them thoroughly.

OK,I WILL TRY TO LOCATE THEM AND TRY CLEANING THEM. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Disconnect Battery Before You Fool With Those Wires!

The wires you are fooling with under the seat are tied into the air bag system.
You'd better disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes for the system to disarm itself before you pull them. May save you a pair of pants;)

Dave

Ok I Counted The Flashes. The Light Flashes 3 Times Then Goes Off For About 3 Seconds Then Flashes 6 Times Then Off For About 5 Seconds.so What Code Could That Be?

Count the flashes as said above. It will probably be a 34 or similiar.
The light should flash some number of times, wait a second, then flash some more. Count these. It will repeat the code twice I think (maybe three times). Then the light will come on a stay on.
If it is intermittent, it may go off for a while, then come back on solid. Don't know.
Mine flashes the seat belt tensioner fault, passenger side. It stys on all the time after flashing the code.

Let us know what the code is, and we'll tell you what's wrong.

Dave

THE LIGHT FLASHES 3 TIMES THEN GOES OFF FOR 3 SECONDS THEN FLASHES 6 TIMES THEN OFF ABOUT 5 SECONDS. SO WHAT CODE COULD IT BE? AND WHAT TO DO?

No CLue from me so far

I don't know what the code 36 stands for. It is not in my list.
I'm looking for another list of codes.

You may look under your passenger seat for a yellow electrical plug that is connected to your seat belt system underneath. If you find it, unplug it, blow into it (clean out dust, etc.) and then plug it back in. Same under the drivers seat. This plug has been known to give problems.

Dave

I don't know what the code 36 stands for. It is not in my list.
I'm looking for another list of codes.

You may look under your passenger seat for a yellow electrical plug that is connected to your seat belt system underneath. If you find it, unplug it, blow into it (clean out dust, etc.) and then plug it back in. Same under the drivers seat. This plug has been known to give problems.

Dave

THIS IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY BUT....THAT PLUG IS PLUGGED IN,BUT THE 2 WIRES ARE CUT OFF OF IT. SO THE PLUG IS IN UNDER THE SEAT,BUT THE WIRES ARE NOT CONNECTED,JUST LAYING THERE. COULD THIS BE CAUSING THE AIR BAG LIGHT TO COME ON?

Not likely...

LFC36 could be one of four possible problems:

B1993 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground GO to Pinpoint Test V.
B1992 36 24 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition GO to Pinpoint Test W.
B1994 36 26 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance High GO to Pinpoint Test X.
B1995 36 28 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low GO to Pinpoint Test Y.

The only way to pin it down further would be to find a shop (probably a dealership) to scan the Restraints Control Module DTCs. AutoZone won't be able to do it.

Which two wires are cut? What color are they, and where, EXACTLY are they?

-Joe

Factory service manual...

Body section, section 501-20B: Supplemental Restraint System, Diagnostic Instructions-Airbag Supplemental Restraint System. It's about halfway down, after the 'Active Commands' section, but doesn't have its own link for some reason (none of them do for any model... dunno why).

-Joe

Duh

Joe,

I hunted all through my CD, and didn't find the codes until you led me to them. Thanks. Certainly isn't anything on the web about it:p:

Since this is about the drivers side circuit, and since the passenger side wires seem to be cut, I wonder if someone did the drivers side and the wires are up against the seat frame?

Dave

Back