Another lighting problem... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another lighting problem...

cfo20

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN--IU almost made it! Maybe next year.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2wd Sport
It seems like lighting problems are hitting the 91-94 explorers all at the same time, even mine! For some odd reason, my headlights will begin to blink on and off after they are on for about 10 minutes. It is real annoying, and people in front of me pull over and what not. It is only the headlights, nothing else. I don't know if it is the switch, a relay (or two) or any of the wiring. They will blink for a while, then I switch them back off and then on and they are fine for another 10 minutes. It sounds like the switch, but I haven't checked it yet. Anyone else with the first generation ever have a similar problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like maybe the relay for the lights is starting to fail. Test it out with a multimeter to be sure.

I'd say check the relay to start. Might be a loose wire harness or the switch, but unlikely since it's only the headlights. Good luck!

I had the same problem on my '91 Cougar except that after they flashed a few times they would simply go off. It turned out to be the switch in my case.

Atleast every body is getting out of your way

Back