• Register Today It's free!

another sas question

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
So, im in a dilemma. I bought a 91 explorer for a winter vehicle. I want to lift it, but im not sure if i should go SAS or not...honestly id only do it for aesthetic reasons. I wouldnt be doing THAT much offroading, but still some here and there. I can get a somewhat good deal on an ebd44, so im stuck. I don't know if i should just lift the ttb and be done with it, or do the whole swap.
if i stick with the ttb, what should i do, 4" suspension and 3" body lift, or use those coil spacers or what?
ive had no 4x4 vehicles previous to this so im new to all this, but not to vehicles, so im not completely stupid

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably just a 35" on a 15x8 or 15x10 rim. not sure if 35x12.5's rub or not.

Keep the ttb. What size tires do you want? 7" is a lot of lift.

since i dont want to sink TOO much money into this, i wanted to do the SOA in the rear so whichever would be best up front to do. unless the soa isnt a good setup.

will the 35x12.5 fit on a 15x10?

Yes, but you'll rub more with a 10" wheel.

but the rubber is still the same profile lol
also, im in canada, so these are CDN $ but this guy who has the EBD44 axle, said he'd give me the axle, radius arms, coil brackets, and some brake parts for $600. or a 75 f150 d44 for $200. i dont know if those are even good deals, but if i should stick with the ttb since no rock crawling or anything is going on then i should be fine.
thanks alot.

but the rubber is still the same profile lol
also, im in canada, so these are CDN $ but this guy who has the EBD44 axle, said he'd give me the axle, radius arms, coil brackets, and some brake parts for $600. or a 75 f150 d44 for $200. i dont know if those are even good deals, but if i should stick with the ttb since no rock crawling or anything is going on then i should be fine.
thanks alot.

From what I've read the F150 axle will be 7.5" wider than stock. The eb axle will fit and is about the same width.

A 35x12.5 tire will fit on a 14" wide wheel if you want it to...

Since 10" is 2" wider than 8", when you turn the scrub radius is bigger and you will rub more. If you don't believe me, go ahead and get 10" wheels. Up to you...

Also a 10" wheel is more likely to lose a bead when aired down than a n 8" wheel.

$600 is a lot for that axle is a bit high. You can get a complete lift for the ttb for less than that.

Really? i thought the superlift ones went for like $1300?

Explorers are 31 spline... unless someone swapped something in the past. The spline count isn't what really matters here... the tube diameter does. The one for the 31 spline is the correct one for your axle tube diameter.

is it better to go with a wider axle or a stock width one? can i still use the stock d44 in the rear with the EBD44?

Wow that's great and for really cheap! Don't you need spring over perches though? I don't understand how this works. Or is that the u-bolt plates?
That is a kit to convert from spring UNDER axle to spring OVER axle... and it's everything you will need to do the rear. Total lift from using those parts was 6".
When I installed mine, I removed the axle..and placed said perches on the differential tube. Lifted the differential to contact the spring. Installed the u-bolts using supplied hardware but left them loose (finger tight). To help in centering the differential, I left the original spring perches on the differential tube and through shear luck, when I installed the u-bolts, the sides of the bolts contacted the original spring perches leaving me with a "near centered" differential. All I had to do after was weld the new perches into place.
The rear shock mounts worked real well as I welded them to the lower stabilizer mounts on the differential.
Easy as pie!!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention to set the pinion angle BEFORE welding the new perches to the differential. OOPS! That would have been a nasty mistake!!

Whats the status on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front TTB D35 is 27 spline. Also using a rear D44 will be weaker than the explorers 8.8.
Lifting the TTB is still going to be alot cheaper than doing an SAS. There are companies like skyjacker and rough country that make lifts for the TTB.
Also look at whats needed to do an SAS besides just the axle. You will more than likely need to get new u-joints and all seals, bearings and bushings for the axle since who knows how long its been sitting up and it was made in the 1970s. You will need to fabricate a new steering setup, trac-bar and mount for it as well as radius arm mounts. Also new brakes(rotors maybe calipers) etc..

The TTB is a fairly stout setup but it has its drawbacks, but its still reliable enough to take some pretty decent off-road abuse. Also you can buy just the front TTB lift parts separetly from the rear that way you can do your own SOA for the rear and come out cheaper.

Back