Rear wheel bearing lasted 16k miles... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearing lasted 16k miles...

fordbluefamily

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mounty, 04 Mounty
I did all four bearings this spring on our 04 XLS and it made a world of difference. Then starting a few days ago it started growling and felt just like a knob on a tire. I had a nail in one and thought that was it as it sounded like it was up front. The noise is really bad when turning left. Turns out after swapping in the spare and no change, I jack up the explorer and the left rear wheel bearing is toast. Really loose actually. Like metal grinding gone. That lasted 16000 miles :mad:

I really dont want to press the bearings again as it was a nasty process the first time. Is there a better way? Like a knuckle with bearing replacement? The other side is still tight but maybe these timken bearings I used are not so good....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did all four bearings this spring on our 04 XLS and it made a world of difference. Then starting a few days ago it started growling and felt just like a knob on a tire. I had a nail in one and thought that was it as it sounded like it was up front. The noise is really bad when turning left. Turns out after swapping in the spare and no change, I jack up the explorer and the left rear wheel bearing is toast. Really loose actually. Like metal grinding gone. That lasted 16000 miles :mad:

I really dont want to press the bearings again as it was a nasty process the first time. Is there a better way? Like a knuckle with bearing replacement? The other side is still tight but maybe these timken bearings I used are not so good....

I would assume the bearings come with a warranty...return it back to the auto parts store for a new one. Just a bad bearing, it happens. :( Since the rears require a snap ring and have to be pressed in, perhaps they were not installed correctly? You mentioned that "it was a nasty process" to press them in....makes me think they were not pressed straight. Did you only replace the bearing and not the hub as well?

At any rate, you shouldn't have to repurchase the bearing set again, the big inconvenience here of course is the labor involved to undo and reassemble.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't do the press work, I let an automotive shop do that for me. They told me they will never do another set of those after doing mine and that it sucked. I did notice one of them did not look exactly square but looked like just marks from the press. perhaps it wasnt square. It was a nasty job for me due to the work getting the knuckles out. Now I get to hunt down another shop to press it for me. :(

I did replace the bearings, hubs, and snaprings as a kit. The parts did have a lifetime warranty through an ebay company, but having the truck down for the weeks im sure it would take is not an option for me. I plan to buy another set, then warranty this one and keep the new one as a spare in case another one decides to go out. I sure hope these are good, as my dad just had a set put in his 02.:usa:

When I did the rear bearings I brought the assemblies to my machine shop here at the plant. I tell you, I had my master machinist pressing them out with a 20 ton press and I thought the press or the hub were going to explode. What a SOB...especially for one assembly.

In any case, that was with 80k miles on these components. I would imagine that with 16k on your rebuilt units that life will be much easier.

I was lucky as my guy was able to turn custom bearing punches and fab press plates to get an exact fit when pressing. If using ill fitting press accessories the end result will not be ideal.

I wonder if the eBay seller is selling the same cheap parts as the front hubs/bearings for the Gen II...

Honestly- if you're going to get new ones, don't get them off eBay. Find a shop, or get something with a good name off Rockauto.com or something. Seems like way too many inferior parts are making their way onto eBay now-a-days. Not really a job you want to do again, as you said...

Thanks for the reply. I didn't do the press work, I let an automotive shop do that for me. They told me they will never do another set of those after doing mine and that it sucked. I did notice one of them did not look exactly square but looked like just marks from the press. perhaps it wasnt square.

sounds like the shop didn't have the right fitting for the press, and/or they messed it up some how. From what RickM said and what i've read in the past, its very, very hard to get out. Someone had to take a cutter to it and cut the races before it would come out. The present hub may have been botched on removal, now anything you put in won't last. I'd look for a junkyard knuckle and use that one to put in the new bearing. Then when you take knuckle off you can swap in the new one without having to wait.

I agree not to use cheap parts. When I bought them it claimed they had Timken bearings.I looked this morning and they no longer claim that on their adds. It was Mac Auto Parts on Ebay. They did offer to do a warranty exchange if I pay shipping and send the old parts back first. Hardly seems worth it. My plan after last time was to get a set of knuckles used and build them up as spares. I would love to see a Gen 3 in a junkyard around here as the rear knuckles would be mine. I will go to rockauto and order some bearings, and new hub, but finding a good shop to press them in and out will be a challenge. I even called the dealership and they acted clueless.

Ive said it before, if someone were to buy a bunch of old knuckles and get good at pressing in hubs/bearings, they could make a fortune selling them as quick swap replacements with a core exchange. :D

*Correction, Mac auto parts was where I got the front hubs from. Natl-suspension is where I got the rear hubs from, Magnum on the box. No longer says Timken in the add. *

I got the knuckle off, way easier this time, took about 20 minutes. I am going to man up and admit that this could be my fault. The axle nut was finger tight, if that, and there was no sign of the red thread lock I was using that day. Perhaps I didnt put it on that nut? I checked the other side and its tight with red thread lock visible on the threads of the axle. For grins, I tightened the nut and the wheel spun with no noise, but I took the knuckle off and am replacing the bearings anyway.

For all the guys that re-use the axle nut. The 15 dollar savings is NOT worth doing this job twice....I have ordered two new ones!

i've thought those Axle nuts are all one use, something about the threads changing when torqued down, kinda of like a one use lock nut or something. The FSM says replace with New by the way.

I was talking to my mechanic yesterday, I have to replace the other rear bearing on my 05 47,000 miles, he said he uses a sawzall to partialy cut the bearing before pressing the old bearin out.

Got my new hub/bearing today. Dropped it off at the Ford dealer where I bought the truck. 45 bucks labor to press them. I have to believe the Ford dealer can press them correctly. I bet they have a jig to hold them in the press. 10.95 for the new axle nut. Should have it back up and running by the weekend!:cool:

Its back on the road. Went together fast. No more wheel wobble or noise. The Ford dealer was quick about pressing them and did a nice clean job of it. It looks square in the knuckle this time with the snap ring farther in the groove than the one just removed. They did crack some material off the parking brake shoe, but they dont work worth a snot anyway. Worst parking brake setup ever.

I'm feeling really good about my local machine shop.. Pressed in the new bearings with the new hubs for $10.00 per side. After 29,000 miles... No noice. And at 89,000 total miles, no noice out of the front bearings. Knock on wood..

You sir have a good machine shop! I believe Ford did not press my hub in quite all the way... Today after about 50 miles the bearings were sloppy loose again. The nut was still tight and had not loosened, it was obvious the thread locker had worked, and was torqued to the 180foot pounds on the box.... I tightened the nut even more and felt like the hub went in just a smidge farther and it was no longer loose, I then backed it off a bit and set it back to 180 with more thread locker. I went for a 50 mile drive and its not loose again, but so much for my new nut, I already had to take it off again! So I do recommend a torque, drive, re-torque. If this thing loosens up again, im taking it to the dealership as I cant fathom what would cause this....:mad:

Back