Any recommendations other than Rockauto for lower rear control arm bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any recommendations other than Rockauto for lower rear control arm bushings?

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Tried energy suspension, but they don't go to 3rd gen on lower rear control arm bushings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MOOG? FoMoCo?

those are usually my go to brands when not ES. if you go fomo, try tousleyfordparts.com, or levittown ford parts, they are a vendor here!

Why no rock auto? You can get them on amazon.

Why no rock auto? You can get them on amazon.
I agree with stynx rock auto is just the supplier not the brand, they almost always have the cheapest prices and carry almost every motorcraft part you could buy for these cars so it’s pointless to look elsewhere honestly. Dealers will have the same parts for you just more expensive

MOOG? FoMoCo?

those are usually my go to brands when not ES. if you go fomo, try tousleyfordparts.com, or levittown ford parts, they are a vendor here!
Levitown shows the lower control arms rear discontinued, I dont know if the one on Rock auto is for the lower knuckle bushing in the control arm.

Messaged Levitown with vin number for a callback, they were cheapest for the reveal molding for the windshield.

Rockauto has one listed as rear knuckle, this is for the above posters. but it ACDelco, which I know is not bad but it is the only one that mentions rear knuckle. I assume they are press fit.

I will check amazon, I would like a compatible part number from ES. or an equivalent.

Any other vehicles, share this setup for the rear lower knuckle besides mountaineer and aviator?

Edit: Mustangs?

Doesn't look like Moog has that particular bushing. WO buying whole lower control arm.

MOOG? FoMoCo?

Levitown got back to me, said unfortunately there is no ford stock number, only sold with the lower control arm whole. Suggested 3rd party suppliers. so I am going with these, hopefully they fit.

ACDELCO 45G11090

Will update when they arrive since they shipped DHL to USPS they won't arrive until the 18th maybe. Ordered on the 7th.

Keep us posted. I will likely have to start replacing bushings all over pretty soon.

Keep us posted. I will likely have to start replacing bushings all over pretty soon.
I got the AC Delco ones.
My HD ball joint ect removal kit, does not have the right size for the press side. the cup with a cut out in it fits on the other. I have determined a 28 mm impact socket should work best to press it through. I didn't have one improvised with a 1 1/4" socket night before last and got one side out.

First attempt, i managed to push the guts out. So was left with the Race, or outer steel tube. I used impact hammer, was gonna try chiseling it through, was dark so I don't know if there is a one way in or out indentation or not.

Use penetrating oil a week or so ahead of time. ALOT of heat. I am about to attempt the other side. I will try to get pictures.

I also have to see how bad I tore up the old bushing hole in the control arm passenger side.

On a side note. The long travel front CV axles arrived today. Will attempt pictures as well.

EDIT, the lower control arm bushings on the front. Those are ONE BEAR of a chore to remove. I couldn't even break the lower front bolt loose.

I have a Milwaukee 3/4" impact drive and those are the only bolts, it hasn't been able to budge.

A 2nd gen, not a 3rd, but I just had local shop put in all the control arms with the ball joints & bushings, and the lower ball joints. Used "Precision" brand, believe they are owned/made by MOOG. Didn't want to pay repeated labor for changing things out one at a time. FWIW

A 2nd gen, not a 3rd, but I just had local shop put in all the control arms with the ball joints & bushings, and the lower ball joints. Used "Precision" brand, believe they are owned/made by MOOG. Didn't want to pay repeated labor for changing things out one at a time. FWIW
I needed to replace a cv axle and wheel bearing, so I went with whole new knuckle, and that one cv axle got knocked apart by my idiot ex nephew in law back when I re did the suspension and lift. could never get it to hold the grease inside the boot. Plus Michigan salt, really killed the threads on my cv axles, so decided since it was apart, I would replace those.

During disassembly I noticed the ragged shape the rear knuckle bushings were in, so added that to the list.

Well got the driver's side removed. And I'm wore out for the day. My ball joint set really isn't made for these bushings. Idk how I'm going to get the new ones in. Have a couple ideas but that will wait till Sunday most likely.
Left is driver's right is passengers sides got drivers side out.

IMG_20220519_151633237~2.jpg IMG_20220519_151618220~3.jpg

I did their kit is same as mine. Well Advance auto anyway. AutoZone is an 2 hour round trip.

Got other side out yesterday. I'll get them long travel fronts CV axle pics soon.

Got em installed, the new knuckles on, (side note, you have to use the old parking brake attachments) rotated rear tires, just too tired to take of the jack stands and test drive.

Plus really wanting to swap the front end long travels CVs first. Might have to wait a few weeks for those.

Back