Anti Rattle Clips for Brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti Rattle Clips for Brakes

ricklee4570

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 94 Sport. Had the front end rebuilt, still had a rattle sound when I hit bumps. Went back and had the shop check it out. They said it needed the anti rattle clips for the front brakes. They put them in, it stopped making the noise..........for three days. So, back it went, and they fixed it again, this time it lasted for a week. Im nowhere near this shop now, and I guess Im wondering if this is an inherent problem with these Explorers? If you lightly apply the brakes, all noise stops.

By the way, brake pads are like new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your pads have the shims molded into them? My old pads, the shims rusted away and would rattle like there is no tomorrow. My new pads do it too, but to a far lesser degree, and they have molded shims.

I bought this stuff, comes in a spray can, and goes on blue. It is made to apply to the BACK (non-contact side) of brake pads to fill in all the small imperfections in the pad backing that cause the noise. I was told the noise is the pads rubbing against the caliper when you hit small bumps. Once dried, put pads back on and quite like a church mouse. The amount you need, compared to the amount you get in a can, would probably last you a lifetime of brakes. And it was under $5.

Wow, I will try that! Thanks for the advice.

By the way, besides being very annoying, does it hurt anything when they are rattling away?

Mine did the same thing.. The clips fixed the rattle for a while now its right back doing it

Brake noise depends a lot on the parts you're using. Cheaply remanufactured calipers, loose caliper slide pins, low end brake pads, and low end rotors with thin and flimsy anti-squal plates or clips still add up to a noisy system. High performance brakes actually squeal quite a bit and stop rather poorly until they get really warm.

Most often its the material on the pad or the pad design that causes squeal, though, often being incorrect for the application. (too soft, too hard, wrong useful heat range) If it continues to be a problem, you might want to see about having the pads replaced with something else, perhaps even Motorcraft pads from Ford.

Do you know what brand and model of pads are on there now? Some brands are notoriously noisy, sometime just on particular vehicles, though.

I've used NAPA parts and pads/shoes and they've always been quiet as can be. Even when I wore the pads down to the pins and it was just metal on metal stopping the vehicle. Can't beat that for low noise.

I bought the pads from Advance Auto and I didn't have much money so I'm sure they are the cheap stuff........ I will upgrade next pay day and see what that does for me

I keep hearing about these Rattle Clips. I just saw a picture of them on the NAPA website but at a quick glance I cannot see where they would fit on the caliper to do their job. anyone have a picture of them installed?

Back