All four wheel bearings crapped out by 70k miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All four wheel bearings crapped out by 70k miles?

jakedrew

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xlt
04 xlt.

I did the front left at 60k, had the left rear done at a ford shop soon after. (I am able/ have tools, but didnt want to touch it) 10k more miles the right rear was humming and had that done at ford. Now the right front is in need of replacement at 70k miles.

What a bunch of $hit. Never heard of such bearing issues on any vehicle before.. I know it is a common issue( I have had all of them). Hopefully I can get some decent mileage out of the replacements.

/end rant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i feel your pain, never have i had to replace 3 wheels bearing in the front before at these miles. first set was the chinese chit, one only lasted 1.5 years. Last one i got i paid the extra to get the one with Timken stamped on it. See how long this one lasts. Rears so far, knock on wood, are ok.

I'd like to know whats the deal too, are these very similar to the F150's fronts?? No idea for sure, a couple of quick looks, seem they are. They looked Iron and not Aluminum, wonder if that makes a difference?

Wife's Monty ('04 V8 AWD) the passenger front went... BUT I didn't get any noises, the ABS light was my notice to look for something in that corner. the Hub/ABS sensor is CHEAPER than just the sensor & its the same amount of work. Since I have heard horror stories like yours I did the whole thing. that was a year ago last month. @ 130-140K.

Now almost 1-year to the day, the driver's ABS sensor is the code thrown. THIS time I am getting a rotational "whump-whump" sound on acceleration, especially advancing onto an on ramp. But at cruize speeds, its quiet.

On the first hub I made a wooded fixture to hold the hub assembly, so I could attempt to measure hub run out. The bearing was noticibly loose compared to the new unit.

Out back, I just did brake pads & inspected everything, all tight & solid.

Random thought: is your XLT 2wd or part time 4wd? 4.0 or 4.6?

I keep reading about these bearing faliures, wondering if the constant/consistent AWD loading of the hub/bearing helps keep things engaged? See what I mean? Especially on the front. on 2wd, all the wear/tear is on the rear hub/axle assembly where the AWD is something like 70/30 or soemthing toeven it out. Just thinking outloud.

I know the fundamental issue is the long/thin cartridge style bearing instead of (2) bearings & load spacers supporting the hub inside & out.

I would only buy individual bearings stamped with Timken for automotive use. So far the Duralast Autozone replacement hubs have done fine on the AWD in front. Lifetime warranty (EDIT: just looked @ the website now lists 1yr. My receipts say lifetime... do your home work), 45 minutes to swap out a front... so if it does go its not a huge ordeal. But I do it here at home. I've never looked at the rear design.

Rob

Random thought: is your XLT 2wd or part time 4wd? 4.0 or 4.6?

I keep reading about these bearing faliures, wondering if the constant/consistent AWD loading of the hub/bearing helps keep things engaged? See what I mean? Especially on the front. on 2wd, all the wear/tear is on the rear hub/axle assembly where the AWD is something like 70/30 or soemthing toeven it out. Just thinking outloud. Rob

might have something there, ours is a 4.6L v8 AWD. I know i like to feel the power of the v8. . .so that front is under a lot of stress while F150's don't have that setup.

Jim, I was more referring to the 2wd/part-time 4wd where the front hubs are "unloaded" until the part time is engaged.

I've done alot of reading here & elsewhere since the wife's Monty crossed 150K. Just to be ready for long Sundays, like tomorrow...LOL.

I am toying with the idea of buying a Rear hub/bearing kit & looking into what it would take to convert it to a dual-bearing, full load sharing set up, like most 4x4 IRS set up are done from the factory.

I know that the '02-up offroader's are always talking about bearings & bearing loads, especially on lifted trucks or heavy tires on stock/OE hub/bearing combos.

The rear hubs are not pressed, to the best of my knowledge & they use a cir-clip to hold them in place to the knuckle/upright. So as long as the hub is not tapered, a press-fit or even light-interference fit with the appropriate spacers to keep the bearings from "walking" in/out, like many performance import FWD knuckle/hub/bearing assemblies.

Again... just mumbling out loud.

Rob

I have an 02 4.0 XLT 4wd (216k) and have replaced the front bearings 2 times, the rears 2 times. In fact I just finished doing the rears again, they are indeed pressed in. I have a 12ton press and can barely get it done.

Wheel Bearings burning out

I have been told the reason is they use a integral unit and it's exposed to the weather and road sand. Eats them up.

I have been told the reason is they use a integral unit and it's exposed to the weather and road sand. Eats them up.

That is what my mechanic said. Only reason I got a 4by is to go camping at Fraser Island (Largest sand Island in the world, located in Queensland Australia). After the second replacement he said the velicle is good, but just don't take it on the sand again as the salt and sand gets into the bearings. Doh! :australia

Back