• Register Today It's free!

An Actual Issue with Audio.

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
Here's one for you to ponder. Yesterday morning it was -2 degrees F (for all the Canadians that is kinda like -19 degrees C) and I start up the Explorer. I have NO audio at all. I can see what radio or Sirius station is supposed to be playing, but no sound. I also have no sound when I try to connect my phone, although people on the other end knew I was calling.

I turned it off, then back on and nothing. I did this several times. This went on for quite a while even when the vehicle had totally warmed up inside. Finally, about an hour later, I had turned the vehicle off for a stop. When I turned it back on everything worked perfectly. Radio, Sirius, phone, the whole bit. Then I did not have any more problems yesterday, and when I started it up this morning at 23 degrees F (-5 C) everything was fine.

So, what's the thought? Electrical gremlins related to the cold? I think if it does it again while the Ford dealer is open, I'm going to drive it in and show it to them. Otherwise, I'll just ignore it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think my ears would freeze shut at -2°F. Maybe it wasn't the car?

(kidding of course, I hope I never find out if mine does that)

I'm not 100% sure but here in Cincinnati it was about the same temp yesterday and I didn't have any issues with my stereo/phone. Now I've only have the base system, so I don't know if having the Sony system would make a difference (if you have it,) but I seriously doubt that is supposed to work like that. I'd have it checked out, especially on a '14.

Only issue I had yesterday was I got a lower tire pressure warning, which was due to all the tires being about 5lbs low on air.

Well, if you are under warranty you can take it in and see what they say, or wait til it warms and and see if it works. Either something temporarily froze, or the cold did it in. If still does not work when it gets in the 30's, then take it in.

A few days ago it was -28 C (-18 F) here. It sounds like it could be a bad component in the audio system. If it is, that may be difficult to track down if the component begins working again when conditions warm up. It will be interesting to see if it happens again.

Peter

A few days ago it was -28 C (-18 F) here. It sounds like it could be a bad component in the audio system. If it is, that may be difficult to track down if the component begins working again when conditions warm up. It will be interesting to see if it happens again.

Peter

If it does, I'm heading straight to the shop with it running and grabbing the Service Manager so they can see it.

I will say this, my Nissan Murano sat out all day in those temps and I got a low tire warning. When I checked, they are the dumb type that don't tell you which tire is low, one had 31#, one 29#, and 2 had 28#. Normal inflation is 33# on that car, and I usually run them at 35#. Aired back to 35# and everything was fine.

I do some car audio and work on computers all day long. All I can say is that most electronics are not "intended" to function in this temperature.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say you probably had some sort of condensation freeze on the board creating a micro-trace that could have caused some sort of electrical short. Be it on the PCB itself, or one of your control dials. If you have an AUX-IN 3.5mm jack, make sure its clean as well.

If it does, I'm heading straight to the shop with it running and grabbing the Service Manager so they can see it.

I will say this, my Nissan Murano sat out all day in those temps and I got a low tire warning. When I checked, they are the dumb type that don't tell you which tire is low, one had 31#, one 29#, and 2 had 28#. Normal inflation is 33# on that car, and I usually run them at 35#. Aired back to 35# and everything was fine.

All tires lose pressure when the temperature drops. Approximately 1lb for every 10 degree drop.

I'm having a similar problem. Navigation occasionally says, "Navigation SD Card Fault. Please insert a valid SD Card . . . ". The card that originally came in the car is inserted. I take out card and reinsert and nothing changes. When this error appears nothing on the touch screen works. Worked fine when restarted later that day. Once the radio completely turned itself off then eventually started back up and stated it was performing an update. It was probably 50 degrees that day.

Just today (15 degrees) the same SD error appeared and when turning ignition off the radio didn't turn off when the door was opened. It eventually turned off, and was completely fine when restarted about an hour later.

I hope to take in to dealer this week as my front cup holders aren't lighting up, only one of the ceiling vents works, and a couple other minor things need repaired.

It's -1 this morning, I'm going to start the car shortly and see what happens this time. I'll report back later.

No issues the last 2 mornings at -1 F yesterday and 2 F today.

Had this happen multiple times. Not temperature, but Bluetooth. The BT locks up the audio feed because the audio thinks it's linked in with the BT.

When it happens, shut the BT on your phone off and see if the audio comes back on.

Had this happen multiple times. Not temperature, but Bluetooth. The BT locks up the audio feed because the audio thinks it's linked in with the BT.

When it happens, shut the BT on your phone off and see if the audio comes back on.

I shall try that if it happens again! Thanks

I'm having a similar problem. Navigation occasionally says, "Navigation SD Card Fault. Please insert a valid SD Card . . . ". The card that originally came in the car is inserted. I take out card and reinsert and nothing changes. When this error appears nothing on the touch screen works. Worked fine when restarted later that day. Once the radio completely turned itself off then eventually started back up and stated it was performing an update. It was probably 50 degrees that day.

Just today (15 degrees) the same SD error appeared and when turning ignition off the radio didn't turn off when the door was opened. It eventually turned off, and was completely fine when restarted about an hour later.

I hope to take in to dealer this week as my front cup holders aren't lighting up, only one of the ceiling vents works, and a couple other minor things need repaired.

If mine did this I'd take it to the dealer and explain that the Nav card is bad and have them give me a new A5 card for free. Or at least that's what the dealer told me to do.

Hey everyone!

I suggest a dealer visit if you're experiencing this concern, preferably while it's happening. They're in the best position to diagnose and correct it. :)

Rebecca
Sorry, Rebecca - but if we had to wait for a dealer to figure out every issue with MFT, worker productivity worldwide would have dropped as everyone was sitting in dealerships trying to figure out all the large and small issues with the hardware and software over the years we have endured.

Issues like the Bluetooth lockup of audio are not easily reproducible. Going and sitting in a dealer's service area would add to the frustration when they said "sorry, I can't get it to do that", because they won't be able to. But, they are real problems and happen. Mine does it at least a couple times a month.

I don't have nav, but the audio issue continues to be an annoyance. As dco says, the BT at times will not sync, or it loses sync. I have had calls not register, the young lady that says..."sync, please say a command" will not recognize any commands, and finally shuts down, and Siri only works sporadically. If I shut the car off and restart, everything is fine and may be that way for several days.

Today it's working fine, but tomorrow, who knows.

Back