anyone actually have a supercharged v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone actually have a supercharged v8

BobCarter

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
anyone actually got a supercharged 5.0 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only 2 guys on here i know of with a blown v8 are "troll" and "pur pony." try a search for either of them and youll find a lot of stuff. last i remember, pur pony was selling his truck, but i dont know if he sold it yet or not.

i think its only those two guys on here. but i'm sure hundreds of other people do. i ran into one the other day down here in phoenix. guy was talking crap at a gas station and i made him pop the hood and he wasn't lying. he said it made 6 lbs (not very much) so i ran him after we filled up and he pulled away pretty good after about 45.

lol......6lbs.......thats like nothing

some of those imports get like 35lbs...

why would u spend that much just to get 6lbs?

because an explorer is a truck which isnt meant for speed, the trannies stink, and it would need a helluva lot of other work to be able to run more boost. not to mention, most people use their explorers for daily drivers, not secondary vehicles. though, im not sure how much boost or how big a nitrous shot troll runs. i think alec runs a 65 shot and i thought i read somewhere he was running something like 9 lbs of boost.

thats true. I guess it just seems like it would be better to invest that kind of performance money into a car that can actually perform if you know what i mean.

the other important point is the complex electronic timing that most of the imports now come with. and the explorer does not. it allows for much higher safe boost numbers.

time out man- invest the dollars in a car that can actually perform? what is that. if someone wants to make there explorer fast why not? don't hate. troll's truck flat out performs. and i for one run well with many so called "sports cars". besides the fact that i can carry 5 people, there golf clubs, a mountain bike for each of them, their luggage for three days, and a 5 cubic foot sub box all at the same time while still probably running the quarter in the fifteens with that load. don't tell me that's not performance. if you don't think an explorer can perform keep it to yourself, this is not a good place to say stuff like that. many of us LOVE our explorers, if you don't why are you here, and why do you own one?

Originally posted by expo5.0
time out man- invest the dollars in a car that can actually perform? what is that. if someone wants to make there explorer fast why not? don't hate. troll's truck flat out performs. and i for one run well with many so called "sports cars". besides the fact that i can carry 5 people, there golf clubs, a mountain bike for each of them, their luggage for three days, and a 5 cubic foot sub box all at the same time while still probably running the quarter in the fifteens with that load. don't tell me that's not performance. if you don't think an explorer can perform keep it to yourself, this is not a good place to say stuff like that. many of us LOVE our explorers, if you don't why are you here, and why do you own one?

whoa, whoa, heh. i think the point he was trying to make was that you can make most cars faster more easily and for less money than you can an explorer, at least thats the way i took it. you gotta remember, cars such as the turbo jetta or whatever volkswagon you can get a turbo on has computer controlled boost (i think...actually, im pretty sure), so when you throw in something as simple as a chip, you get all the benefits of a chip, plus itll up the boost on the damn thing, which is nice.

personally, i think its damn cool to make an explorer fast. my truck is far from fast, but i think it performs very well. trolls truck isnt much more than a dream for most of us, but a truck like alecs, for example, gives us hope (referring to the fact that it performs damn well and is still a daily driver) :) but on the flip side, i can definitely see why some people think its futile to try to make an explorer perform; theres not much aftermarket, theyre heavy as hell, etc. whatever blows your hair back, i guess.

Talking turbo boost and supercharger boost are 2 totally separate animals. Getting a supercharger to produce over 10-15 lbs of boost is very hard. Most superchargers don't like spinning over 14k RPM and they must spin must faster than that to generate boost pressures around 1 bar. Import engines that can have 20+ lbs of boost under turbo usually don't have more than 15 under an s/c. My friend's VR6 GTI with an Eaton setup similar to mine probably isn't gonna run more than 10-12#. The Eaton M62 has to spin above it's normal rpm to generate more. Also, would you like something spinning at 20k+ RPM attached to your drivebelt? Imagine if a bearing all of a sudden blows or something. You're toast. If a turbo goes out, usually you just have a damaged hood or exhaust. Basically a turbo is just a fan that turns with the force of another vector of air. An s/c has to be physically spun which can be much harder.

It's late, I'm ranting, I'm s.u. now.

expo im sorry but i think you took my post the wrong way. I respect you, tbomb, and alec more than anyone on these boards and more that a lot of people i know personally. I love alll of your guys cars and was in no way critisizing you or them. The explorer is a great vehicle and I love mine to death! Tbomb nailed my post. Thats exactly what i was trying to say....cept i guess it didnt come out that way. I really am sorry if you took it the wrong way. No hard feelings man.

Originally posted by Alec
If a turbo goes out, usually you just have a damaged hood or exhaust.

The worst a turbo could do is damage the exhaust, if you've ever played around with them theres an extremely rare chance that the flimsy little impeller blades could get through the housing... But you can shoot them down the exhaust if the bearings seize, but every time I did that it just required a new cat. Turbos don't "blow" like superchargers do, they just kinda stop working.

and might i add comparing boost on an import and boost on a american made 6 or V8 is apples and oranges. besides what was already said about the difference between turbo boost and s/c boost, if you could get 35 lbs. on ANY V8 it would make about 2500 HP. (only for about 5 seconds.) you put 20 lbs. on a Civic with bolt-ons and youve got 350 hp. you put 8 lbs on a 5.0 X with bolt-ons and youve got 350 hp. any questions?:D

hey man its cool. i just took it the wrong way and got on a tangent. i'm sure you know how that is. as for the turbo/charger comments everyone is right on. there really is no way to do the comparisons we are talking about.

I want the record to show that the troll is ia daily driven car that goes 14 miles to work everyday and 14 miles home. My race car is an 1000 hp mustang with a turbo. Turbos are awsome because they have no parasidic power loss. They superchargers draw up to 100 hp off the crank just to spin them. That is why when you put 10 psi in a honda with a turbo you make the same power as a v8 with a supercharger. I love my Explorer beacause I can tow a boat, carry junk to the dump, take 5 people to the movies, or go to the track a woop mustang, camaro, honda, corvette, or viper but. It is the ultimite sleeper and I have got the best or both worlds!

Originally posted by Troll
I want the record to show that the troll is ia daily driven car that goes 14 miles to work everyday and 14 miles home. My race car is an 1000 hp mustang with a turbo. Turbos are awsome because they have no parasidic power loss. They superchargers draw up to 100 hp off the crank just to spin them. That is why when you put 10 psi in a honda with a turbo you make the same power as a v8 with a supercharger. I love my Explorer beacause I can tow a boat, carry junk to the dump, take 5 people to the movies, or go to the track a woop mustang, camaro, honda, corvette, or viper but. It is the ultimite sleeper and I have got the best or both worlds!

oh man, heh. i just assumed that it wasnt a daily driver with all the work done to it (i thought that victor intake wasnt street legal? ;) ) the fact that you drive it everyday just makes me feel even more inferior, heh :D

I never said it passed emitions but since we dont have emitions in Miami I can use it.

Originally posted by Troll
I never said it passed emitions but since we dont have emitions in Miami I can use it.

thats good sh*t :D

you mean its a daily driver?! oh, my GOD. you have just made my wife even more unhappy about the sh*t i am gonna spend on mine!:p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Troll - I like that! Daily driving in the "World's Fastest Explorer"...

Did you ever finish that Miata V8 project?

Jon

Back