• Register Today It's free!

any ideas idle problem

mcgyver ky

Reaction score
City, State
ky where all the mud is
Year, Model & Trim Level
91ford exporer eddiebauer
my daughter bought a 99 explorer xlt and she is worring me to death she just got it and it starting idling at start up and then dies she says she smell gas anybody got same problems i was planing to put the scanner on it but havent had time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its idling way too low, or dying unless you crack the throttle a little bit at idle, then its a good bet that the IAC valve is bad. Search for IAC and you will find a lot of threads, they seem to be a common problem especially on 2nd gen (95-up) Explorers.

Is it the SOHC 4.0 engine? If so, have the lower intake manifold o-rings been replaced? Search for 00M12 and 01M01 for information regarding the problem.

no truck was bought three weeks ago

and it was low miles and all paperwork showing service will let you know what i find out going to put it on my scanner this week waiting for her to let it sit for a few seconds she runs all the time from work to school then to boyfriends i will get a chance to look at later this week

IAC worked for me. Easy 15-30 minute job. 4 screws holding on SOHC plastic cover then 2 screws and electrical connection holding the IAC on. Clean it and see if that fixes the problem if it does then its time to look for a new part as according to the board once it is failing, cleaning only cures the syptoms for a few weeks.

Brian

PS this wont through any to pull codes

IS it a SOHC or the 5.0 V8?

Mine is SOHC

and she is driving me nuts and i keep telling her i have to have the truck for at least a hour but she is a she and dont understand

like my friend who is a transmission specialst he has had people bring there car in at 6:00 pm and want it done by morning so i quote him" well sure let me get my magic wand out"

Mcgyver, does it only idle bad when it's cold? If yes, and it is the SOHC 4.0 engine, have the lower intake manifold o-rings been replaced? They are a problem adn a common cause for cold idle problems.

Search for 00M12 and 01M01 for information regarding the problem.

hey i think i got it

the moter is 4.0 IOHC i put it on the scanner and got nothing then took the IAC off and it was clean there was no codes in it at all tested the IAC and it was working so i took the ground off and touched it to the hot so it would decharge the selnoids and made the computer relearn and now its fine

one i dont know if my little girl is just not used to the way the moter on the exporer runs she said it was like it was going to die when she came to a light i drove it and its a very fine truck responded very well and never died she just traded her chevy for it and the chevy was a peace of junk idled too fast amung other things it was my nightmare all i did was work on the thing glad its gone thanks for all the help

MINE WOULD REV UP THEN WANTS TO STALL,,,THEN IT DIES (RIP)...MY IDLER WAS MESSING UP, SO GOT IT REPLACED AND BOOM! MY ENGINE BLOWS UP PISTONS START FYING OUT OF THE HOOD!!! J/K...THAT WOULD SUCK...NA...IT WAS FINE...SHE IS ALIVE, ONCE AGAIN TO ONLY DIE (AGAIN)! CUZ SHE IS A FORD!!!

sorry 'bout the caps

Back