All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

Remote question

Ok so I have searched the thread and have not seen this problem before. I have a 2000 LTD. My remotes only work about 50% of the time. I can get them back into program mode and reset them, and they will work for a few hours, but then the next am it won't work. But latter in the the day it may work. The control panel works fine. I am wondering if the car battery may have a effect on the alarm not working correctly. Just had the battery tested and it is reading 12.56V with 728/880 CCA. The battery is about 5 years old, just wondering if it not able to keep up.

My thought is car starts and runs fine, charging system does its job and charges battery, remotes work. Car sits over night/all day at work, battery gets low and remotes don't work. Any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So long as your car cranks, your battery shouldn't be low enough to effect it.

Possible things that could effect it in my opinion:
There could be a short in the wiring.
Battery in remote going dead. Simple fix. About 4 bucks.
Or contacts on the remote dirty. You can clearn them with a pencil eraser. Google and there are videos showing what to do. It's normally a Honda problem, but I would imagine it could happen in a ford remote too.

Thanks to this wonderful thread I helped a friend figure out his 2000 Grand Marquis code. It was in the trunk on the right trunk hinge. He gave up years ago.

hmmmmmm!!!

:salute: am I the only one that thinks it would suck to have the keyless entry and not be able to reset the factory to you own code an cancel out the factory code do to being a second owner, cause the first owner can still get into your car even after giving you all the keys and remotes??? Doesn't this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen? I'm just saying is there like a way to just unplug that part of the system and not use at all??

Also the poor guy that stated this thread listed his code and now can't change it, God forbid one of you is his neighbor and now has access to his Ford Explorer!?

:salute: am I the only one that thinks it would suck to have the keyless entry and not be able to reset the factory to you own code an cancel out the factory code do to being a second owner, cause the first owner can still get into your car even after giving you all the keys and remotes??? Doesn't this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen? I'm just saying is there like a way to just unplug that part of the system and not use at all??

Also the poor guy that stated this thread listed his code and now can't change it, God forbid one of you is his neighbor and now has access to his Ford Explorer!?

for what its worth I would like to think that the majority of people who utilize this forum are fairly honest and would have no need to pilcer from another explorer enthusiast, but there is one in every crowd I suppose. As for the op revealing his code, the image says " something like this". Not that that image was his actual code. I have personally photographed some raps modules in the sre cking yard when I was researching them.

As for someone actually gaining access to the op's ex, well I'm sure he has safeguards in place. The article was started 8 or so years ago so that's something to consider too. Does he still have the truck? Who really knows. Oh and yes there is a way to change the factory code but it is a hardware modification inside the module (search for it if you really want it). There is also a one wire solution to disable the keypad, but again, do a lil research and you'll be satisfied.

There is also a one wire solution to disable the keypad, but again, do a lil research and you'll be satisfied.

Is that a ligit solution? Or will you be permanently disabling a feature?
I asked because a friend of mine bought a Ford used and only got the one ignition key but no door and hatch key with one remote, he and other people should have a decent way to generally protect themselves?

Is that a ligit solution? Or will you be permanently disabling a feature?
I asked because a friend of mine bought a Ford used and only got the one ignition key but no door and hatch key with one remote, he and other people should have a decent way to generally protect themselves?

I'm not sure what you mean by legit. It involves cutting one wire that goes to the number pad. Could put a toggle switch on I guess but no modification to any vehicle is considered ligit in the dealer's eyes. Any lock smith worth his weight in keys can make a door key for little money, or you can go to a wrecking yard and get a complete matching set for about the same cost

I'm not sure what you mean by legit. It involves cutting one wire that goes to the number pad. Could put a toggle switch on I guess but no modification to any vehicle is considered ligit in the dealer's eyes. Any lock smith worth his weight in keys can make a door key for little money, or you can go to a wrecking yard and get a complete matching set for about the same cost

Cool beans I will let them know thanks

question for XAN

If an ex came factory with power locks, "theft" light in dash, has little antenna behind rear view mirror, and PAT keys is it still possible to NOT have remote entry capability? No RAP in left rear.

^ Unlikely you will get a response from the OP "XAN" whose last activity on the forum was 6/18/08
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=66479

Enter VIN and click minor features to see your vehicles specs.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

To see if your vehicle came equipped with remote keyless entry (RKE). If you don't have remote transmitters
you can also try the "reprogramming transmitters" procedure on page 63 and see if the doors lock and unlock. Replacement transmitters are very inexpensive, check Ebay.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/98expog1e.pdf

Thanks, swshawaii! I don't imagine "power Equipment Group" includes remote entry, does it ? But then it says "less" driver and passenger airbags, but they are there. The five or eight on- off cycles does nothing but flash the parking light group four times (whatever that means). But that does not rule out a bad RAP module. Is the antenna below the mirror for the NOAA radio frequency equipped radio it says was installed? Anyone? Has anyone ever found a RAP module above the pass side airbag in a '98 Sport? Or is the RAP always in the rear left quarter on ALL pre-2001s? It seems a real shame to have power locks and the other anti theft options yet no remote entry capabilities...

I don't think there are more than a half dozen factory codes. I remember one guy saying he was locked out in a parking lot and evidently he had bought the car used and never had an entry code. A guy came up and said he worked for a dealership and in a couple minutes he was in. My keypad stopped working a while ago. I'm sure I could fix it and wondered if reversing two wires might change the factory code. Or it could be serial data or voltages that are sent. Anyone have pictures of the back of the unit?

You could change the pins at the raps module connector to mix up the number sequence but just remember if you do, all of the factory programming shortcuts that need the key pad would be mixed up too. There is a way to swap the actual code sequence inside the module but it is labor intensive. Why not just leave it the same? How many previous owners do you think actually took the time to know the factory code other than the original owner?

Hi guys , question , I have a 99 Ex and it does have the red blinking Theft but no RAP module , so that means I don't have keyless entry ? I bought a fob and did all the steps and nothing so I'm guessing I don't have keyless entry right ?
Thank you in advance !!

Hi guys , question , I have a 99 Ex and it does have the red blinking Theft but no RAP module , so that means I don't have keyless entry ? I bought a fob and did all the steps and nothing so I'm guessing I don't have keyless entry right ?
Thank you in advance !!

Are you sure you do not have a raps module? I believe They moved them in the late 90s to a location under the dash.

Keyless entry

I do not have the keypad on my door, but I do have keyless entry that is not working. It begin not functioning properly at first would work sometimes and others not work. When it completely stopped working I bought a new battery for my keyless entry, but it still did not work. Then, I bought a new FOB with a new battery in it, and still not functioning. So, the fob has nothing to do with the system not working. Can anyone tell me other area's to look at for what is causing my keyless entry not to work?

I do not have the keypad on my door, but I do have keyless entry that is not working. It begin not functioning properly at first would work sometimes and others not work. When it completely stopped working I bought a new battery for my keyless entry, but it still did not work. Then, I bought a new FOB with a new battery in it, and still not functioning. So, the fob has nothing to do with the system not working. Can anyone tell me other area's to look at for what is causing my keyless entry not to work?

Silly question, but did you re program the new key fob to your truck?

On 2003 Sport, the module with code is located under the defrost vent cover on top of dashboard. Panel can be removed by popping all clips. View through windshield with camera or use endoscope. Can be accessed through glove box by removing airbag and module.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure you do not have a raps module? I believe They moved them in the late 90s to a location under the dash.

Hi cwol97401 ,I have been under the dash 100 times but I have not seen it , but I will check :)

Thank you

Back