AntiFreeze in Trans and Murphy's Law.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AntiFreeze in Trans and Murphy's Law....

kmank

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hello Folks. Hope all are well and your Holiday preps are going smoothly.
Well, I know you all must know about Murphy's Law; "If something can go wrong it WILL go wrong", well....need I say more? After going over the different methods of flushing out the transmission fluid that were in a posted thread by 'blenton' ('Great! Now I've got chocolate pudding in my underpants') I decided to go with the method offered by 'Greg J- where he connects hoses to both the feed and return lines that were disconnected from radiator.
In one bucket he filled it with trans fluid and inserted the return line that would go back to tranny and in the other bucket he fastened the pressure/feed line where he would collect the contaminated fluid. It sounded all too good and not too complicated. Yeah, right. Here's where Mr. Murphy will wield his mighty power. I set everything up just as it was written and started 'er up. Would you believe that instead of that line sucking up that new fluid it started pouring out the same strawberry colored fluid that was coming out of the other line that was supposed to feed fluid to the radiator. BOTH lines were pumping(???) out fluid.
What the heck is going on here? Is it possible that this pump that circulates the trans fluid thru the cooling process is a "pressure" pump and not a "suction" pump? But how come it supposedly worked for "Greg J" ? I'm stumped. Anybody out there with a suggestion? Would appreciate any of your knowledge. Thanx. Sorry for the length of this. gk

The thermostatic valve will be closed when the trans is cool. The result is what you and I have seen, fluid pumps from one and spills from the return too.

I only took off the upper cooling line from the radiator and connected another hose to it and pointed it down into a large container. The open end that came off of on the radiator was simply plugged with a rag.

Pump out until it starts to gurgle, stop, poor 3.5 quarts back in. Check the fluid level when it's hot and add if necessary.

You can repeat that process over the course of a day or two for a more complete fluid change.

antifreeze in trans...........

My98nnj, wow, do I appreciate that info. I've been in a complete state of limbo not knowing what my next move would be. I'm not going to say that Xmas has arrived early but I will say that the "giving" part sure has. Thanx, again. Will try to get out there and re-set what I got. Forgive me for not responding as quickly as I should but some physical issues keep me from doing so. gk
PS: As I flush the "strawberry" fluid and refill/replace with with clean fluid isn't that just mixing with the good stuff with the remaining bad fluid? I mean, I'm goin' to do it one way or the other but I'd just like to figure the amount of time and fluid before I (hopefully) start seeing un-contaminated stuff going into the bucket. Any point during this process that I shoould start watching/worrying about trans fluid temperature? Thanx

Back