Any options to replace police-style dome lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any options to replace police-style dome lights?

Eberhama

Reaction score
City, State
Moorhead
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Interceptor Utility
I'm trying to de-copify a 17 explorer, just wondering if anyone has come up with a replacement for the giant round dome lights? whether aftermarket or out of something else? Did a search and didn't really find anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :salute:
Do you know if part of the headliner was cut to accommodate that light? Hopefully they just used the regular power outlet there. If so, you might be able to just install the retail light fixture in its place.

Peter

there are pretty good sized holes punched in the headliner to accommodate the round lights. the retail explorers only have lights in the overhead console. The retail ones do have a second and third row light, but I'm not sure if they'd work or not.

there are pretty good sized holes punched in the headliner to accommodate the round lights. the retail explorers only have lights in the overhead console. The retail ones do have a second and third row light, but I'm not sure if they'd work or not.
If you are not able to find a fixture that covers everything up, you may want to consider replacing the headliner altogether. Perhaps another member has gone through this and can add to this thread.

Peter

I got a full headliner to do my 2015 Explorer.

yep.....look for the 1994 era ford explorer dome light in black. other ford's may have used the same one.

it does require a bit of DIY and wiring from the door/dash if you want them to come on with the doors opening, but it covers the entire hole left from the PIU red light.

also...important....make sure you get the light and the base it attaches to. it actually grounds to the base iirc.

You will either need to grab a headliner out of a junkyard or install new lights. The rear dome light can be removed, trimmed out, and the factory rear light installed. Its a nice fit. For the front dome light you will need a larger light to fit or a factory light will sit at an angle. (Seriously Ford why couldn't you have stamped the light out straight front to rear!) I used a dome light out of a 2004 Ford Explorer sport trac, installed LEDs, and painted it black to match. Both lights are not plug and play and you will need to wire them in along with running the positive wire for when the door is open.

You will either need to grab a headliner out of a junkyard or install new lights. The rear dome light can be removed, trimmed out, and the factory rear light installed. Its a nice fit. For the front dome light you will need a larger light to fit or a factory light will sit at an angle. (Seriously Ford why couldn't you have stamped the light out straight front to rear!) I used a dome light out of a 2004 Ford Explorer sport trac, installed LEDs, and painted it black to match. Both lights are not plug and play and you will need to wire them in along with running the positive wire for when the door is open.

Have any pics by chance? I have been looking for other models to get a dome light out of that would fill the hole and not look out of place.

THIS IS FOR 2014 PIU 5TH GEN.
yes all police interceptor comes lights removed
This is must be on top topic
i spent long hours to find
no ford parts for that and all PIU comes as removed

ebay one mr, abuse sells each $148 (entire console is $90 lol)
how convert 6 pin original from ford to 2 pin and cover rest of hole (piu hole is larger)
This parts is not in any junk yard because it is removed even from junk PIU s,
original connector must be 14s411c last image

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 11.54.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 11.54.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 11.57.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 11.57.41 AM.png 14s411c connector.jpeg

I have one of those lights as shown above....but it's important to know that in a civilian Explorer, the headliner has a bracket in which those lights snap. You'd have to find a way to secure that lamp into the PIU headliner...

I'm trying to de-copify a 17 explorer, just wondering if anyone has come up with a replacement for the giant round dome lights? whether aftermarket or out of something else? Did a search and didn't really find anything.
I think the best thing to do would be to find a headliner out of a crashed one and replace the entire thing.

I have one of those lights as shown above....but it's important to know that in a civilian Explorer, the headliner has a bracket in which those lights snap. You'd have to find a way to secure that lamp into the PIU headliner...
installed even tesla screen but this one seems longer time still back side of my piu has no lights? Hard to find and the socket is complete diffrent i guess i have to cut that and convert to single button on and off only shape
any images or instruction on this appreciated

Back