Alternator replacement / removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator replacement / removal

Payok

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 xlt explorer
I have a 2011 XLT Explorer and the alternator is bad, need to know how to get to it, from above or below to get it out and replace it. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Most of the time it's not the whole alternator, but just the brushes. Get a Haynes or Chilton manual for a step by step removal & installation guide. The brushes went in my 1995 van on Friday, and I replaced the brushes for a few dollars.

I think this is the first alternator replacement I've heard of. Have you had it tested and it was found bad? I had the original battery go bad about 14 months ago.

I think Autozone or Advance offers how to guides on their websites. Never used one, but I've seen one of those two offer them for at least some repairs.

Bumping an old thread - Mods - if that is bad etiquette, please advise.

I have 2016 and appear to have a bad alternator as well. It's in a terrible location. Anyone replaced theirs yet? On the 3.5 V6, it's in the front, above the AC compressor, and there's definitely too much in the way over top of it - appears that I'll have to remove one of the cooling fans and maybe a coolant hose in order to make room to lift it up and out.

I have 2016 and appear to have a bad alternator as well. It's in a terrible location. Anyone replaced theirs yet? On the 3.5 V6, it's in the front, above the AC compressor, and there's definitely too much in the way over top of it - appears that I'll have to remove one of the cooling fans and maybe a coolant hose in order to make room to lift it up and out.
Not a problem at all. That it the way the Forum works. If you have an issue that has already been discussed just add to it rather than starting a new thread.

Peter

The cooling fan motor and shroud has to be taken off. Also the RH fender splash shield.

Thanks for the replies! Job is done. Sad that I had to replace the alternator on a '16 with 36,200 miles on it (yes, less than a tank of gas out of warranty). They sure did not skimp on the number of fasteners in that fender splash shield. 3 - 8mm bolts under the front, 7 - smaller hex headed screws, and a pile of screw headed expansion plugs. I did not have to remove the upper radiator hose, but the entire fan assembly did have to come out to make room to replace the alternator. It's held in with a 15mm bolt on the bottom, and a 15mm nut that threads on to the upper stud (8mm, if I recall correctly) to get the stud removed. It's a small consolation that the fan assembly is held in with only two bolts, it took quite a bit of time to get it all removed and replaced. That did appear to address the problem for me however. Before swapping it out, I was getting Check Charging System warnings and chimes, and the battery light would appear on the left side display. Measured voltage while running was only 11.8 volts max.

Hey All,

Replaced the alternator in my 2012 Explorer 146,000 miles with a reman aftermarket. I was a little skeptical because I put an aftermarket in my 04 Expedition and it didn't take it. Well long story short....it is a bit of a process but the new one is in and is working fine. Remove the air box, coolant fan, and the 2 bolts on the alternator and your good.

I haven't found other posts with much detail and I'm running into an issue which is preventing me from removing the alternator.

2011 Explorer Limited 4WD V6

THE ISSUE: The top bolt is actually a nut, which I have removed. But the "stud" or threads is preventing me from removing the alternator. One post in this forum says to remove the "stud" but, .... how do you remove it?? See attached file for a pic of what I'm referring to.
20191221_145850_1.gif

So far i have:

1) Removed Air Intake
2) Removed the cooling fans.
3) Removed the tensioner (only because i broke it and needs to be replaced)
4) removed bottom bolt and top nut
5) Removed wire harness and wire.

Everything is disconnected.... this last issue is stopping progress.

Can you get two nuts on the stud?

If you can just put the two nuts on it and then using two wrenches tighten them against each other. Then place the wrench on the bottom nut and turn the stud out

I haven't found other posts with much detail and I'm running into an issue which is preventing me from removing the alternator.

2011 Explorer Limited 4WD V6

THE ISSUE: The top bolt is actually a nut, which I have removed. But the "stud" or threads is preventing me from removing the alternator. One post in this forum says to remove the "stud" but, .... how do you remove it?? See attached file for a pic of what I'm referring to.
So far i have:

1) Removed Air Intake
2) Removed the cooling fans.
3) Removed the tensioner (only because i broke it and needs to be replaced)
4) removed bottom bolt and top nut
5) Removed wire harness and wire.

Everything is disconnected.... this last issue is stopping progress.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
According to posts here, more items have to be removed. That is also confirmed in this thread; 2013 Explorer alternator change

Peter

Not sure why they merged my thread with that one.. that one doesn't answer my question!

Not sure why they merged my thread with that one.. that one doesn't answer my question!
It is about removing that alternator. Also, this thread and the linked one indicate that more items have to be removed than what you have done. I'm not sure if removing the extra items will help you with the removal.

Peter

I'll try the 8mm suggestion mentioned above.

Thanks

Hi guys! I’m new here. I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with the 3.5 v6. The alternator failed and I am replacing it but I cannot get it out of the location. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this has me stumped. Do I need to drop the AC compressor to get the alternator out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Anthony

Welcome to the Forum Anthony. :wave:
Your thread was moved to this existing one. Check out post #6. Hope that helps.

Peter

Used to have a Saturn and had to remove the passenger side engine mounts to get the alternator out. I just kept removing parts until I could get it out. Keep plugging away at it and when you figure it out, please report back with a step by step process to help others with the same issues.

Hi guys! I’m new here. I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with the 3.5 v6. The alternator failed and I am replacing it but I cannot get it out of the location. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this has me stumped. Do I need to drop the AC compressor to get the alternator out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Anthony
Hey Anthony, did you ever get it out? I have same issues alternator has failed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Anthony, did you ever get it out? I have same issues alternator has failed
Welcome to the Forum Barry. :wave:
Anthony was last seen here on June 3, 2020. That was his one and only post. FYI, I believe that only genuine Ford alternators will work.

Peter

Back