• Register Today It's free!

Am I missing a piece?

jessebitz

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
While looking under my 98 sport, I noticed a bar seemed to move pretty freely. I have no idea what this bar does. It is infront of the front axle. I will include a picture of the passenger side which seems to be the side missing the part and the drivers side, which looks to be complete. Even if this was setup correctly what does it do? I looked through my repair book but found nothing listed under the suspension/steering section. Any help is appreciated, Jesse

PICT0028.jpg

this is the passanger side that has the missing piece.

PICT0030.jpg

here is the other end of the bar on the drivers side.

PICT0031.jpg

this is what i saw that caught my eye. is it suppose to do that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your sway bar link is broken!!

are both sides broken? i dont wanna die :(

Get that fixed ASAP before you turn a corner to fast and do a ROLL OVER.

are both sides broken? i dont wanna die :(

No just one side is, but thats bad enough it is a ANTI-SWAY bar for cornering. Its what helps keep the vehicle level when cornering.

Do you notice rocking side to side at higher speeds?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195135

I have not noticed any difference at all lately..as far as I know it could have been like this since I bought the truck in August!

thank you for the link, that is deffinitly something i would be able to do..for right now i wil have to take it easy when im going around corners until i can get those parts installed..i will go to my local autozone and see what they have for a sway bar repair kit.

I have not noticed any difference at all lately..as far as I know it could have been like this since I bought the truck in August!

thank you for the link, that is deffinitly something i would be able to do..for right now i wil have to take it easy when im going around corners until i can get those parts installed..i will go to my local autozone and see what they have for a sway bar repair kit.

What you need is the LINK for the passenger side of the sway bar and rubber bushings too.

Yeah relatively inexpensive, my brother just changed his drivers side out on his Mazda.

You won't roll, I drove my old 97 without sway bars all the way up to Breezewood, PA a few times. At most your truck will start swaying side to side and it will probably attract the attention of people to the point they start pointing or trying to avoid you. But to be on the safe side so that the sway bar doesn't rip a tire, I would replace it (I've only heard of people ripping tire with the sway bar when offroading since the articulation of the front end is not limited).

Right- we removed them for track days on the Mustangs, but the turns were fun on the highway getting there!

But yeah- you need to fix that. Problem may be during an avoidance move or something- your truck will not handle like it should.

In any event get it fixed ASAP as it can cause a roll over in the proper conditions.

You won't flip over unless you drive like a Maniac. I've been driving now without a drivers side end link on my sway bar for about 6 months or more now. But it will handle better once you get it fixed.

OMG dont drive it it will flop on its roof without those pieces just leaving the driveway!
Your tires will go flat without those sway bar links!

No seriously, you can get replacements at Autozone if you want your front sway bar functional again.
Dont worry your truck is not going to blow up or roll over without a sway bar... geesh

OMG dont drive it it will flop on its roof without those pieces just leaving the driveway!
Your tires will go flat without those sway bar links!

No seriously, you can get replacements at Autozone if you want your front sway bar functional again.
Dont worry your truck is not going to blow up or roll over without a sway bar... geesh

HAHAHA that's what I was thinking when I read the first couple of posts.:confused:

Oh come on now guys, it can and has happened as even during test runs for FORD safety for roll over the vehicle without a sway bar will roll over, if under the right conditions when turning, the vehicle will flip. The vehicle with a sway bar stayed in a 45 degree angle, but never flipped.

Oh come on now guys, it can and has happened as even during test runs for FORD safety for roll over the vehicle without a sway bar will roll over, if under the right conditions when turning, the vehicle will flip. The vehicle with a sway bar stayed in a 45 degree angle, but never flipped.
And plenty of vehicles have flipped with sway bars too under just the right conditions. I drive an even taller and shorter rig and mine are gone, drive sensibly and it won't be a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, get that fixed ASAP. my friend's front end was making some noise the other day, we looked under it, and that same exact thing was a half turn away from doing the same as yours. thats not too good. haha

Back