Any bolt-on cat-back for '01 Sports? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any bolt-on cat-back for '01 Sports?

Silver X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brownstown Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
I know, I know, another exhaust question in here..... :confused:

My stock exhaust is mangled from a rear-end accident last year, and I'm tired of the annoying vibration against the floor since they "fixed" it. Does anyone besides Gibson make a bolt-on cat-back exhaust kit specifically for an '01+ 2dr Sport? I'm not too sure I like the tone of the Gibson, I think it needs to be lower. I want something low and mellow, but not loud and obnoxious. I would really like a 50 series Flowmaster, but I can't find a complete kit that I can just bolt on. The Morgan-tec sounds pretty good too, but same problem. If anyone knows where I can get a complete single outlet cat-back system, please list what brand it is, where you got it, and how much it lists for. Part numbers would help too if available.

I don't want an exhaust shop to put one on, because they use junk materials at the shops around here and charge way too much for decent stuff. I liked the sound of my custom exhaust on my Ranger, but it rusted out after only a year and I only drove it a few times....it wasn't worth the $300. I'd rather buy a quality kit for a little more and install it myself. At least it'll last. If I can't find anything else, I guess I'll get the Gibson stainless set-up and eventually change out the muffler if I don't like it.

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all else fails you can try a flow master kit from a 00 sport on your truck. 00 and 01 are mechanically identical and the exhaust should work for you.

Thanks Doug.
I hope so, but I couldn't find one on the Flowmaster site for any year SOHC Sport when I searched. They only list one for the 5.0L in their search. Do you know where I could order one or have a part number I could ask a vendor for? Nobody seems to know anything about Explorers unless I give them actual manufacturer part numbers. :fire:

I went ahead and ordered the Gibson swept side cat-back in stainless steel. I can't wait to get something new on there. The buzzing and leaking exhaust is driving me nuts. Now I just need to get the timing chain tensioner fixed again and the check engine light diagnosed and I'll be happy...going in next week for that.

Keep us updated on how it turns out. Quality, installation, sound, etc. Thats the only "kit" I have seen for mine as well. These locals..... :rolleyes:

I asked for a price quote for a single in dual out system with a flomaster 50 series (delta flow) on another vehicle. The price was sky high (over $300), but get this. He wanted to put a reverse "Y" pipe in and two glasspacks (not flows which they sell), then dual pipes. :eek:

Brian_B said:
Keep us updated on how it turns out. Quality, installation, sound, etc. Thats the only "kit" I have seen for mine as well. These locals..... :rolleyes:

I asked for a price quote for a single in dual out system with a flomaster 50 series (delta flow) on another vehicle. The price was sky high (over $300), but get this. He wanted to put a reverse "Y" pipe in and two glasspacks (not flows which they sell), then dual pipes. :eek:

wow thats even confusing (sp) to read :confused:

I didn't have any trouble following that, Brian.

I know Borla makes a cat-back for my Sport, but it retails for around $600. Its stainless steel with a lifetime warranty, but thats a little more than I want to spend. I can get 20% off, but its not worth the trouble. I've been waiting for over a year to buy some other things from Borla through our employee discount plan. I just gave up on them and decided not to bother our purchasing people with personal items....even though its one of our benefits.:banghead:

I just found this Flowmaster cat-back a few minutes ago (noticed their ad as I was typing this reply): performancepeddler.com

Product ID: FLO17363
Category: Flowmaster-Cat Back Ford
Description: '97-'98 Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC V6, Flanged Cat, 2/4 Wheel Drive, 2 and 4 Door, Incl. Hardware, Heat Shield, 2.25" Outlet, 50 Series SUV/Performance Muffler, Force II, SOS
Price: $259.92
17363.jpg

(just found it for $230.99 at www.SummitRacing.com)

I wonder what the differences are between the '97-'98 and the '01 models are. May just need a little tweaking. Looks like it comes with the intermediate pipes for the 2dr and 4dr too. Wish I found this before I ordered my Gibson. I'd be willing to try to get it to fit. I wonder if I can change my order....hmm.

Damn, here's another available cat-back and its specific to the '00/'01, but unfortunately no pics to compare:
Magnaflow

Anyone know the differences between the '97-'01 4.0L SOHC exhausts?

I was not aware of the flomaster one at all. I wonder what the difference is. Mine is an 01 (4 door) so its similar to yours I would assume. The intermediate pipe is in the pic for mine.

My tailpipe exits directly out the back. I want mine out the side like that pic.

I went to the summit website. It lists the 4wd and 4 door as options, but only in those two years. Weird. thats a good price for aluminized (just not 50 series delta-flow). I suppose when I get caught up again I should contact flowmaster.

EDIT: Now I remember why I have not contacted them directly before. There is no E-mail address on the website just a phone. Being deaf has serious disadvantages. :(

You can contact us the following ways:

Flowmaster Mufflers Inc.
100 Stony Point Road, Ste 125
Santa Rosa, CA 95401

Phone: (800) 544-4761
Fax: (707) 544-4784
Toll-free: (800) 544-4761

Anyone interested in calling them to find out why it only fits two years?

The differences between the '97-99 and the '99-01 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC is that for '97-98 and early '99, they used a dual inlet, single outlet muffler. The inlets had one flanged inlet and one slip-on.

For the '99 MY, they installed a y-pipe before the muffler on the Sport. AFAIK, the only difference between the '99 thru '01 Sport and the 4-doors is the length of that inlet pipe.

It was a royal PITA to find a quality aftermarket replacement for my muffler when it rotted out. I was able to get a Flowmaster 50 series Perfomance/SUV dual in, single out for $100 and have a shop do the install for $50.

Hey guys, perhaps yall can help me. Does anyone make a cat back (or even a full kit) for an 02 sport? I've checked gibson, flowmaster, borla, magnaflow and summit only to find that there's nothing for my X...

The '02 2dr Sport should use the same kit as the '01 2dr Sport. Gibson and Borla are the only one I've found who sell kits for us. I can't find the part number for the Borla kit, I wrote it down but lost it. I had to get it from their book that has all of their available parts, since it isn't found on their website.

I'll check the books tomarrow at my dads shop...

Back