Another OHV M90 build | Page 79 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,571

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The height increase will be 2 1/2", give or take 1/4 inch (gasket material, etc).

Ron will have to order up the material, get the machining done, welding. On his side, it will take some time.

Tim, whatever works for you, and anything I can do to help I will.

I'll be ordering up the rad that JD suggested earlier. Also, a fan will be in order. Maybe I'll try to get fancy and add a temp sensor so it doesnt run if its over about 70 degree's.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The height increase will be 2 1/2", give or take 1/4 inch (gasket material, etc).

Ron will have to order up the material, get the machining done, welding. On his side, it will take some time.

Tim, whatever works for you, and anything I can do to help I will.

I'll be ordering up the rad that JD suggested earlier. Also, a fan will be in order. Maybe I'll try to get fancy and add a temp sensor so it doesnt run if its over about 70 degree's.

An additional fan really isn't needed.the water never really gets that hot.normally the core doesn't transfer enough to heat the water that much and the front mount cooler is preety big.just check the mounting brackets real well, they sent me two that was welded backwards:(they paid for shipping in all to replace them tho;)make sure you get a good pump tho.I'm excited to see how much it drops.

I was wondering about the fan a bit. If your moving, air is passing thru the rad.

I'll look at a few supply shops for a 12v bilge pump with a high duty cycle.

Bilge pumps seem to have too much current draw. Not quite right for our application.
ebay is my friend.
SVT Mustang water coolant pump. Ive just committed to the project financially with my first purchase.

too late
I'll be giving this one a go. Hopefully it lasts for a while.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14050262824...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160&vxp=mtr

Oww I hope so to.those numbers seem pretty high and its a no name:(
One suggestion tho is to wire it to a switch which is fed by a " key on" power source. So you leave the switch on all the time but only runs the pump when the ignition is on .but reason for that is if your on long trips, on highway or whatever you can fip the switch off to turn the pump off.you don't want it running for long times when its not needed.or atleast this is what I do.
Fyi my front cooler temp never really get above ambient. I run ""cool water"" in my ic, think that's the name.said to run cooler than water or whatever:eek:

Good idea on the switch. Might save a lot of hours on the pump.

pump

too late
I'll be giving this one a go. Hopefully it lasts for a while.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14050262824...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160&vxp=mtr

I gave this one a try, it did not even move the coolant.
I was pissed. Then I got the Ford one.
The ford one works but it is on the week side and sometimes stalls and is hard to get coolant flow going.
Most lightning and cobra guys upgrade to a Meziere.
Thats what I am using now and with two radiators(one with fan).
here is a used one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meziere-Ele...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c5f2ddb3&vxp=mtr

and another new one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meziere-Ele...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6970ed6&vxp=mtr

I gave this one a try, it did not even move the coolant.
I was pissed. Then I got the Ford one.
The ford one works but it is on the week side and sometimes stalls and is hard to get coolant flow going.
Most lightning and cobra guys upgrade to a Meziere.
Thats what I am using now and with two radiators(one with fan).
here is a used one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meziere-Ele...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c5f2ddb3&vxp=mtr

and another new one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meziere-Ele...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6970ed6&vxp=mtr

That's bad news for me. The ebay feedback was great, so I pulled the trigger. Ouch. Thanks for posting though, that's for sure. I don't want to be wondering why my iat's are still really high.

I think either of the solutions posted (other than the one I purchased) are good ones. Just the fact that JD's post M90 air is ambient says it working pretty darn good. Only thing that could beat that would be some type of freon/ice box.

Maybe I can make a garden pond/water fall with the one I just bought. :(

I think either of the solutions posted (other than the one I purchased) are good ones. Just the fact that JD's post M90 air is ambient says it working pretty darn good. Only thing that could beat that would be some type of freon/ice box.

Maybe I can make a garden pond/water fall with the one I just bought. :(

Only thing that worries me is that he is using a heater core.those don't really transfer heat very well and have a tendency to leak.as far as the Bosch pump I've never had any problems except it doesn't prime its self for first time use, but I have mine mounted above the level of the front cooler.in the ranger it will be mounted lower.rocket was the one that suggested the Bosch pump to me, that other pump looks like a beast tho

JD, with that bosch pump, do you need fitting adapters?

If so, whats the thread type of adapter I need?
If not, what sice of hose? It will be either 5/8 or 3/4 inch. EDIT 3/4 inch hose.

Im going to go with the bosch pump for now. Its better for me as I only pay shipping once, and I know JD's works great. I don't think I'll ever be worried about making the power/heat 4pointslow is making anyway.

JD, with that bosch pump, do you need fitting adapters?

If so, whats the thread type of adapter I need?
If not, what sice of hose? It will be either 5/8 or 3/4 inch. EDIT 3/4 inch hose.

Im going to go with the bosch pump for now. Its better for me as I only pay shipping once, and I know JD's works great. I don't think I'll ever be worried about making the power/heat 4pointslow is making anyway.

Pretty sure it was 3/4.make sure the pump come with a harness, if not you can use a spare injector plug as the harness. Thats what I'm using.

don, there is a place called westcan hydraulics on mcphillips, and pacific that will more then likely have any fitting you would need.

Nice find Tim, I was using the sprayerwarehouse, but westchan hydraulics mite work better for this.

Ron ordered up the parts today. He's working thru the mechanics of the best way to build the intercooler box and have perfect seals. No doubt it will be a great design.

Hey Don, I started thinking about your iat. What headers are you running, I recall them being stainless but possibly not coated. Let me know I might have something for you.

I started rolling through some of the pages and didn't find it easy. So I figure let me ask, on the exhaust mani. / header gaskets which did you use? I am wondering if my recent JBA purchase if I need to find specific gaskets?

Back