anyone connect this to a stock XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone connect this to a stock XLT

realscot2

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Hts ill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 xlt 4x4
Greetings

I have a brand new FoMoCo 8A8E-6A642-AA engine oil cooler ( pictures attached ) complete with lines. I want to add this but can't determine if it can be connected too my stock radiator. I DO NOT have towing, and am not adding it to tow, just for additional oil cooling.

Do you think its worth the effort to install it

Has anyone installed this OEM cooler to a stock XLT, I'd like to know what you needed to do to get it in.

Attachments

• 20200714_111229.jpg
    20200714_111229.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200714_111222.jpg
    20200714_111222.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 106

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you have better luck in getting responses than the other 2 threads that were started and got none. ;)

Peter

I hope you have better luck in getting responses than the other 2 threads that were started and got none. ;)

Peter
Thanks Peter, Can't hurt to try again with pics....I've sent the part # with these pics to various ford dealer/parts/service on line, not one reply. If I need a radiator swap, I'll sell it and the water cooled PTU.
I appreciate your input

Scott

I've often thought of adding something like this to my stock XLT as well (since I have an aftermarket tow hitch), so it'd be great if some member who's already taken on this project would post a step-by-step "installation guide" on how to do it all... assuming it can be done!

Hopefully, someone will see this post and add more info on any issues with making this upgrade.

Did the install of the stock engine oil cooler. All thats needed is a new lower radiator hose that has two ports ( upper and lower ). It took me about 4 hours mostly because there is VERY LITTLE room to get at the top and side bolts. I was able to use a 4" long, 1/4" drive extension with a mirror to get all the bolts started correctly and torqued.

I didn't loose much coolant, caught it in a clean oil drain pan. I pulled the air box assembly so I would have more room to work on the hose swap.

I haven't noticed any difference in the needle position of the temp gauge after 6 hours of interstate driving at 75. I guess my thought is how much engine cooling do you loose because of the coolant restriction at the ports for the cooled in the lower hose.

Keep in mind that the temperature display in the dash is not a true representation of the actual temperature. I believe it is more of an approximation.

Peter

I've just ordered all the parts needed to add this oil cooler feature to my own 2018. It's a pretty extensive list, but do-able. I'll be sure to post my own experience here on the Forum, once I've finally completed the project.

Thankfully, one thing you don't have to replace is the radiator, as the oil cooler uses the lower radiator hose to transfer some of the oil's heat into the processed coolant passing by, inside the hose.

I, too, just added the same OEM Ford Engine Oil Cooler system to my own 2018 XLT.

As "realscot2" experienced, I also had to replace the lower radiator hose, as well as install a different "Oil Filter Adaptor"... one that is constructed specially to accomodate the additional "Engine Oil Cooler" unit, which bolts onto the face of it. A set of dual-hoses is also needed to connect the cooler unit to the lower radiator hose.

As he mentioned, removing the air box assembly was helpful in performing the radiator hose swap. I also didn't lose much coolant after draining the radiator (only about 5 quarts total), which I saved and re-used once everything was completed. However, because adding the cooling unit and hoses increases the total amount of system capacity, I had to add another 4 more quarts of Yellow coolant, while following the Ford shop manual's recommended process for evacuating air out of the system, before driving it and then topping it off a couple more times as it cooled. I also had to add about a half-quart of additional oil, since the oil cooler itself fills with motor oil.

Lastly, and as he shared, there is VERY LITTLE room to do this work in, which was not surprising! I, too, had to use a mirror at times, as well as a magnetic 8mm socket, in order to get the 6 small screws in-place, before I could even begin to tighten them all into place. Ironically, the shop manual shows to tighten these small bolts to "67nm", but it would take a miracle to even begin to get a small torque wrench in there, much less to be able to read the darn thing. Since it took a lot of torque to initially remove the bolts holding the original oil filter adaptor to the engine block, I simply tightened all the bolts as tight as can be done with a small 1/4-drive ratchet wrench, and called it a day.

After a few days of driving it, the system altogether seems to not be showing any leaks so far, so that is good. The only thing left to do is to watch all the cuts and abrasions on my wrists and arms begin to heal, since there was no room to get hands and tools up in there easily! No pain, no gain, I guess!

IF anybody else is considering adding this feature to their own late-model Explorer, I can provide you with a complete list of the part numbers, if needed.

Attachments

• 1 - New Radiator Hose.jpg
    1 - New Radiator Hose.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 2 - New Crossover Hoses.jpg
    2 - New Crossover Hoses.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 3 - Original Basic Oil Filter Adaptor.jpg
    3 - Original Basic Oil Filter Adaptor.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 4 - Oil Filter Adaptor Removed.jpg
    4 - Oil Filter Adaptor Removed.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 5 - New Adaptor & Oil Cooler Unit - Installed.jpg
    5 - New Adaptor & Oil Cooler Unit - Installed.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 98

I, too, just added the same OEM Ford Engine Oil Cooler system to my own 2018 XLT.

As "realscot2" experienced, I also had to replace the lower radiator hose, as well as install a different "Oil Filter Adaptor"... one that is constructed specially to accomodate the additional "Engine Oil Cooler" unit, which bolts onto the face of it. A set of dual-hoses is also needed to connect the cooler unit to the lower radiator hose.

As he mentioned, removing the air box assembly was helpful in performing the radiator hose swap. I also didn't lose much coolant after draining the radiator (only about 5 quarts total), which I saved and re-used once everything was completed. However, because adding the cooling unit and hoses increases the total amount of system capacity, I had to add another 4 more quarts of Yellow coolant, while following the Ford shop manual's recommended process for evacuating air out of the system, before driving it and then topping it off a couple more times as it cooled. I also had to add about a half-quart of additional oil, since the oil cooler itself fills with motor oil.

Lastly, and as he shared, there is VERY LITTLE room to do this work in, which was not surprising! I, too, had to use a mirror at times, as well as a magnetic 8mm socket, in order to get the 6 small screws in-place, before I could even begin to tighten them all into place. Ironically, the shop manual shows to tighten these small bolts to "67nm", but it would take a miracle to even begin to get a small torque wrench in there, much less to be able to read the darn thing. Since it took a lot of torque to initially remove the bolts holding the original oil filter adaptor to the engine block, I simply tightened all the bolts as tight as can be done with a small 1/4-drive ratchet wrench, and called it a day.

After a few days of driving it, the system altogether seems to not be showing any leaks so far, so that is good. The only thing left to do is to watch all the cuts and abrasions on my wrists and arms begin to heal, since there was no room to get hands and tools up in there easily! No pain, no gain, I guess!

IF anybody else is considering adding this feature to their own late-model Explorer, I can provide you with a complete list of the part numbers, if needed.
I am trying to do this and would very much appreciate the complete parts list with numbers. I thank you in advance! Peter

I am trying to do this and would very much appreciate the complete parts list with numbers. I thank you in advance! Peter
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back