American made/owned tire company? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

American made/owned tire company?

I need new tires for my '99 Explorer Sport.
Old tires are Michelin 255 70R16 and they have done well.

I want to look at an American owned/manufactured tire this time...might go for a smaller ratio and a more highway type tread...maybe a 245 70R16.

Any brand/model suggestions?

Sure do thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!
:usa: :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that information! Some of the tire shops around here are really advertising the nitrogen tire fill...I think I'll pass. Regards...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that information! Some of the tire shops around here are really advertising the nitrogen tire fill...I think I'll pass. Regards...

If it's free, you might as well take them up on it, as long as they keep it free if you ever need your tire psi adjusted. If they charge for it, its a different story. That's a very high profit margin for them with nitrogen fills.

The tire shops I see pushing the nitrogen fill are charging for it... I'm not surprised... :eek:

i vote for the Cooper's AT3!
great quality and price

The tire shops I see pushing the nitrogen fill are charging for it... I'm not surprised... :eek:

If I could figure out how to convince myself and my customers that charging $8 to put air in their tires is a good thing then I would be raking in a lot of extra $$ every month because N2 fill or not the PSI changes in the tire with the temperature change. That whole PV=nRT thing just doesn't care what gas you use.

If I could figure out how to convince myself and my customers that charging $8 to put air in their tires is a good thing then I would be raking in a lot of extra $$ every month because N2 fill or not the PSI changes in the tire with the temperature change. That whole PV=nRT thing just doesn't care what gas you use.

It's not just the gas law, but rather the moisture content. Nitrogen is definitely drier than compressed air. Also, the consistent density makes it less likely to leak through the rubber of the tires.

That being said, I use regular compressed air in all my cars, just like we've all be doing successfully for almost 100 years.

..True...One of the "Selling Points" of using Nitrogen in your tires is that it is "Drier"..

Something to think about..:scratch:
..Most people and air stations do not use a water separator on their air compressor's (or at least drain them properly) which allows water to also be pumped inside of your tire..This would help keep your tires from rotting from the inside out..

..I myself have had tires installed wth Nitrogen with me being allowed to get free re-fills for the life of the tires..That lasted till the first time I aired down..Doing this 3-20 times a month would make a nuisance on refilling the tires..:(

Endjack/

Back to our previously scheduled thread..:D

Air is ~75-85% Nitrogen already.

Air_composition_pie_chart.jpg

Sure, if you can get free Nitrogen fills they are a tiny bit better, especially for long term use, but that's usually something limited to collector cars to preserve the original tires and stuff like that. It works great on airplane tires too, but those also have an incredible amount of volume.

But paying for Nitrogen for a daily driver? No way, you can get 75-85% Nitrogen for free, why pay for the extra few percent more? What they use isn't even 100% pure Nitrogen either, so really you're just getting air with a higher Nitrogen content. As mentioned, they use air to mount the tires, so overall, you're just getting a little bit more Nitrogen.

So sure, using only Nitrogen is a great idea. But what you get at tire places is not that. It's marketing. It's based on complete truth, but what you actually get is not the same as the ideal they imply in the advertising.

Back