Alec's Second "Explorer" (The VW) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alec's Second "Explorer" (The VW)

Well, it can Explore the streets and curves better than Splat could :rolleyes:

2003 VW GTI
2.8L 24V VR6, 200 hp stock
6 speed manual gearbox
Loaded :D

Pioneer 8400 Headunit with XM radio
8 speaker Monsoon system with factory amp
350W RMS to single 8" Boston Acoustics sub

other mods so far:
Retrofit to 2002 headlamps with integrated fogs
Cordless radar detector
Activation of rear fog lamps as aux brake lamps
Front grille emblem swap to black
Changed horns to be louder and deeper

Other mods will be listed as I do them.

Pics:
2235imag0010.jpg

2235imag0011.jpg

2235imag0012.jpg

2235imag0013.jpg

2235imag0014.jpg

2235imag0015.jpg

2235imag0016.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually I own a 2000 Golf. Char owns the Dodge. Or at least she is working on owning the Dodge:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoa! Were you about to test the flex on that 2000 Golf, Rick? :eek: :D

Except you drive the dodge and she drives the golf?

:confused:

Originally posted by Alec
Except you drive the dodge and she drives the golf?

:confused:

Don't try to understand it will hurt.

is your golf diesel?

Originally posted by taxxman2k
is your golf diesel?

Yes, with mods.

Originally posted by Rick
Actually I own a 2000 Golf. Char owns the Dodge. Or at least she is working on owning the Dodge:D

Rick,sorry to say man but if you and Char are already married she is already claiming everything you own whether ya know it or not. lol. Just remeber that SHE has 3 vehicles and lets YOU drive them on occasion. lol. ;)

Just to list current mods:

Stereo:
Pioneer CD XM HU
stock monsoon speakers x 8, stock monsoon amp
350RMS to a 8" BA sub

Cosmetic:
front blackout VW emblem
front chrome VR6 logo
some small decals on the rear

Lighting:
retrofit to 2002 headlights w/fogs
smoked side markers
rear fog > aux brake light mod

Drivetrain:
ITG drop-in filter with modded airbox
DieselGeek short shifter

Other:
interior lighting
4 point driver harness
and a few other things.

Nice VW alec, I like it a lot. My GF has a 1.8T Jetta. VW does a great job on the interior of their cars, laid out very nicely!

Congrats!

Okay Alec couple of questions.

1. When they/you installed the head unit and you kept the stock Monsoon amp did you use the speaker wires as the input for the amp (high level) or did you get a high level to low level converter for the front and rear RCA's?

1a. Did you ditch the stock CD changer or is it hooked up and working?

2. Do you have the part # for the rear fog bulbs? :) How did you wire them to function? behind the taillight(s)?

I am looking to get the Euro light switch and disable the DRL, also add some PIAA's in the lower apron. I love this VW!

Thanks dude....... :)

1) New HU goes to the stock amp to the stock speakers. RCAs to the sub amp to the sub.

I had a shop do the stereo install since the car was less than a week old and the dealer had a problem with me doing it (even though I did it for years). But VWs have an alarm thing with the stereo, so sometimes things can get fubared if you don't know what you're doing.

2) Stock changer won't work. I took it out and traded it for the 2002 headlights :D

3) go to www.vwmkiv.com and the how-to page for the fog lamp-brake mod. Took me more time to find the bulbs than to do the mod. The bulbs are the same as the exisiting brakes, so there's your part #.

I don't have the Euro switch, wiring all my extra lights to other switches (except the aux brakes, go on with the brakes) including the retro-ed fogs. I got the Hella DE fog kit for the lower air intakes, but haven't installed it yet. I may also get some driving lights: I have some KCs that I may put on a lightwing a-la Splat :bounce:

Hokie, yes ;)

About 26 highway with an avg of 80 mph, anywhere from 16-24 city. EPA is 21/29.

EDIT: oh, the DRL go to a small Radioshack switch, function normally when on. All I did was cut the DRL wire from the stock headlight switch, extend the 2 ends to the other switch.

Originally posted by Hokie
Glad to see someone came in here and cleaned house...

And it will stay clean. Anybody who wants to make it un-clean will see their days on the ExplorerForum short lived. Alec deserves more respect than that...

Hopefully I'm clear.

(and just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you Hokie ;) )

Looks great Alec! Makes me want one. I just have one beef with it, I can't see the engine under the hood, just a big plastic thing. What would it look like if you ditched that?

And whats DRL? Something to do with lights....

Under the engine cover are basically intake runners and plug wires. The earlier VR6s look much better without an engine cover (the cover was integrated into the intake manifold).

Taking the engine cover off introduces more heat to surrounding components, so I leave it on.

They're in another thread but:

2235121003-5.jpg

2235121003-2.jpg

2235121003-4.jpg

Back