Air Box

Isles4evr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL 2dr
As I look through people posts, I can't help but notice that almost everyone has a modified air box. Now, I've been a member for a while, asked a lot of dumb questions, and I think I even answered one question Dead Link Removed. Well I guess I'll keep my questions going with what is done to modified an air box, how is it done, and what are the benefits. A pic would be very helpful if anyone has one. And thanks for any responces!!

Very appreciative,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they just cut holes in them is all , go to explorer tips and it gives pictures D:

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
Surco 45x60 safari rack
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com
http://msnhomepages.talkcity/BoxStreatBlvd/mrjones98e/

Where in explorer tips do they have pic of that? I just looked and didn't see it. Also, what are the benefits of cutting holes in the air box? Increased air flow I guess? Well thanks for the help!

Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

When you cut holes in your airbox make sure you cut them in the right part. If you have the square airbox you cut then in the lower half, if you have the round box cut them in the half attached to the fender. When you cut holes in the box it lets more air in thus, increasing power. I might be able to get a pic of my airbox. I have the round box, so I took the other route and completely removed the half attached to the fender. Hope this helps.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
JBA headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.
Coming soon:
K&N filter kit

Chris,

There are many was to mod the box. The main thing to remember is that the more air the more power. However, the filter is there for a reason. As long as the holes are placed before the filter you will have no problem. I have heard that one inch work the best. Let me know what you decide

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8
K & N Filter

Hey thanks guys for the info. That is what I had figured, but I was going to make sure before I hacked away at it. I have a square box. So I guess I'll cut hole's 1" above the filter. How big of a hole (does it really matter? probably not but I ask a lot of questions), and on which side of the box, or does it matter? Thanks a bunch for taking the time to answer!

Thanks again
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Make sure your cuttin holes in the right half! I might be wrong but doesn't tube that goes to the engine come from the top? Just make sure because you don't want to defeat the point of your air filter.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
JBA headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.
Coming soon:
K&N filter kit

if you have the square filter, like i do you might want to look again before cutting holes. The top part is connected to the hose that feeds the engine. The bottom part is where you want to cut the holes. An easy way to find out where to place them is take off the top part, find the filter, clean if need be. Now anything between the filter and the hose you dont want to touch. if you take the filter out anything below that is ok to make a hole in. You might also notice that the air intake is on the bottom right corner towards the front of the truck. Hope that info helps.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the help. I went and messed with the box today, and saw that it is the bottom that I cut the holes in. I'm not sure if this is because I was messing with it, but when I put the box back together (no holes yet), the engine was reving up and down, and the batt gague was going up and down with it (while idling). Anyone know why this might happen?

Thanks a bunch!!
Chris
-The man with a million dumb questions

'91 Explorer 2dr

my first post here. i have a 99XLT 4X2 and is slowly but surely adding stuff to my new baby. one question about the airbox, how do we remove the bottompart of the airbox from the body of the truck. it seems to be stuck or screwed into the body. i want to drill holes in it but i want to get the bottom container out first before drilling a hole into the chasiss. help guys

------------------

Chris,

Sounds like you knocked off a vacuum line or possibly unplugged the MAR. Check the area around the box and listen for a hissing noise with the engine running.

Since you're goin in there anyway you might as well cut the airbox. Put holes anywhere in the box AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN FRONT OF THE FILTER. This will be the dirty side. (I used a 1.5" hole saw with 1" between holes for a nice clean look. After you are done disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer.

Just FYI, the results of cutting the airbox are not that drastic. Gas mileage did not go up but noise did a little. There is a bit more passing power though. I do a lot of highway driving. In retrospect I do not know if I would do it again due to the increased noise. I'm getting older though.......

Best regards.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

here is how to get it off....just keep pulling on it until it comes loose/...its held in place by some rubber like devices that sort of plug it into place so to speak...it's gonna take a lot of pulling, or at least it took me and a friend to pull mine out...i kept thinking i was gonna break something, but it came out ok...

------------------
J.Arnold
'99 sport 2wd
k&n filter
drilled airbox
flowmaster 40 w/dual rear exit
brush guard w/fog's
ford5_0@hotmail.com

Hey, thanks. I though it was probably something like that. When you said that it was a increase in noise, was it engine noise or made the exaust louder?

Thanks again for all the help
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Hello Chris,

You end up with a bit more intake noise. On hard acceleration you get a growling noise and at highway speeds it is a deep groaning noise. It is not too loud, I am just at the point where I want a quiet car. Like I said, it does give you a noticible performance gain.

Best regards.
hg

Thanks a bunch Hank for all your help. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I think I am going to do it this weekend for sure.

Again, thanks for all the help,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Well, if you have a few bucks to spare go with a KKM open filter to replace the entire air box. You'll get even more power this way. You won't have to replace air filters anymore. All you have to do is once in a while take the filter out, clean it and spray it with oil. That's what I got and the sound of the engine, love it!!
Dead Link Removed

LAter,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com/Explorer/

Andre,
Thanks for the post. I have heard about that before, but I was unsure of how well it would work and how much it would cost. Where would I find it? I haven't seen it in any of the catalogs that I have.

Thanks,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

http://www.kustomz.com
i think it's around 80-90 bucks, i think i may purchase one eventually.

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Heres a tip to get the square box off without busting a nut(yours) or breaking something (the truck). Take a small bladed screw driver and insert it in the holes where the grommet attatches the box to the fender, and while pulling up one corner of the box wiggle the blade around the grommet and you will feel the box come loose, do the other one the same way, you may need to go back and forth between the two until it is loose, but you will find it is a lot easier this way.

I didn't drill my box yet, but I did take the snorkel off, and noticed an immediate improvement, and I like the sound it makes now. Sounds like my old LTD with a Holly Carb did back in the early '80s.

------------------
97 Explorer XLT
V8 AWD
Snorkeless box W/ K&N Filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, thanks for the tip Kilroy! I haven't sat down and drilled my box yet either. I was thinking about doing it last weekend, but I fixed my door sag problem, and cleaned my MAF and plugs to fix my missing problem. I must say that it really did help. I also like the idea of taking off the snorkle, I guess it would really increase the air intake. I was also thinking of making (or purchasing)some type of ram air intake. Well, good luck when you modify it.

Thanks,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Back