Alternator help is needed on a 99 XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator help is needed on a 99 XLT.

Gfunk

Reaction score
City, State
CAROLINA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hi to everyone in explorer nation, I' a newbie at posting threads so bear with me. I have a 99 Explorer XLT and am having trouble releasing tension on the front drive belt so that I may get it around the pulley on the new altenator. thought I may look around the site for instructions, Thanx for any advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It takes some muscle on a breaker bar to unload the spring. There should be a sticker under the hood showing which direction to turn the tensioner to loosen it.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Did you use a breaker bar on the automatic tensioner? I didn't have to use any tools to remove or install the belt on my 95 van. Pulling on the belt was enough to move the tensioner.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Did you use a breaker bar on the automatic tensioner? I didn't have to use any tools to remove or install the belt on my 95 van. Pulling on the belt was enough to move the tensioner.

You must be way stronger than I am! lol

GFunk- A long bar will make it easier to rotate the tensioner around. I use an old 3/8 drive torque wrench that is no longer anywhere near accurate, but has a long handle. You could also probably rent a serpentine belt wrench. I also always slide the belt onto the smooth pulley last. I think it is the water pump pulley if I recall correctly. It just makes it less to fight.

I was using a breaker bar at first until I needed an extra hand to work with. I put the bar down, then realized that I could move the tensioner by hand once the belt is slipped around it. It was much easier to do it by hand than to use tools.

V8 or V6? A breaker bar doesn't work with the V8. Not enough room to work with.

Back