Cat-Back Exhaust Input Needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cat-Back Exhaust Input Needed

sounds pretty good actually. anyone else have any sound clips? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I fitted a Borla system just after I bought new 10 years ago. I think it sounds great with a nice deep V8 burble.

If you have the Sohc V6, trust me and have a performance resonator like a Pro-flow installed in front of the muffler. The V6 came stock with a resonator and trust me you need it.

I had three mufflers, a Flowmaster 50 SUV, SS 409 and Magnaflow they all resonated like crazy between 2300- 2900rpm. Could not turn up the radio because the drone cut right through it. This was one of the most aggrivating drones ever.

Finaly I had the muffler shop install the resonator but they used a stock flow unit which increased back pressure. Going to swap it out soon with a Maganflow resonator.

You should go to a muffler shop and have them weld the muffler of your choice in with custom pipe- cheaper and better.

Some company makes a one chamber that is supposed to sound just like the V8 explorers, but I forget the name- methinks its Mac.

Lazzman said:
If you have the Sohc V6, trust me and have a performance resonator like a Pro-flow installed in front of the muffler. The V6 came stock with a resonator and trust me you need it.

Oh really? I do not have any such device on my truck and no noise inside.

My 50 only gets loud when I get on it, other than that its rather mild and cruising is silent

Lazzman said:

I had three mufflers, a Flowmaster 50 SUV, SS 409 and Magnaflow they all resonated like crazy between 2300- 2900rpm. Could not turn up the radio because the drone cut right through it. This was one of the most aggrivating drones ever.

Finaly I had the muffler shop install the resonator but they used a stock flow unit which increased back pressure. Going to swap it out soon with a Maganflow resonator.

You should go to a muffler shop and have them weld the muffler of your choice in with custom pipe- cheaper and better.

Some company makes a one chamber that is supposed to sound just like the V8 explorers, but I forget the name- methinks its Mac.

I have the flowmaster super 40's, they are a larger case than the regular 40 series, they have a powerful tone when you get on it but you can barely hear it at idle, there is also less interior resonance than the 40 series, in case you want a loud muffler outside and a nice sound inside, dont get me wrong though, windows down and pedal down, i cant hear a thing!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

so i guess im leaning twoards the gibson now...anyone have any comments about those?

Gibson

If you do go Gibson, get the stainless. My brother had an aluminized Gibson on his Dakota and it rusted through in under 18 months. :mad: He lives in Vermont. Just my $0.02.

well i ordered the gibson stainless sweptside today from performance4trucks. 373.95 and they had free shipping, should have it in two weeks, since it takes a week to get it from the factory then a week for them to send it to me.

I ordered my stainless catback from Autoanything.com and it was 361.95 with free shipping and I got it also in about 10 days.

well i got my gibson catback today fianlly. going to try to get it on tomorow or wednesday. how long is typical install i have to have it done before work. any install tips? i have already hit all the hangers and bolts with pb blaster, exhuast was still hot and im headed to work so it will pry just burn off lol. ill soak them agian when i get home and beofre i start tomorow. any good tips? is it easier to start cutting it off first? thanks

Ranger379 said:
well i got my gibson catback today fianlly. going to try to get it on tomorow or wednesday. how long is typical install i have to have it done before work. any install tips? i have already hit all the hangers and bolts with pb blaster, exhuast was still hot and im headed to work so it will pry just burn off lol. ill soak them agian when i get home and beofre i start tomorow. any good tips? is it easier to start cutting it off first? thanks

take some pics !!!

will do as soon as i get the camera working

could you have a catback system put in, and then change the muffler you got with it?

yes, depends on what muffler u want - would need to be same size pipe and all. y do u ask?

iv had my gibson exhaust for awhile now and no rust. now the flowmaster on the f150 we have we had on there for a year or so and we had to take it back to get redone because of it rusting.

in case you wanted a flowmaster cat back system, but an IMCO extreme muffler?

I have a Gibson on my 99xlt SOHC (5 years now). Had a problem when I first got it with fit. They sent a new muffler assembly no questions asked (great customer service). It sounds great as long as you dont mind resonance inside the cabin at 2200 rpm or greater. I finally added a pacesetter tailpipe resonator to get rid of the groan on those long trips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wanna explain resonance? dont think i know exactly what it is....i tihnk.... lol

Back