Another Tow Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Tow Question

This is my first post on this site, but I have been reading through many of the old threads. I currently own an 04' explorer with the 4.0 and 3.55 gears. I am looking at purchasing a pop up trailer that is 5.5' high (should have little wind resistance) and has an unloaded weight of 2270 lbs. Will I be having any towing issues with this load? I tow a 20ft fiberglass boat that weighs 1500lbs, which has a raised center console creating a lot of wind resistance, at times the explorer struggles (downshifts) when pulling the boat. I know the load should be within limits, just wondering what I should expect from pulling this load.

watch the load hitch

Some pop-ups are not designed to run a distro hitch. You can overload the camper frame and axle and damage it. My brother in law did it with mine. double check before you do it.

I lunched a trans with mine, but was more stupidity on my part. Keep the trans cool, don't get in too big of a rush, and it will do fine. If you don't have brakes on the camper, pay attention going down hills :usa:

The tounge weight of the trailer is supposed to be 210lbs. Is this a high number I should be worried about? I would imagine the air drag of the trailer will be minimal.

The tounge weight of the trailer is supposed to be 210lbs. Is this a high number I should be worried about? I would imagine the air drag of the trailer will be minimal.

That should be fine almost a little on the light side of things as it normally is recommenced to be at least 10% of the total trailer weight.

Back