• Register Today It's free!

Alternatives to coolbulbs.com?

jeebus

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Porsche 911 C4S
Okay so I know there are like a billion threads out there on retrofitting HIDs to Explorers that don't come with them. But I'm having trouble making sense out of all the information.

Coolbulbs.com seems to be the most popular source for kits. But my hangup with them is that they don't have 4300k bulbs. I was going to get something from retro-solutions.com, but I've read conflicting information about whether or not a relay is required in order to preserve the ballasts and bulbs due to repeatedly firing during starting.

What other kits have you guys used?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dyode dynamics I think is who I will end up going with when I upgrade to hids. I am fairly confident at this point thag the only thing different is the ballast and bulbs .. the projectors in each housing look identical to me. Maybe someone involved with ford can verify the projector part numbers or something to that matter.

get 6000k....you won't be able to tell the difference :thumbsup:

^ maybe for you guys but there is a very noticeable (output, color and looks) difference between 4300K to 6000K. Stick "to your guns" for 4300K, you will be glad you did.

I"m pretty sure they do have 4300k's they just dont advertise them. After I bought my 6000k I emailed him about getting 4300k's and he said he has them if people want them. He even said that I could just get the bulbs as a back up or whatever for like $35 IIRC. Send Andrew an email and I bet he has them.

^ maybe for you guys but there is a very noticeable (output, color and looks) difference between 4300K to 6000K. Stick "to your guns" for 4300K, you will be glad you did.
i think the 4300k hid looks too OEM . might as well get Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and call it a day instead of paying for a conversion for the same look . 6000k will give you a classier look with more than enough light output :D

Okay so I know there are like a billion threads out there on retrofitting HIDs to Explorers that don't come with them. But I'm having trouble making sense out of all the information.

Coolbulbs.com seems to be the most popular source for kits. But my hangup with them is that they don't have 4300k bulbs. I was going to get something from retro-solutions.com, but I've read conflicting information about whether or not a relay is required in order to preserve the ballasts and bulbs due to repeatedly firing during starting.

What other kits have you guys used?

I got a kit from coolbulbs.com and Andrew was really helpful but the 6000K bulbs are a bit too blue for me and I also ended up needing a harness (which I had to buy from ebay - Andrew doesn't supply them). If I were to do it again I'd probably buy from TRS (this is the kit you would need). You get actual branded hardware (all I know is that Andrew gets his stuff from "China") great support and a harness included.

I'm now considering going a step further and replacing the projectors/lenses with parts from TRS so I can use proper D2S bulbs but that is a lot more cost and effort.

I just got my XLT on Monday, for which I have a 5000k kit (35watt) from retrofitsource.com

If this friggen cold ever lifts, Saturday is supposed to get to a balmy -3, I will install and post pics. Might help you decide.

Note that a ballast isn't going to significantly extend the life of your kit. A canbus is sufficient for our application, which makes sense as it uses the same stock wiring the Limited trim does for its HIDS. The canbus is easier to install too.

Someone on here brought up a good point that they installed a delay module to add life to the kit as it stops any chance of a fire, stop, fire scenario when left in auto and the vehicle is turned on.

nice to see a fellow knoxvillian on here. your name looks familiar, are you on any other forums?

i think the 4300k hid looks too OEM . might as well get Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and call it a day instead of paying for a conversion for the same look . 6000k will give you a classier look with more than enough light output :D

Ya but lots of us are trying for the OEM look, at least I am.

4300K looks beauty!

nice to see a fellow knoxvillian on here. your name looks familiar, are you on any other forums?

Likewise! I've been on BMW, Audi, and Subaru forums in the past. But I lifted the username from an old Simpsons episode.

Thanks, everyone, for the information! Looks like I have a bit more research to do. My Explorer has been delayed by about a week, so I'm not in dire need of anything at this point. I'll definitely have time to settle on a solution before I go fiddling with my brand new car.

4300k in my opinion is an old wives tale of lighting nerds that heard that 4300k is the closest color of the sun so it has the highest lumens. This is a fact but not really very relevant as the lumen decay is just a few percent to 6000k which is what 100 percent of the German cars use. The lumen difference is not detectible by the human eye, only buy a fancy light meter. Some Asian cars still come with 5000k but Lexus moved to 6000k this year as well, so it seems to be sticking around that point for most suppliers. We offer and stock every color but only show 6000 and 8000 k because we don't want returns from people who didn't know what they doing when they ordered... It used to happen a lot when we showed all the colors you could get... If you put a 4300k bulb in your left headlight and 6000k in your right the difference from inside would not be detectible at all, only from the outside would you see the subtle difference and only at a few angles. People have preferences and opinions and all thats fine and I am happy to sell you what ever you like but the reality is 6000k is what OEM's are using from Cadillac to BMW to Ferrari and we think it makes sense.. If you want something else just call or email me and we can talk.
Thanks and sorry for the rant! Ha!
Andrew Coolbulbs

4300k in my opinion is an old wives tale of lighting nerds that heard that 4300k is the closest color of the sun so it has the highest lumens. This is a fact but not really very relevant as the lumen decay is just a few percent to 6000k which is what 100 percent of the German cars use. The lumen difference is not detectible by the human eye, only buy a fancy light meter. Some Asian cars still come with 5000k but Lexus moved to 6000k this year as well, so it seems to be sticking around that point for most suppliers. We offer and stock every color but only show 6000 and 8000 k because we don't want returns from people who didn't know what they doing when they ordered... It used to happen a lot when we showed all the colors you could get... If you put a 4300k bulb in your left headlight and 6000k in your right the difference from inside would not be detectible at all, only from the outside would you see the subtle difference and only at a few angles. People have preferences and opinions and all thats fine and I am happy to sell you what ever you like but the reality is 6000k is what OEM's are using from Cadillac to BMW to Ferrari and we think it makes sense.. If you want something else just call or email me and we can talk.
Thanks and sorry for the rant! Ha!
Andrew Coolbulbs
exactly....this is the reason I said to get 6000k :thumbsup:

I spent the money on a denso oem kit from trs, and can't be happier. I haven't had any problems at all.

Back