Another will they fit/rub question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another will they fit/rub question

Will they fit, and/or will they rub:

'98 Sport, Stock tire size currently is 255/70-16 Michelin LTX M/S.
Specs:
Rim Width: 6.5-8
Section Width: 10.3 on 7.5
Dia: 30.2"

The ones I'm considering are Michelin LTX AT2's Size LT265/70/16
Specs:
Rim Width: 7-8
Section Width: 10.5 on 7.5
Dia: 31.65

The way I'm reading the numbers, the new tire should be 0.2" wider (so 0.1" on either side) and 1.45" taller, so as long as I have 3/4" of clearance on the current tires, I should be golden, right?

Will it fit/rub?

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller!!

With the wider rim, you'll likely get rubbing near the front bumper on one side and near the door on the other side... and there might be contact with the wheel well plastic - which makes a pretty scary sound...

They're the stock rims... I measured around my current wheels at all spots I could on level pavement (I couldn't stuff it either way) and it looks like I've got at least an inch of clearance all the way around my almost-bald LTX M/S's, so it *should* clear everything but *maybe* the plastic nub on the passenger side fender flare...

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I've done a torsion twist on the front and WAR shackles on the rear, so that almost returned it to the height it was when it was new. :)

I might give it a shot... The original size tires just look small in the wheel wells now.

It should fit -- the only question is gijoecam, are willing to follow the rest of us down the dark path of lifting and off roading?
devil_smile.gif
Because once you start, you know that wallet of yours? Oh yeah, it's going to become a lot lighter than what it is now.

Mine looked like they had clearance too, until I actually hit the road. Try the tires on and drive around for a bit... you'll know right away. And you want to hit dips in the road to see if you bottom out...

(i had my struts replaced by a company a while back, and it messed up my clearance - no one knows why) And just a little trimming was done to the lower valance...

Back