Another a/c from defrost only question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another a/c from defrost only question?

188slo50

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
Yes I searched but from everything I've read I should have a broken actuator arm or unhooked vac line but I have nethier. I've looked at lines and see nothing unhooked and the door arm is good but still nothing from vents unless I move arm manually and tie off. My other problem is that I hear the blower blowing 3x harder than what air is coming out, I pulled motor thinking I had a broken squirrel cage but everything looks good. Any idea where and what to look for on either?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your symptoms point to two things. To date, I know of no Explorers with these symptoms caused by any other issues.

1. Air out of defrost vents. Lower glove box, completely, so it's hanging toward the ground. With a flash light, look up toward the radio. Move the vent selector from front vents to defrost. You will see the actuator rod move in and out. It will most likely not be connected to anything. Are you saying it is?

2. Fan on highest setting, no air and sounds horrible. With glove box down, turn vent selector from Max to vent only. Look toward front of vehicle through glove box opening. Above the blower you'll see where the air recirculates through the vent system. To the left of it is another actuator which closes off the recirc air or fresh air depending on selection. It too breaks off and the flap itself falls down covering the blower.

1. Yes arm is still connected and nothing is broke

2. I'll check this tomorrow.

I do get air but on 1 or 5 it's the same amount 5 is just a lot more noise.

Ok I checked and yes door is open but also notice if I pull off vac hose and turn selectors to different settings there's no suction on it. I looked around but can't see anything standing out as being unhooked to cause this. Any ideas of where to look or what else to check?

Not sure. I believe I have a vacuum leak with one of these hoses, so I'll be looking Into it on my own here shortly.

Nobody has any ideas of where to look or where I can find a vacuum diagram for this?

Back