• Register Today It's free!

Alternator question

takemetoyurledr

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
How many amps does a stock 99 explorer sport pull running (heat/AC and everything)??? It's a 130Amp alternator right? Basically I'm trying to figure how many amps I have left to run sound/accessories before I'd have to get a better alternator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump squared. I too would liek to know if anyone knows haha. Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

i was told by a wise man that any vehicle should have at least 80 amps of alt to just run normal accessories. Being a 130 amp that gives you 50 to play with, but keep in mind that the 130 is a max rating based on 4-5k rpms... at idle it puts out around 75 to 80.

Stock alternator are usually around 90 amps but most parts store also stock a 130 amp version.

BTW takemetoyurledr, we have a meet & greet up in Pasadena, MD this Sunday -- thats like 20 mins from you. The link is in my sig.

Stock alternator= 90 amps

Upgraded alternator= 130 amps

Mean Green alternator= 250+ amps

a stock one may be 90 on the regular trucks, but i believe that most had the towing package which gave you a heavy duty alternator (130), a heavy duty radiator, and a heavy duty trans cooler.

My 99 Ex Sport had the 130 Stock. I dont think I have seen an Ex with anything less. I have have seen the 90 amp in the books but never on a truck...

how can you tell if you have the 90 or 130 amp alternator on the explorers? once i start building my system i will most likely have to upgrade, but for right now im running 12 lights so its probably good to know what my alternator can take. Also, how hard is it to change the alternator on a 4.0 OHV? i've only ever changed one in a 350 chevy. :scratch:

Back