All Terrain / Off Road Tires | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Terrain / Off Road Tires

Change tire size

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with 255/50/20 all season on it now. I would like to go with an all-terrain tire, the Continental A/T looks good. To do this I would need to switch to a 265/50/20 size tire. My question is this a doable safe change. Has anyone made a switch like this? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The generally accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%. The change you propose is 1.3%, so yes it is doable.
255/50-R20 vs 265/50-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
The Forum has a 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be very helpful. There are existing threads on changing tires sizes.
Your thread has also been moved to this one.

Peter

Change tire size

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with 255/50/20 all season on it now. I would like to go with an all-terrain tire, the Continental A/T looks good. To do this I would need to switch to a 265/50/20 size tire. My question is this a doable safe change. Has anyone made a switch like this? Any info is greatly appreciated.
I made the switch on my 14' XLT with 20" Rims to the 265/50/20 Terrain Contacts, had them for about 12k miles. Easily doable, compltely safe, slightly wider tire = slightly better rim protection with a slightly larger sidewall. I've moved to a different set of wheels and tires after 12k miles. One thing I will say about the Continental's is that they are extremely unforgiving regarding road noise. After around 6k miles for me if I was not on the best paved roads it was noiser than stock hankooks.

Has anyone found a BFG KO2 size that will fit a stock 2016 XLT 18" rim without issues? I had them on my 2013 f150 and fell in love with them..

Has anyone found a BFG KO2 size that will fit a stock 2016 XLT 18" rim without issues? I had them on my 2013 f150 and fell in love with them..
look for 255/60/18 or 265/60/18. Largest you can go without rubbing.

According to the Tire Rack site, the KO2 is not available in an 18" size. Looking into it further it says; "This tire isn't available for your 2016 Ford Explorer 4WD XLT."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2

Peter
This tire? -> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=66SR8KO2&tab=Sizes

Says available in a bunch of 18" sizes - closest that will probably work for an explorer is 255/55R18 (hair smaller, you'll survive) or 265/60R18 (hair larger - 3.2%, so be careful as it might kill you in your sleep or spontaneously combust as soon as you install it on the vehicle).

Off Road Tires on a 2015 AWD Ex

Hey y'all. I have officially put Goodyear Duratracs in 265/60/18 on my Ex and it looks soooo more manly now! I haven't experienced any rubbing at all and no advancetrac or braking issues whatsoever. I just wanted to give a definitive answer to anyone who is wondering how they fit and look on our rides. You all seem like a very nice bunch and I just joined here today after lurking for a couple of months since buying my Ex in June .

IMG_20180922_110947458.jpg

I like those! I'm going to be moving to Colorado and plan on doing some light off-roading. I just may replace my tires with those Duratracs. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

They do look pretty beefy - really stands in stark contrast to the soft/rounded lines on the explorer.

How noisy are they? I've seen some reports they tend to get noisier as they wear in some, but not terrible.

They do look pretty beefy - really stands in stark contrast to the soft/rounded lines on the explorer.

How noisy are they? I've seen some reports they tend to get noisier as they wear in some, but not terrible.

They are noticeable with the radio on but aren't so loud you can't hear yourself think. :) They have very thick tread blocks so that is why they are noisy . It's a small price to pay for good tires . They are really only noticeable when decelerating though.

Does anyone have some offroad tires they put on the OEM 18" wheels? Looking for some good offroad tires and wanted to see how large I could go for the tires

Does anyone have some offroad tires they put on the OEM 18" wheels? Looking for some good offroad tires and wanted to see how large I could go for the tires
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. As to how large you can go, it is generally recommended not to exceed the maximum diameter variance of 3% of the OEM size to avoid possible issues with electronic systems like traction control and ABS.

Peter

Hello I’m looking to put off road tires on my 2012 explorer dropping from 20 in rims to 18”. Wanted to see if anybody has some input ideas pictures or what not. Looking at 33” tires so curious about a lift.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you planning on keeping this vehicle as a 'daily driver' or just for off-road use?
What size 33". The generally accepted rule of thumb is that the maximum diameter variance should not exceed 3% of the OEM size. Your OEM size I believe is 255/50R20. I doubt very much that a 33" would work. I've been here for about 10 years and don't recall anyone running that size. I'm not even sure that would fit an 18" wheel.
Check out post #50. That size (265/60R18) would work with a nominal 2% diameter difference.
Any discussions about 'lifts' should be posted here; Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Peter

Hello I’m looking to put off road tires on my 2012 explorer dropping from 20 in rims to 18”. Wanted to see if anybody has some input ideas pictures or what not. Looking at 33” tires so curious about a lift.

You will probably rub with a 33".. I run 265/70r17's on mine which is basically a 31 and I can probably get away with a 32 but you will have to trim and will also need to get spacers or new rims with a decent backspace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you planning on keeping this vehicle as a 'daily driver' or just for off-road use?
What size 33". The generally accepted rule of thumb is that the maximum diameter variance should not exceed 3% of the OEM size. Your OEM size I believe is 255/50R20. I doubt very much that a 33" would work. I've been here for about 10 years and don't recall anyone running that size. I'm not even sure that would fit an 18" wheel.
Check out post #50. That size (265/60R18) would work with a nominal 2% diameter difference.
Any discussions about 'lifts' should be posted here; Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Peter
Cool thanks I thought so with a 33s I’m just gathering idea I’ve seen a couple pictures but no real detail. I am leaning more toward All terrain was just curious if anyone had done an off road on an explorer.

Back